tmobile got the Note 2 this morning

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by shortylickens, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Shortcut

Shortcut Golden Member

Very impressed with the note 2 so far. Not laggy at all and the screen size is fantastic. My old iPhone 4 looks like a toy compared to this.

2. preslove

preslove Lifer

You tried t-mobile's $30 service? Straight talk should probably still work, if the problem is that the phone is locked.

3. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

I'm thinking about selling a few phones to get this one. Very interested in it.

4. LucJoe

LucJoe Golden Member

Pretty sure that was an early post. He got it working. The sim just wasn't seated properly or something.

I'm using it on the $30 plan without a problem. They even activated the plan for me in a T-Mobile store, which apparently is rare.

5. maniac5999

maniac5999 Senior member

6. Kanalua

Kanalua Diamond Member

7. maniac5999

maniac5999 Senior member

#132 maniac5999, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  8. Infrnl

Infrnl Golden Member

I guess it depends on location. I went to 2 stores a week ago and they both said they would sell to me off contract.
    I just decided for my needs it would be better in the end to do the value plan contract. If need be I will just pay the etf's. I didn't want to hassle the work arounds for the $30 prepaid plan.

#133 Infrnl, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  9. maniac5999

maniac5999 Senior member

Oh, both stores I went to initially told me they could too. When I broke out my plastic is when they both backed out.

10. Chiropteran

Chiropteran Diamond Member

What is the difference between the $650 full price note 2 from t-mobile and this "factory unlocked" version on amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...eywords=note+2

Is there something about the t-mobile version that makes it "locked"? Could you use the t-mobile version other prepaid providers that use hspa+, or is it really locked in some way?

11. Sid59

Sid59 Lifer

You'll have to compare the radios/frequency on the amazon version to see if it's compatible with tmobile's network.

12. Chiropteran

I was aking from the other direction. The T-mobile site has the phone cheaper, so it would be the logic choice to buy from... I'm just wondering if the "factory unlocked" aspect of the amazon listing actually amounts to anything useful.

13. Infrnl

Infrnl Golden Member

Tmobile phone will only work on tmobile and att along with st. It will support lte supposedly.

Amazon unlocked doesnt supoort lte and does not work with tmobile from what ive read. You would want a us unlocked version but I havent heard of one. Verizon model might be the best option but I do not know what bands it supports.

14. golem

golem Senior member

Tmobile will only work with Tmobile until you get it unlocked. Once you do, it will work on ATT frequencies but not on their LTE.

Amazon unlocked will will on ATT and Tmo for voice, but only HSPA on ATT ( I don't think ATT have a HSPA+ network?) It will be edge on Tmo, unless you live in a city where Tmo has refarmed it bands to match ATT. I believe there are currently only 2 cities that have gone through this process, but there are parts of other cities that will have been refarmed. It's supposed to be fully done by the end of 2013.

The Tmobile phone is supposed to have the hardwear to use LTE, it's just "turned off" somehow for now.

15. Chiropteran

Googled and supposedly t-mobile will give you the code to unlock if you buy the phone outright. No reason to buy from amazon then, IMO.

16. you2

you2 Diamond Member

How is reception on the note ii compared to other phones ?

17. Nahtzee

Nahtzee Member

What I dont understand about this is how exactly large the phone is. What do you use that screen size for? You need that large of a real-estate for basic media consumption? The stylus is nice, but you can get a stylus for any smartphone. How is it not awkward when holding it in your hand?

I demo'd it at a store and I couldn't hold it (maybe im small)

18. golem

golem Senior member

Treat it like a small tablet. I ordered one and I don't plan on putting it up to my head to make calls. Will use headphones for that.

19. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

typing, pic editing, spreadsheets.

20. dougp

dougp Diamond Member

You've held it in person, but you don't understand how exactly large the phone is? And, why else would you get a 5.5" screen - media consumption is good, as well is browsing and playing games. There's a reason why this phone style is called a phablet - a cross between a phone and a tablet.

And about the stylus, but no, you cannot get a stylus like this for any device. The amount of reference points available are much higher since it was designed for the screen, compared to a generic capacitive stylus which is very bulbous and as accurate as your own finger.

21. Chiropteran

I bought one today. Should arrive tomorrow. Pricey, and I don't *need* a new phone, but I'm calling it a treat to reward myself for switching from Verizon. Also this gives me a spare phone, so I can lend one to my fiancee to convince her that t-mobile service is fine.

Besides, a $650 phone +$30/month service is still cheaper than a $199 subsidized phone and $100/month service after a mere 7 months.

22. Dice144

Dice144 Senior member

Hope an extended battery comes out for the phone. I know it has a bigger battery then most phones but I want insanely stupid long battery life!

23. shortylickens

shortylickens No Lifer

Like I said I been going almost two whole days, for a modern hi-end smartphone thats damn good.
    Only my moms Blackberry does better.

24. Dice144

Dice144 Senior member

I have the ATT Note2 in route (hopefully). Would rather have days. Maybe someday

25. dougp

dougp Diamond Member

My wife ordered mine for me today - the lowest she was able to get AT&T to was $274 and no activation fee (since we're Premier as well as that Premier Premium or whatever it is that's being trialed in Houston.)

I'd expect an extended battery, as Seidio has one for the original Note as well. They're not far from my house, maybe I can convince them to sell me one on the cheap if I do a review. Hmm ...