Titanfall : is the starting carabine the best/op weapon?

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
The C.A.R. SMG is pretty excellent.Best part is if you haven't unlocked it,half the spectres and other a.i use it and its a easy kit pick up.

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
For point blank range, shotgun is one of the most powerful and easy to use.
My main is G2A4 though, excellent mid-range, powerful in close range with great precision overall.

Carbine is definitely an excellent choice, especially after you acquire the extended magazine add-on.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
k49Zkfh.jpg

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Smart Gun is OP. Not just for the auto-aiming, but for the targeting indicators. It lets you pick up nearby targets a fraction of a second quicker, which is a tremendous advantage. I don't use it though, makes the game too easy and not fun.

As for carbine vs SMG, carbine will be better for looser maps where can reach out to medium range, but SMG will own the short range. I usually don't go with the CAR though, go with the R-97 and unlock scatterstorm (reduces the already bad accuracy but greatly increases fire rate). You'll be able to go toe to toe with shotgunners and smart gunners in close range. Particulaly with the run-and-gun kit (sprint while shooting SMGs and pistols).

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah the Smart Gun is ridiculous. I have to say it is pretty fun to use every once in a while though.

KT

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Yeah the Smart Gun is ridiculous. I have to say it is pretty fun to use every once in a while though.

KT

I don't care for it period myself,its pretty much a glorified aimbot of sorts. I have used it against a.i like in Frontier Defense and your headshotting 3 bots in under 2 seconds by aiming in their general area lol.

Put that type of weapon in any other fps and see how that goes,but apparently some say its ok cause its Titanfall. I wouldn't be surprised if the population in Titanfall is as dead as it is due to that weapon.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I don't care for it period myself,its pretty much a glorified aimbot of sorts. I have used it against a.i like in Frontier Defense and your headshotting 3 bots in under 2 seconds by aiming in their general area lol.

Put that type of weapon in any other fps and see how that goes,but apparently some say its ok cause its Titanfall. I wouldn't be surprised if the population in Titanfall is as dead as it is due to that weapon.

It almost certainly is. It's also one of the reasons there's no titanfall e-sports league, it would just be a bunch of bunny hopping smart-gun kung-fu, not that interesting to watch.

That said, it makes it incredibly satisfying to mow down a smart-gunner in mid-bunny-hop.

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
Smart Gun is OP. Not just for the auto-aiming, but for the targeting indicators. It lets you pick up nearby targets a fraction of a second quicker, which is a tremendous advantage. I don't use it though, makes the game too easy and not fun.

As for carbine vs SMG, carbine will be better for looser maps where can reach out to medium range, but SMG will own the short range. I usually don't go with the CAR though, go with the R-97 and unlock scatterstorm (reduces the already bad accuracy but greatly increases fire rate). You'll be able to go toe to toe with shotgunners and smart gunners in close range. Particulaly with the run-and-gun kit (sprint while shooting SMGs and pistols).

KT

i havent tried it and i m not goint to try sg, it s just not my gamestyle at all.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
i havent played titanfall that much but i remember using the carabine almost exclusively

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
It almost certainly is. It's also one of the reasons there's no titanfall e-sports league, it would just be a bunch of bunny hopping smart-gun kung-fu, not that interesting to watch.

That said, it makes it incredibly satisfying to mow down a smart-gunner in mid-bunny-hop.

LOL i have had some of those guys attempting to jump onto my Titan and its a blast just blasting them away before they go for it lol.It's like"denied,sit down!" lol.

Honestly if i play Titanfall,i'm jumping into Frontier Defense.Attrition becomes dreadfully boring but exactly like COD,if you can't be Rambo and the mode is team based,the modes are nearly dead.

I own 3 COD games,the only modes you are guaranteed to find is TDM,forget anything that involves team work.Just like this game and i actually hate the run and gun gameplay that has plagued many of the new shooters.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
people still play titanfall lol? I thought that game died out 2 months in. Sad really, because it was pretty promising. But the lack of a server browser really killed it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
people still play titanfall lol? I thought that game died out 2 months in. Sad really, because it was pretty promising. But the lack of a server browser really killed it.

