Titanfall 2

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
when its $10 on steam ill get it. Doesnt look to me like the MP will last too long, so this game will be all about the SP anyways so no point in paying full price.

It's never gonna be on Steam. It's EA so Origin only.

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
Update: my initial thoughts were a bit harsh. After finishing campaign, I found that I am getting a bit into the multiplayer and it can be fun and fast. However, I still think that Titans feel like a different skin and not like a different machine ala Battletech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm just not a big fan of FPS. The one I like playing is Serious Sam... but I did buy Doom yesterday, $20 on humblebundle less 10 % for monthly subscribers.

codyray10

Apr 14, 2008
They ship you out a disk or card I suppose? Seems like that price is for prime members only. Might as well try the prime for 30 days if I want to get this now.

My copy was a physical from BB, it's a code in the box you redeem on origin for download

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Just got the game. There are a number of small changes which I don't like. Like, it doesn't have the same level of detail or small touches that the original had. I really liked the original MP campaign. The writing was pretty good and the characterization was classic COD.

I really wish that portraits were animated when talking to you, that sort of thing, like in the original where you'd see them yelling into the radio while explosions went off in the background.

And the unlock system is irritating because it is a very long grind.

Overall the SP campaign is quite good. There are touches of FarCry and Portal and Half Life 2 in the game. One level is like Zelda in a way that is pretty awesome. Again, I just wish that the game didn't have boss fights at all.

I really wish this franchise were more popular. It is the most fun I've had in a shooter ever. Like, I want to see animated series, comics, novels, etc. I think it's better than Halo easily...

Reactions: Chocu1a

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
The campaign actually in many ways feels paint by the numbers. Especially the boss sections of it. But it is also brilliant in ways. I dunno, I feel like it lacks a lot of the original's character. It feels alot like Dragon Age 3 compared to Dragon Age 2.

The multiplayer is really pissing me off right now. Like, it is really hard, and it takes forever to unlock weapons, so it's like the hardcore guys who have unlocked everything have got all of the advantages and newbies don't stand a chance. Beyond that, you rarely get titans now, so experienced players just steamroll everyone else.

Overall, I think the original had much better multiplayer.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
The campaign actually in many ways feels paint by the numbers. Especially the boss sections of it. But it is also brilliant in ways. I dunno, I feel like it lacks a lot of the original's character. It feels alot like Dragon Age 3 compared to Dragon Age 2.

The multiplayer is really pissing me off right now. Like, it is really hard, and it takes forever to unlock weapons, so it's like the hardcore guys who have unlocked everything have got all of the advantages and newbies don't stand a chance. Beyond that, you rarely get titans now, so experienced players just steamroll everyone else.

Overall, I think the original had much better multiplayer.
I disagree. I have unlocked most weapons for the classes I play pretty easily. I consider myself a noob, too. I usually get to call in 3-4 titans per round. Plus, all weapons can be purchased.

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
I'm having a lot of fun on this game.

I created an Anandtech Network. Simply search the tag ATOT and it will show up. Feel free to join the network and see if anyone is on while you're playing. Hopefully we can get a reliable group to game together.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
Maybe its time to get this for PC. Then again, I'd like to get that helmet so maybe I'll wait till it comes down really good....

hondaf17

Sep 25, 2005
What's everyone's favorite weapon and Titan?

For me I like the Flatline - more damage than the R-201.

Titan I was using Legion but have switched back to Tone. Seems like Tone is most popular right now.

Double XP last weekend was nice. Gained lots of rank.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
What setting do I have to turn off to make it look less grainy? Everything is at the highest setting by default so far.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
damn, 1st game i played and pretty sure there was a cheater in it.
the map i played seemed really small compared to maps in the original.
seems much harder in MP than the 1st game too.
need to play with weapons to figure out what I like.

I need to figure out how to use the grappling hook thing. i assumed it would show in the bottom left corner but didn't.

played part of the campaign so far. its ok, nothing special.
the level with the factory was annoying with all the moving stuff and having to jump/wall run all the time. died countless times there.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yea online takes getting used to. Way too fast paced but it's fine. I need to mess with loadouts and figure out what works best. Had a decent one in the first version of the game. This one is a bit different with the gun classes.

I just wish the film grain could go away.
Also to use the grapple it's middle mouse button/wheel click.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
it does seem a bit grainy. not sure where that is coming from.

damn, i might be worse at this than BF1...
Of course it seems like it's going to take forever to be able to unlock anything else.
I feel like I am getting killed in 1 shot by enemies and never know where they are coming from. All I ever seem to kill is the bots.
I was a lot better at the 1st game than this one.

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
Not sure where you guys are seeing grain. Regarding MP: It also took me a while to get somewhat decent, but I still die a lot. Now they have double experience, so may be a good time to get a few unlocks in.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I dunno I'm playing at 1440p max settings and single player and multi both have film grain. It's like subtle smoke around you.

Single player makes the grain more apparent. I just did a google search and found a lot of people complaining about it.

I leveled up a bit this morning in multiplayer. It's easier to get kills than in bf 1 that's for sure. You just have to get all the player moves right like jumping, grappling and knowing how to flank.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Not sure where you guys are seeing grain. Regarding MP: It also took me a while to get somewhat decent, but I still die a lot. Now they have double experience, so may be a good time to get a few unlocks in.
It just doesn't seem clear. Its like there's a gritty filter or something.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
It just doesn't seem clear. Its like there's a gritty filter or something.

It isn't just you. The game does use a grainy overlay that some horror genre games use. Why Respawn chose to do this is beyond frustrating. The first Titanfall never used this technique and looked much sharper.

Supposedly in the next patch they will offer a way to disable the grainy overlay in the video options.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
It isn't just you. The game does use a grainy overlay that some horror genre games use. Why Respawn chose to do this is beyond frustrating. The first Titanfall never used this technique and looked much sharper.

Supposedly in the next patch they will offer a way to disable the grainy overlay in the video options.

awesome to hear!