Titan X Launch

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
It's the fastest single GPU gaming card at the moment. That's what it is. If I were willing to part with $1,000, I think it would make me very happy.
With this statement, I agree.

titan.png

This is, however, a partially false statement, as it's being advertised as a multi-purpose, fastest GPU on the planet. Looks like, they didn't learn anything from the 970 case.

Last edited:

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
With this statement, I agree.

titan.png

This is, however, a partially false statement, as it's being advertised as a multi-purpose, fastest GPU on the planet. Looks like, they still haven't learned their lesson with GTX 970.

As long as it isnt Double Precision, that statement is true. Titan X is still very useful in a ton of other compute applications

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
As long as it isnt Double Precision, that statement is true. Titan X is still very useful in a ton of other compute applications
And what about 10 bit per channel color output?

Sorry, this isn't the most advanced (10bpc), fastest (FP64) graphics card available on the planet today. At best, this is a compromise product on an "aging" node process aimed at gamers that care little about these professional features.

Last edited:

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013

Sorry, this isn't the most advanced (10bpc), fastest (FP64) graphics card available on the planet today. At best, this is a compromise product on an "aging" node process.
Who said it was the fastest FP64 graphic card?
As long as its the fastest in other applications which use OpenCL, FP32 or CUDA, its a true statement.
They could even have tested the GPU against any other in various applications and gave them a top score in which Titan X came on top with. Advertising is, well advertising. You got to read between the lines :p

10bit output is a must for how many exactly? I don`t disagree that Titan X offer less than original Titan at all. It seems that Nvidia is making people who need certain features to buy Quadro 6000 instead

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
@ Cloudfire777

The Nvidia marketing people haven't caught up with times. This is evident. These sort of lines may have been okay 5 years ago but not today.

You buy a $1000+ graphics card, you expect it to have every feature there is. Especially, when it is being advertised as crème de la crème. The Nvidia web-site isn't helpful, they didn't even make amendments to their 970 page. You support that attitude? I don't.

Last edited:

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005

Sorry, this isn't the most advanced (10bpc), fastest (FP64) graphics card available on the planet today. At best, this is a compromise product on an "aging" node process aimed at gamers that care little about these professional features.

Even the professional apps available are largely only using FP32. While I do agree that it sucks to pay $1k for a crippled card, you'll struggle to find ANY commercial software that actually benefits from FP64.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9059/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-review/15
Folding at home double precision is the only area the Titan X noticeably suffers. More importantly though, AMD's cards are still very competitive in compute, it seems very strange AMD has almost no market share in the professional markets. They've had this advantage for years now and have yet to capitalize on it, if I was AMD, I'd be getting software out there that makes use of OpenCL yesterday.
A few killer apps, funded by AMD, is all it would have taken to make their cards the gotos for professionals with the kind of lead they had. They should have volunteered to accelerate Excel or something.

Last edited:

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
@ Cloudfire777

The Nvidia marketing people haven't caught up with times. This is evident. These sort of lines may have been okay 5 years ago but not today.

You buy a $1000+ graphics card, you expect it to have every feature there is. Especially, when it is being advertised as crème de la crème. The Nvidia web-site isn't helpful, they didn't even make amendments to their 970 page. You support that attitude? I don't.

You are asking for Quadro features/performance in a $999 package.
Don`t make me find AMD slides with the same marketing tricks. Both companies are equally bad at this. Mantle, Firepro etc, they are all boasted to sell obviously.

Last edited:

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005

In the NVIDIA camp, this is true - they only offer 10bpp output and FP64 in their Quadro/Tesla lines. AMD does offer 10bpp and FP64 in all (hyperbole/most) of their products. However, neither camp makes a truly "all-in-wonder" card*.

If you NEED the most compute you can get, then you don't buy a GeForce or Radeon SKU, period.

If you NEED the most CAD/CAM power you can get, then you don't buy a GeForce or Radeon SKU, period.

If you NEED the most frames per second you can get in games, then you buy Quad-SLI Titan X, period.

*I used to own an ATI AIW X800XT. ;-)

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
@ Cloudfire777

Don`t make me find AMD slides with the same marketing tricks. Both companies are equally bad at this. Mantle, Firepro etc, they are all boasted to sell obviously.

Don't make me break you two up. Leave the AMD vs. NVidia arguing out of this thread.

-Rvenger

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
@Fox5

You have some good points. But, whether we need FP64 or not, doesn't matter. When you buy something that is expensive and claims to be the ultimate, most-advanced, fastest card on the planet, you come to expect to have these features. Clearly, as a Titan successor, Titan X falls short in a few areas (FP64, cooling and noise, which doesn't seem to reflect in reviewers scores, though). The original Titan was truer to Nvidia marketing claims. Furthermore, that 10 bit color per channel support would help make that claim to be something based on, so instead of having two cards, you could just have one nvidia card.

Titan X is a much more compromise product, but Nvidia is still trying to sell it, like the best all-in-one card ever. Which it clearly is not. I am just annoyed by the Nvidia marketing, that is. Especially, as this has happened before with the 970 card. It shines as a gaming card and was designed as such. But Nvidia's business ethique along with the marketing claims (which some seem to be just hot air) make a big dent in Nvidia's reputation, at least, in my eyes.

Last edited:

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
@Fox5

You have some good points. But, whether we need FP64 or not, doesn't matter. When you buy something that is expensive and claims to be the ultimate, most-advanced, fastest card on the planet, you come to expect to have these features. Clearly, as a Titan successor, Titan X falls short in a few areas (FP64, cooling and noise, which doesn't seem to reflect in reviewers scores, though). The original Titan was truer to Nvidia marketing claims. Furthermore, that 10 bit color per channel support would help make that claim to be something based on, so instead of having two cards, you could just have one nvidia card.

Titan X is a much more compromise product, but Nvidia is still trying to sell it, like the best all-in-one card ever. Which it clearly is not. I am just annoyed by the Nvidia marketing, that is. Especially, as this has happened before with the 970 card. It shines as a gaming card and was designed as such. But Nvidia's business ethique along with the marketing claims (which some seem to be just hot air) make a big dent in Nvidia's reputation, at least, in my eyes.

I'm not really clear on what your issue is. The statement you seem to be upset about doesn't say anything at all about FP64, 10-bit color, etc. It is standard marketing language. Puffery perhaps, but there is no possible way that anyone would read that statement and assume you are getting a card with all of these niche features you are describing. Do you expect their marketing materials to come with a checklist of every conceivable feature? If you need that detail, go to the spec sheets.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
@ Sexy

My problem is with false advertising. Being something that it isn't.

No detailed information is available on the official web site (maybe you could help me find the official Titan X datasheet), except for basic details available here. Perhaps, these are very niche features, but they are not mentioned on the official web site, in any shape or form. Instead, we are led to believe their misleading slogan, which I am not going to quote again. For a product this technical, at this price... it is absolutely fine to expect the full specifications of the product in detail, being easily accessible and found for possible customers.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

When all else failed that was THE reason that justified the $1000 price of Titans. Nobody (almost) used it, but it made it worth it. Now it's gone and people are acting like it doesn't matter, which is what the opponents of the Titan pricing were saying all along. All you heard was, but it's a prosumer card.