Tivo vs. VCR

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
TIVO and PVRs in general are here to stay, VCRs will eventually die out but it will take a very very long time.

<--- Happy ReplayTV user, the best $217 I ever spent, no more VCR plus codes, pause live TV, record all TV shows with a certain actor or word in their title, 30 second commercial skip button, no monthly fees (unlike TIVO).

If you want to read more about TIVO you should check out AVSForum.com

fatbaby

Banned
May 7, 2001
tivo, no matter how many ads it blocks out...will still show ads!

Example:

A few months ago, TIVO and [whoever made austin powers 3] cut a deal...Tivo boxes would DL the trailer and various ads in the "off hours" and display them at certain times in the "on hours"

Mungla

Dec 23, 2000
A few months ago, TIVO and [whoever made austin powers 3] cut a deal...Tivo boxes would DL the trailer and various ads in the "off hours" and display them at certain times in the "on hours"

That's weird because mine doesn't do that.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: fatbaby
tivo, no matter how many ads it blocks out...will still show ads!

Example:

What are you talking about? I have had my TiVo for over a year and I have never had this issue. TiVo doens't just SHOW you stuff when it wants to.

Have you ever used one?

BTW, my vote is that TiVo will take over the VCR. It is so awesome and easy to use. Pause live TV, tell it to record your favorite shows (even if they change day/time), etc. It is great.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Since I bought my Tivo, I rarely use my VCR anymore.

Just as rare for me now is watching a live TV show directly off the air. With the live TV buffer, I can pause and rewind, and skip commercials if I've paused for a little while before I watch the show.

Unfortunately, my Tivo is having trouble. :( The HD inside is spinning full time when the unit is plugged in, so I guess the life of the drive is an issue.

The good thing is, they use an ordinary 3.5 inch IDE drive. I just ordered a 60 GB Maxtor D540X 5400 RPM drive as a replacement. Out with the old and in with the new, which will make my 30 hour Tivo into a 60 hour Tivo. :D

EDIT: No, it doesn't just pop stuff up at random and force you to watch. It did download a Sheryl Crow video, but I had the opportunity to delete it immediately when I accessed the main menu. It also records shows on otherwise unused space based on what you have told it that you like via the thumbs-up button, but it never deletes a show that you record yourself to make room for these suggestions, even after it is past the "save until" date. It only deletes an expired show to make room another show that you have specifically asked for. You can turn the suggestions recording feature off, but I choose to leave it on, since there is no functional disadvantage what so ever to doing so.

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Mungla

That's weird because mine doesn't do that.

The TiVo will download ads and trailers during it's daily call, then they will sit in the menu. If you want to watch them, you click on them and they play. Tivo will never show you anything you don't want to watch....