Titan X Launch

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pandamonia

Jun 13, 2013
They have to understand that some people have really high income that $999 a pop is just small change to them. They just want the fastest.

i think this is BS.

If you earn your own money then its still a lot of money.

If someone else earned that money then its small potatoes.

Thats usually how it is.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I used to buy a new graphics card every year since around 1999, in the $300-500 range. Same for CPU. With the slowdowns (especially on the CPU side) and the price increases (GPU), I now find myself upgrading less frequently. And its not for lack of interest, I'm as much of a hardware geek as ever. Nor is it because of lack of money, because my financial situation is better.

If there is/was an enthusiast market that did well for so long, why did the products and pricing change?

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Block is installed. Gotta drain the loop and make a final decision on whether I'm gonna swap out for x99 at the same time. Hope to have some results up sooner rather than later. In the meantime, here are some before, during, and after shots.

tvtf8A8.jpg

ss64zj9.jpg

xw0VICj.jpg

S545Ecv.jpg

4q7piOn.jpg

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
Yes, it's the EK acetyl and nickel full cover block with nickel backplate.

I have to say, I do like the stock cooler design, but when you pull it apart it does seem to be somewhat lacking in cooling for the VRMs and other power delivery circuits.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
I used to buy a new graphics card every year since around 1999, in the $300-500 range. Same for CPU. With the slowdowns (especially on the CPU side) and the price increases (GPU), I now find myself upgrading less frequently. And its not for lack of interest, I'm as much of a hardware geek as ever. Nor is it because of lack of money, because my financial situation is better.

If there is/was an enthusiast market that did well for so long, why did the products and pricing change?

Really dont understand what you are saying.

I work in the automotive industry, have a look at the MSRP of new cars today.

Today 300-500 will get you some amassing performance. You can buy AMD single card flagship and have great performance. Obviously the times have changed though. AMD is struggling and is in dire needs of higher revenue. It is very expensive and hard to be a company that makes cutting edge computer chips. Today, budgets are much larger and money doesnt go as far.

It has been 16 years since 1999. I really dont think you are making the point you thought you were.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Block is installed. Gotta drain the loop and make a final decision on whether I'm gonna swap out for x99 at the same time. Hope to have some results up sooner rather than later. In the meantime, here are some before, during, and after shots.

snipped pics

Damn, the Titan X PCB looks so similar to my old 680. Plain jane and unassuming. So do my 290's, but I guess the same can be said about any reference design. On a side note, love the plain nickel/acetal EK blocks. That hideous CSQ design they have now can die in a fire.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Really dont understand what you are saying.

I work in the automotive industry, have a look at the MSRP of new cars today.

This analogy doesn't work at all. First of all, modern cars not only offer superior performance and efficiency, but they are safer, larger (while often lighter) and have a lot more features we actually use. Most of the new features in GPUs (TrueAudio or Voxel Global Illumination Lighting) are useless marketing gimmicks. Second of all, a car is a necessity for many people every single day. Not everyone plays videogames every day. Thirdly, more than 1 family member can benefit from a great car either as a secondary driver or passenger(s), but it's unlikely 2-3 people are gaming on your rig.

Cars also have decent resale values 5 years from purchase date and safe cars save lives, while in 5 years a GPU is worth about 20% or less of its MSRP and GPU does very little to impact the quality of your life. In other words, if you downgraded from the S-Class to a Honda Accord for every day commute that's > 30 min, that would be a huge difference (downgrade) in life-style vs. downgrading from a Titan X to a 970/R9 290X.

Finally, car manufacturers did not increase prices 50-100% over 1-2 generations. The increases are gradual. However, GTX560Ti $249 became $500/550 680/980 while GTX280/480/580 $499 became $699 780Ti/$999 Titan X. NV effectively doubled the prices of mid-range and high-end cards in a period of 3 years since GTX680 launched. In order to get great value now, one must either wait for AMD to force NV to drop prices OR wait for the 2nd half of a generation when NV finally releases the "true" flagship GM200 6GB card for $599-649.

