Tivo, or Replay TV???

resinboy

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I have been using a 20 hour Tivo for a little over a year. Loved it, until it lost the ability to change channels on my cable box ( still works with the cable remote), and locks up overnight, and stutters more and more often during playback.
They now have the Series2 available- more record time, more features, etc. I am hesitant, with thelast experience with the Philips unit I have ( JUST out of warranty, of course).
Replay TV used to charge more up front, but included the program guide for free: now they have a monthly charge as well, after having dropped their retail prices. Also, replay has the ability to access your unit, if hooked up to broadband, from a remote location, in case you forgot to set it up to record something.
Anyone here use Replay?? I am looking to buy this evening, and need some opinions!!!!

Resinboy

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I still use and love the original ReplayTV 3060.

However if I were to buy new today I'd seriously consider either TIVO, DIRECTIVO or Microsoft's Ultimate TV.

AVSForum.com has a great PVR community

Sepen

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have 4 DirectTivos, 2 Tivos and once had a Replay. Each has there +/-. Go to the site Russ mentioned, it is the best.

dwil

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
20hr Replay
30hr Replay
30hr Replay/Pansonic built into the TV

I like Replay.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
well... you can connect your replay to your home network and send and receive shows from anyone at planetreplay.com or anyone else, and you can use your computer as another replay so you can buy the cheap one and keep the warranty valid by using your computer's extra hd space (also burn cds easily of your fav shows, etc...).

<--- got his replaytv 4040 for ~$100 after all costs and selling his original 160 hour replay, and loves it so much :D

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Sears B&M have some Panasonic Showstopper (ReplayTV) 30 hour models on clearance for $199.

Pretty nice considering there's NO MONTHLY FEE (unlike TIVO), better interface and that handy dandy 30 second quick skip button.

As always with Hot Deals, YMMV