Titan Results Thread (OC/Performance/Benching)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I was thinking to myself as I read this thread...a Titan by itself as a single card purchased for gaming doesn't make much sense. For around $700 or so a pair of GTX 670s are faster for that purpose at 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 as is the GTX 690 which is similar in price.

For someone willing and able to purchase two of them, then it becomes something interesting IMO. I know for me, I'd have to have two because one alone would be a downgrade since I don't do compute stuff.

Look forward to see how a pair of them works out.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I was thinking to myself as I read this thread...a Titan by itself as a single card purchased for gaming doesn't make much sense. For around $700 or so a pair of GTX 670s are faster for that purpose at 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 as is the GTX 690 which is similar in price.

For someone willing and able to purchase two of them, then it becomes something interesting IMO. I know for me, I'd have to have two because one alone would be a downgrade since I don't do compute stuff.

Look forward to see how a pair of them works out.

That's exactly my line of thinking CMD, and while some may cry "microstutter" the 690 and 680 sli are remarkable in terms of how smooth they play games while SLI'ed. I have never, ever seen a hint of MS on my cards, ever - so I don't see microstutter as a valid reason for the price markup above the GTX 690 price. I would actually dare anyone to say that their 690 isn't smooth, I think that's a gross misrepresentation.

Don't get me wrong, it's an absolutely fantastic card but I really wish it were 900$ or below. I really think 6GB is overkill for most. So If I were to get a single Titan, I would be looking a pretty substantial downgrade from heavily overclocked MSI lightning 680s, and to get a proper upgrade i'd have to get 2 Titan's. Since my system destroys everything I throw at it, that's kind of a stretch.

Although, this card would be pretty good for high surround resolutions such as 1440p x 3. This would definitely be the king of cards for high resolution surround.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail the thread or anything, don't let this throw the results thread off track. Just some general observations, I'm anxious to hear of more overclocking results. I'm really liking GPU boost 2.0 way better than 1.0, I dig it - sounds promising for future kepler iterations. (GK114?)

Last edited:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Just ran RE6 on my 8350 rig with the GTX680
At 1080=10772
At 1440=7255

That Titan sure lives up to it's name!

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Nice results. I agree with the confusion regarding the SLI vs single card thing. Its like, one fast card is better but then two is faster but then you got issues etc. Anyway, two titans are certainly better than one! I'm dying to see SLI impressions from you guys.

Riek

Dec 16, 2008
The problem is that TITAN is limited by the bandwidth. So overclocking the core brings not every time the same speedup.

Probably because titan is already boosting to 1GHz and thus increasing core speeds gives diminishing returns because you are not running at clock speed (or the difference in clock speed) is not what you expect.

If you oc to 1GHz you assume close to 20% frequency increase while in fact you are closer to 10% or lower.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Hey DooKey what did you have before titan? Just the 660ti?

No, I had a pair of GTX 680s in SLI that I sold last week and I put my 660Ti's SLI in to hold a spot until my Titan's came in. I wish I would have run some 680 benches before I sold them off.

Last edited:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
No, I had a pair of GTX 680s in SLI that I sold last week and I put my 660Ti's SLI in to hold a spot until my Titan's came in. I wish I would have run some 680 benches before I sold them off.
You sure have the rig for wide open throughput. An I73930k @ 4.8Ghz is hardly a "slouch":biggrin::) Are you using water cooling on the cpu?

Last edited:

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
You sure have the rig for wide open throughput. An I73930k @ 4.8Ghz is hardly a "slouch":biggrin::) Are you using water cooling on the cpu?

Yep, it's definitely water cooled. I wouldn't push it that hard on air.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

That's what I was gonna ask, if you were doing compare benches. Still I am interested in the results. Would like to compare the performance difference between a single titan card and my setup vs dual titans. See how much two of them improves things.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Thing it would be interesting to see:

SLI scaling with CPU speed (e.g. CPU at 3.6 and 4.8 with SLI in GPU oriented games/settings).

Memory/core scaling (e.g underclock mem or core and stock/overclock the other to see how they both scale).

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com

I personally prefer the noise characteristics of a single card solution. And in the past year or so, well basically since Fermi 1.0 came out, I have been way more aware and personally sensitive to power draw.

I am all for overclocking without voltage manipulation. Call me silly for it, but after seeing the cost of electricity go up by an average of 10% per year in the last five years where I live, I am both way more conscious of the bills I pay AND of doing my part here or there to reduce my carbon footprint.

/done tree hugging

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I personally prefer the noise characteristics of a single card solution. And in the past year or so, well basically since Fermi 1.0 came out, I have been way more aware and personally sensitive to power draw.

I am all for overclocking without voltage manipulation. Call me silly for it, but after seeing the cost of electricity go up by an average of 10% per year in the last five years where I live, I am both way more conscious of the bills I pay AND of doing my part here or there to reduce my carbon footprint.

/done tree hugging

I want maximum performance at any cost power wise. It is just how I roll lol.

I'm in FL and haven't noticed my bill change much. Definitely not enough for me to worry about my PC.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
For those asking for benches I'm in the middle of a comprehensive look at gtx 670 SLI, a single Titan and Titan SLI, also a close look at apparent microstutter between those solutions, this will take lots of time to compile however.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
For those asking for benches I'm in the middle of a comprehensive look at gtx 670 SLI, a single Titan and Titan SLI, also a close look at apparent microstutter between those solutions, this will take lots of time to compile however.

Cool deal. I'll do the down and dirty quick stuff and you handle the detailed stuff.

Last edited:

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I'll be anxious to see your results. BTW, I had 2 EVGA GTX670 FTWs in SLI in my one 2500k rig and my goodness were they fast. I notice you have the 4G vram models. That should really handle Crysis3 well.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Nice, thx for the tests.
You'll have a beast when the other TITAN gets there, congrats

My wife would divorce me if i spent 2k on graphic cards

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Cool deal. I'll do the down and dirty quick stuff and handle the detailed stuff.

Exactly my thoughts, wow them with your synthetic benchmarks and raw fps numbers and I'll look at the other nonsense.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Exactly my thoughts, wow them with your synthetic benchmarks and raw fps numbers and I'll look at the other nonsense.

Yeah, you knew what I meant. Synthetic for me, detailed game play stuff from you. I'm the appetizer and you'll be the main course.

I just started on my SLI tests BTW.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Yeah, you knew what I meant. Synthetic for me, detailed game play stuff from you. I'm the appetizer and you'll be the main course.

I just started on my SLI tests BTW.

Can't wait to see those retardedly high numbers you should get.

Both my Titans are sitting here right next to me, but I refuse to install them until I've got all the information I need from my current setup, as once they're out, they're out for good.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Very nice numbers on Valley Benchmark with SLI!! That's about 3X as many FPS as I get ;)

Valley Benchmark

Single Titan

Core: 1110-1150
RAM: 6450

Extreme HD
FPS: 70.4
Score: 2945

Min: 33.4 FPS
Max: 133 FPS

Titan SLI

Cores: 1110 and 1150 steady
RAM: 6500

Extreme HD
FPS: 121
Score: 5086

Min: 42 FPS
Max: 199 FPS

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Is one not enough for 1600p?, I mean at that res, what is the pitch size, can you really tell 2AA from 4?, in a fast moving environment?, yeah my eyes aren't what they used to be, but, just wondering?