Titan Results Thread (OC/Performance/Benching)

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
The bridge has a cool look, noticed it right off. It's like Robot's power pack. Don't tell Will Robinson, lol.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
How many on this forum are actually using 3-Way SLI Titans? I know of only one. :)

How does that bridge get the power for the lighting?

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
How many on this forum are actually using 3-Way SLI Titans? I know of only one. :)

How does that bridge get the power for the lighting?

Three way SLI bridge works for two way and three way. I was wondering about the power source as well. I don't think there is going to be power from the SLI prongs, so I would guess a fan header. That is a negative imo, gets in the way of having a clean case, which I would assume people wanting it would care about.

Really want to hear price on it, lol.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is another benefit most people don't really think of when having so much GPU power. Load is spread across all GPUs in SLI. This has the added benefit of decreased usage on each GPU. Good for reduced power usage and heat dissipation which translates into increased stability and longevity. I like that it lowers the clock speeds and voltages when it's not needed.

This is the same Unigine Heaven benchmark looping at 2560x1600 maxed out. The only difference is vsync is enabled. It's still very GPU intensive. A single GPU, or even dual GPU in this same test would most likely be consistently full speed.

Titan-Stress-2.png

njdevilsfan87

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2007
The TDP limit sucks major ass. I've messed around with a Titan this weekend and have the following (I really tried to not buy one but did...)

Core/Memory
+180/+0 = start 1202mhz, 1.2v, throttle to 1176mhz 1.162v
+180/+200 = start 1202mhz 1.2v, throttle to 1150-1163mhz 1.150v
+180/+500 = start 1202mhz 1.2v, throttle to 1124-1137mhz 1.137v

The memory goes all the way to +750 before I start seeing any artifacts, and I've tested +700 to be stable, but what's the point? Now I seriously hope it's just broken, because clock-for-clock, a Titan can be up 60-70% faster than a GTX 680. That is, if you can clock a Titan to 1202/7000, you're beyond a generational jump in power.

This TDP limit is horrible news if the cards are indeed working properly, because I can almost bet that Nvidia will implement it into the 700-series and deliberately give lower tiers lower TDP walls. That would artificially widen the gap between say a GTX 770 and GTX 780 for us enthusiasts because the 770 would be seeing restrictions much like I'm experiencing right now, where as the 780 wouldn't see those restrictions start kicking for another 50-100mhz.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
This TDP limit is horrible news if the cards are indeed working properly, because I can almost bet that Nvidia will implement it into the 700-series and deliberately give lower tiers lower TDP walls. That would artificially widen the gap between say a GTX 770 and GTX 780 for us enthusiasts because the 770 would be seeing restrictions much like I'm experiencing right now, where as the 780 wouldn't see those restrictions start kicking for another 50-100mhz.

It's a protection feature alright. Protection for their bottom line. :p

The other thing that concerns me is both AMD and nVidia seem to be "me too" companies. Rarely does one not implement the same thing as the other. If this turns out to be commercially successful, which judging be many of nVidia's fans on this board it will be, it's not stopping them from buying the card, then why wouldn't AMD follow suite?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
The TDP limit sucks major ass. I've messed around with a Titan this weekend and have the following (I really tried to not buy one but did...)

Core/Memory
+180/+0 = start 1202mhz, 1.2v, throttle to 1176mhz 1.162v
+180/+200 = start 1202mhz 1.2v, throttle to 1150-1163mhz 1.150v
+180/+500 = start 1202mhz 1.2v, throttle to 1124-1137mhz 1.137v

The memory goes all the way to +750 before I start seeing any artifacts, and I've tested +700 to be stable, but what's the point? Now I seriously hope it's just broken, because clock-for-clock, a Titan can be up 60-70% faster than a GTX 680. That is, if you can clock a Titan to 1202/7000, you're beyond a generational jump in power.

What brand Titan did you get? Just curious

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Nvidia should have placed one or two more VDDC phases on the standard lay-out. That way 1250 core and +300mhz for the Memory would be more common @ around ~290-295 watts. I don't see any problem in that. 30 extra watts for Titan would still be below GTX480 and probably GTX580 as well.

edit: They should add control of which voltage state coincides with which boost p-state. So 1202mhz should be able to use whichever increment of voltage you determine works for your card. The whole boost process needs more fine tuning capability.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Titan has the same power phase design as the GTX 480, but with better vrms.