IMO, the marginal utility of a car is far higher for most people than a videocard. The same goes for a cell phone. I would have little reservation about spending $45-50K on a new C-Class or Audi S4 as an example, or $600-750 on a Samsung S6/iPhone 6S+, but there is no way I am dropping $1-2K on dual Titan Xs. It's not that I can't afford it, just the value for me is not there to get ripped off so badly (imo) just to have the best cards for 3-4 months for bragging rights. I feel the difference between a $200 LG G2 and a $600 S6 is easily worth the extra $400 but there is no way I would feel a $1K Titan X is worth $400-500 over R9 390 noX/GM200 6GB with only 10-15% less performance.

Another evidence that GPU prices are rising is the awful increase in price/performance of cards like GTX960 over R9 280X/GTX760, or the awful price/performance GTX750Ti has over R9 270X. The reality is a GTX980 should be a $299 videocard, maybe with inflation a $349 one, but it's $550! Think of it another way -- this entire forum cried when AMD launched HD7970 for $550 less than 1.5 years from GTX580's launch. HD7970 OC leveled a GTX580 OC by 48-80%, all for only $100 more. WOW! Now it took a mind-blowing 3 years for Titan X to double HD7970Ghz but NV is asking DOUBLE the MSRP of a 7970; and Titan X can't even mine a single bitcoin. That's laughable if you ask me but it's not as if this forum is ripping the Titan X apart like they did with the 7970. 7970 even had great DP performance, Titan X is a joke in that regard. Double standards everywhere FTW!

I guess it comes down to the list of priorities in your life. For me, having flagship $1000 GPUs in a pair isn't even in the top 10; so even though I can afford 4x Titan Xs, that's not going in my system (same with a $1000 5960X). I would rather buy $1,000 downhill skis and $1,000 IEM headphones because they will last 5-10 years. If for some people on this forum gaming is their #1 hobby, $2,000-4,000 on Titan Xs is reasonable and it makes perfect sense.

Damn, the Titan X PCB looks so similar to my old 680. Plain jane and unassuming. So do my 290's, but I guess the same can be said about any reference design. On a side note, love the plain nickel/acetal EK blocks. That hideous CSQ design they have now can die in a fire.

That PCB is fine for a reference design. The problem is NV is selling a $1K SKU but isn't allowing AIBs to make superior versions with much improved VRMs/MOSFETs/8-layer PCB and the superior after-market open air coolers. IMO, it's unacceptable that someone has to buy a Titan X and then proceed to drop $150 for a waterblock + $35 for a backplate to extract its full potential when MSI Lightning/Asus Matrix/EVGA Classified Titan X for $1200 could have accomplished the same + still offer far superior PCB/circuitry components and a BIOS unlock that would allow for 1.3-1.35V unlock. Knowing that NV is leaving the best for the future but is still charging $1K for a non-DP capable chip leaves a sour taste in many gamers mouths. I think NV should just market the Titan as the best of the best of that generation and for that reason Titan X should have Asus Matrix, EVGA Classified and MSI Lightning iterations!!

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
i think this is BS.

Thats usually how it is.

I bought the cards with the money I earned. It is a lot of money, but worth it to me. It has been that way for the past two decades I've been building my own PC. I can have my fun cars and computers and still have plenty left over each month for maxing out retirement accounts and putting money into savings. It's really not all that magical.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
...but isn't allowing AIBs to make superior versions with much improved VRMs/MOSFETs/8-layer PCB and the superior after-market open air coolers.

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

http://www.inno3d.com/products_detail.php?refid=192

IMO, it's unacceptable that someone has to buy a Titan X and then proceed to drop $150 for a waterblock + $35 for a backplate to extract its full potential when MSI Lightning/Asus Matrix/EVGA Classified Titan X for $1200 could have accomplished the same + still offer far superior PCB/circuitry components and a BIOS unlock that would allow for 1.3-1.35V unlock.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=12G-P4-2999-KR

Not sure if it allows voltage control or anything special, and price is TBD.

I personally think aftermarket Titan X's are coming.