It's certainly not dead (still easy to find an Attrition game at 5 am), and they've patched in a few features since release. Plus a couple of map packs that add some variety.

It is kind of a one-note experience though, unfortunately. I'll play every few days but usually not for more than a match or three.

Just goes to show that even a good concept and great implementation can't save a game if the developers are too boneheaded. Without a server browser they basically deny the players the ability to make the game their own, so most lose interest rather quickly. This wasn't a mistake either, Respawn was quite open about how they wanted you to "play the game they wanted you to play".

They really need more weapons though. At over 100 hours in I've managed to play just about every possible play-style ad-nauseum.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008

Far from dead. I've been playing it quite a bit this past week and there's always at least a few hundred people online in my region. Not too hard to find a full lobby on most of the game modes.

Per OP's question, yeah, carbine is probably the best overall weapon... although they nerfed it a tiny bit since launch. Shotgun is probably the most OP weapon now, it's too easy to use. (And the smart pistol currently isn't, nor ever was, an OP weapon.)

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Far from dead. I've been playing it quite a bit this past week and there's always at least a few hundred people online in my region. Not too hard to find a full lobby on most of the game modes.

Per OP's question, yeah, carbine is probably the best overall weapon... although they nerfed it a tiny bit since launch. Shotgun is probably the most OP weapon now, it's too easy to use. (And the smart pistol currently isn't, nor ever was, an OP weapon.)

So it just happens that in the last dozen or so Attrition matches I've played the top scoring player was always a smart-gunner? Plus while I don't play smart gun as a general rule, when I do my scores get noticeably higher.

Smart-gun + cloak = bunny hop, look and shoot. You can't miss and are nigh impossible to hit. Particularly with the advanced targeting. Plus the simple fact that targeting indicators show up on screen while locking allow you to spot potential threats (or even bots) when you otherwise wouldn't.

The only counters are SMG or Shotgun at close range (and your aim better be perfect), or some other weapon at long range, but a good smart gunner isn't going to be running in straight lines out in the open.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
So it just happens that in the last dozen or so Attrition matches I've played the top scoring player was always a smart-gunner?

There's your problem. You're playing Attrition. It's the most casual and least-invested gamemode in Titanfall.

In fact, while I usually never use the smart pistol, Attrition is the only exception because it's mostly just 1) farm grunts 2) win. Smart pistol is efficient for killing lots of grunts so that's what I do.

Lame gamemode warrants using a lame weapon. :p

I don't consider the smart pistol to be an OP weapon at all, because the only situations where you successfully kill an opponent with it are situations where you've managed to sneak up on them, or you've gotten the beat on them; in other words, situations where you would have easily been able to kill them anyway with any weapon. If that makes sense.

There are occassions when you can get into face-to-face firefights with an opponent and still manage to win with the smart pistol, but if you actually get in a one-on-one encounter with a smart pistol user and they still manage to kill you, then frankly, you're bad at Titanfall.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
There's your problem. You're playing Attrition. It's the most casual and least-invested gamemode in Titanfall.

In fact, while I usually never use the smart pistol, Attrition is the only exception because it's mostly just 1) farm grunts 2) win. Smart pistol is efficient for killing lots of grunts so that's what I do.

Lame gamemode warrants using a lame weapon. :p

I don't consider the smart pistol to be an OP weapon at all, because the only situations where you successfully kill an opponent with it are situations where you've managed to sneak up on them, or you've gotten the beat on them; in other words, situations where you would have easily been able to kill them anyway with any weapon. If that makes sense.

There are occassions when you can get into face-to-face firefights with an opponent and still manage to win with the smart pistol, but if you actually get in a one-on-one encounter with a smart pistol user and they still manage to kill you, then frankly, you're bad at Titanfall.

Granted it is less powerful in other modes. But it doesn't help that virtually no one plays the other modes, at least not when I'm online. :p

As for the situations where it is effective, given that there's no teamwork to speak of in 99% of Attrition matches everyone is constantly vulnerable to being "snuck up" on, and that's where most pilot kills come from. So for my part I turn around periodically as I go. The difference between the smart-gun and other weapons in that context is that if I spot someone coming up from behind and they have a regular weapon, they're probably still sprinting and I have a large fraction of a second to react, plus even if they get the drop on me with an SMG it will take multiple hits to kill me and I might nail a lucky headshot in that time. If they have a smart gun, then by the time I notice them they've already started locking on. And by the time I turn around and aim all they need is one mouse click to end the fight.