I've seen tons of them hit 900+ on water, even 950.

For reference the 680 is 4+2, and can do 220-230 within it's clock threshold and I've not seen a single post about vrm pops this generation.

In short Titan could take the 285w bios and max it, no question imo. 20w more would be enough to stop throttle and probably get a bit more from your vram.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
The Titan's power delivery isn't designed for more than 265W.

Good luck to those people who want to circumvent it on their $1,000 card.

I'm not so sure it has anything to do with that. Even if it was because the reference boards are engineered that way, why not let the AIB's make better boards to allow higher performance? Is it to protect the likes of EVGA, because they couldn't compete with the big guns, say like Asus, in a no holds barred competition of who can design the best card? Is it because GK110 is fragile? Is it because they don't want reviewers dumping 1.3v into it and cranking the clocks, making power usage skyrocket, like they did to Tahiti? Is it to create more price points?

Anyway, if I spent 3 grand on GPU's I wouldn't want them held back from their true potential.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't see what people are complaining about. You can already get boost speeds well above the advertised speeds. I'm happy with anything above 1GHz.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not so sure it has anything to do with that. Even if it was because the reference boards are engineered that way, why not let the AIB's make better boards to allow higher performance? Is it to protect the likes of EVGA, because they couldn't compete with the big guns, say like Asus, in a no holds barred competition of who can design the best card? Is it because GK110 is fragile? Is it because they don't want reviewers dumping 1.3v into it and cranking the clocks, making power usage skyrocket, like they did to Tahiti? Is it to create more price points?

Anyway, if I spent 3 grand on GPU's I wouldn't want them held back from their true potential.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6774/nvidias-geforce-gtx-titan-part-2-titans-performance-unveiled/2

The bad news is that while GTX 680 shipped with a max power target of 132%, Titan is again only 106%. Once you do hit that TDP limit you only have 6% (15W) more to go, and that’s it. Titan essentially has more headroom out of the box, but it will have less headroom for making adjustments. So hardcore overclockers dreaming of slamming 400W through Titan will come away disappointed, though it goes without saying that Titan’s power delivery system was never designed for that in the first place. All indications are that NVIDIA built Titan’s power delivery system for around 265W, and that’s exactly what buyers will get.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Will be interesting to find out what clocks GK110 or a full GK110 can achieve on a MSI Lightning PCB or a ASUS ROG MATRIX Platinum PCB. 1300 or more?

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I don't see what people are complaining about. You can already get boost speeds well above the advertised speeds. I'm happy with anything above 1GHz.

There are many enthusiasts who would like to have a chance to get the most performance possible. The fact NV has gimped the card and is trying to create artificial limitations doesn't sit well with everyone. It's good if you are happy with your card(s).

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Would you like to address anything else in my post you quoted? That was hardly worth the effort to read, mate.

I guess you'll just have to accept his opinion whether you agree with it or not. I feel the same way Adam does. I'm glad protection is in place on this very expensive hardware. You don't like it? Great. I'm sure you won't be buying one then. As well as Wandererer.

May 13, 2009
I guess you'll just have to accept his opinion whether you agree with it or not. I feel the same way Adam does. I'm glad protection is in place on this very expensive hardware. You don't like it? Great. I'm sure you won't be buying one then. As well as Wandererer.

The warranty is the protection. In the meantime I'll continue to add voltage to my cards just like I always have. Whatever card allows me to do that I will buy.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
The warranty is the protection. In the meantime I'll continue to add voltage to my cards just like I always have. Whatever card allows me to do that I will buy.

The warranty is the protection? You mean protects the card as it comes and with it's current level of boost and limits of overclocking, right?

What you just said makes little sense if you circumvent those protections doesn't it....

May 13, 2009
The warranty is the protection? You mean protects the card as it comes and with it's current level of boost and limits of overclocking, right?

What you just said makes little sense if you circumvent those protections doesn't it....

To those that buy into the whole Nvidia "extra voltage is the devil" bs, yes. To those of us that have added voltage to the ram, CPU, GPU's successfully for the last 10 years without damaging a single thing, no. I'm going to dispute the fact that a sensible overclock with (omg)(gasp) a little overvoltage hurts anything and will continue to buy enthusiast level products that allow me that right.