Last edited:

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
Cars also have decent resale values 5 years from purchase date and safe cars save lives, while in 5 years a GPU is worth about 20% or less of its MSRP and GPU does very little to impact the quality of your life. In other words, if you downgraded from the S-Class to a Honda Accord for every day commute that's > 30 min, that would be a huge difference (downgrade) in life-style vs. downgrading from a Titan X to a 970/R9 290X.

I guess it depends on person I have (had two cars, my idiot brother smashed my second 10 year-old car yesterday and he might not survive this, and I was telling him all the time that he is an exceptionally poor driver and that he shouldn't drive at all, it's 4th car he completely smashed during one year period, ahh man's pride). What's more he "borrowed" the car without my knowledge because I would never give him the keys because I know how he drives.

Anyway back to the topic I have a new car 2014 year but I keep it in the garage 95% of the time so I just take that old POS because I don't want to bother with the garage and frankly I couldn't care less which car I drive except for overtaking.

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003

Inno is such a good GPU brand and they make some of the best if not the best air cooled cards in Asia but unfortunately it hasn't made its way to North America and most of Europe. I really don't understand why NV doesn't want MSI Lightning or EVGA Classified/KINGPin version of the Titan X. Since Inno3D doesn't sell in North America, the version you linked won't be for sale here to most of us.

Anyway back to the topic I have a new car 2014 year but I keep it in the garage 95% of the time so I just take that old POS because I don't want to bother with the garage and frankly I couldn't care less which car I drive except for overtaking.

Sorry to hear about what happened to you, but you can always buy a new car, while you cannot replace a human life. At least your brother is safe! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I wonder if for Pascal and Volta generation someone starts a petition or writes to NV to request full AIB control over the Titan brand -- i.e., MSI Lightning Titan series. I really don't understand why NV is so conservative, unless they know that the consumer GM200 6GB version will be even faster than the Titan X. :p

I bought the cards with the money I earned. It is a lot of money, but worth it to me. It has been that way for the past two decades I've been building my own PC. I can have my fun cars and computers and still have plenty left over each month for maxing out retirement accounts and putting money into savings. It's really not all that magical.

You getting the new Z06? It's an incredible bang-for-the-buck.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
So who's up for a Titan X Mini? :D

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-announces-new-titan-mini

GeFoce_GTX_TITAN-Mini_OG_2.jpg

Titan Mini isn’t simply smaller – its better in every way. Smaller, yet dramatically faster. More powerful, but remarkably power efficient. With a rugged titanium surface, it’s a one size fits all hardware experience without compromise to performance or color, creating a new generation of GeForce GTX-powered PCs that are smaller than ever before.

2x the performance
2x the power efficiency
5x the color options
.5x the size

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
I'm sure if they actually made a Titan Mini someone would buy it, they would be able to tap into that $1000 GPU HTPC market niche.

5150Joker

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2002
www.techinferno.com
I'm sure if they actually made a Titan Mini someone would buy it, they would be able to tap into that $1000 GPU HTPC market niche.

The funny thing is if they made all those different colors for their various cards, people would snatch them up. I'm surprised they haven't done that yet.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
i think this is BS.

Thats usually how it is.

Good thing with the U.S. dollar as the world reserve currency, 9/10 times someone else earned that money and their government invested those savings in to prop up the dollar in the FOREX market so some chump in America can buy a Titan X. lol.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
I really don't understand why NV is so conservative, unless they know that the consumer GM200 6GB version will be even faster than the Titan X. :p
And what is titan x then , if not a consumer gaming card? Does it even support 10-bit color in Photoshop on appropriate panels? The FP64 performance?

The "Ultimate graphics card", my ass.

Last edited:

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
There did seem to be some perfectly legitimate areas of use for it, which mostly focus on single precision compute instead of double and actually do need/benefit from the 12GB of vram.

Although I'm sure they'll be selling a fair few as gaming cards too, although presumably rather more of the cheaper 6GB version that'll turn up.

therealnickdanger

Oct 26, 2005
And what is titan x then , if not a consumer gaming card? Does it even support 10-bit color in Photoshop on appropriate panels? The FP64 performance?

The "Ultimate graphics card", my ass.

It's the fastest single GPU gaming card at the moment. That's what it is. If I were willing to part with $1,000, I think it would make me very happy.