Head-to-head in close quarters there's also that annoyingly effective maneuver where they can jump all over the place and keep locking on so long they keep looking at you. So you better be the fastest gun in the west and your aim better be perfect, because if you empty your SMG at them and even 2 or 3 bullets miss, you're dead. If your first two shotgun blasts miss, you're dead. They might be down to 5% life, but you're still dead. I've been there more times than I can count.

Now yeah if the smart-gunner has no idea how to use the thing and runs straight at you, or doesn't know how to maneuver while maintaining aim, or if you're outside their targeting range, then you're golden. Satchel charges are also useful. But it's no coincidence that the top scoring player, including pilot kills, will almost always be a smart-gunner if you're playing Attrition.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
i just feel like Realistic weapons are too boring. I'd rather have UT/Quake kind of weapons that are fun and varied and need time to get used to them and master them

exploding combos with a shock rifle never gets boring

Last edited:

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
q3arena
ut2003

end of good competitive games list imho

titanfall it s better than all the other horrible games (battlefield 3-4 cod ...) but still no good

realistic = no fast action. can be easy or hard, but it needs some tactics and to learn things
Arena= fast and good, but if u re slow u ll lose despite your application. i like it

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
q3arena
ut2003

end of good competitive games list imho

titanfall it s better than all the other horrible games (battlefield 3-4 cod ...) but still no good

realistic = no fast action. can be easy or hard, but it needs some tactics and to learn things
Arena= fast and good, but if u re slow u ll lose despite your application. i like it

For my part I'm a fan of Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm. Realistic-ish, but the action can still be very fast in close quarters (Banzai charges particularly) and the team that wins is the one with the best communication (squad leaders placing accurate arty marks and commanders using the right artillery for a given situation is critical, as is general coordination of the team). On an individual level it's all about placement and who sees who first, as well as which weapons at which rangers.

You can't be Rambo (well, you can but it never lasts), but it's probably the best team-based shooter I've ever seen. If you just go off on your own and run around in the open all that's going to happen is you getting repeatedly shot before you can kill anyone. Keeps the noobs in line. :)

Omar F1

Sep 29, 2009
Head-to-head in close quarters there's also that annoyingly effective maneuver where they can jump all over the place and keep locking on so long they keep looking at you. So you better be the fastest gun in the west and your aim better be perfect, because if you empty your SMG at them and even 2 or 3 bullets miss, you're dead. If your first two shotgun blasts miss, you're dead. They might be down to 5% life, but you're still dead. I've been there more times than I can count.

Now yeah if the smart-gunner has no idea how to use the thing and runs straight at you, or doesn't know how to maneuver while maintaining aim, or if you're outside their targeting range, then you're golden. Satchel charges are also useful. But it's no coincidence that the top scoring player, including pilot kills, will almost always be a smart-gunner if you're playing Attrition.
Lately I got used to throw satchel charges in very close combat against smart-pistol player and get us both blown up.

Nhirlathothep

Aug 23, 2014
www.youtube.com
For my part I'm a fan of Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm. Realistic-ish, but the action can still be very fast in close quarters (Banzai charges particularly) and the team that wins is the one with the best communication (squad leaders placing accurate arty marks and commanders using the right artillery for a given situation is critical, as is general coordination of the team). On an individual level it's all about placement and who sees who first, as well as which weapons at which rangers.

You can't be Rambo (well, you can but it never lasts), but it's probably the best team-based shooter I've ever seen. If you just go off on your own and run around in the open all that's going to happen is you getting repeatedly shot before you can kill anyone. Keeps the noobs in line. :)

the word nob u used is correct, new players.
there is a learning curve, ROII isn t nob-friendly

but it s a different story talk about skilled players: in ut 2003 and q3arena pple can play for years and remain losers if they re slow, despite their aquired knowledge

i wont say this is good or bad, but i think that win in fast games is "hard to learn"

Last edited: