Titan quest crashes my pc

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Having an issue where I just installed Titan quest and played it for about an hour. Came back a day later and as soon as I started it up, it crashes the pc and restarts it. Other games don't do that and play fine, but Titan Quest causes the problem. I installed the most recent patches and still, crashes completely and restarts the computer. I've tried this about 10 times and every time, boom, crash and restart.

Anyone else seen this behavior? It's a I5 2500k that has been stable for years and runs everything else just fine, but this game, as soon as it gets past the opening cinematic and starts the game, restarts my pc. I'm using Windows 10 and an R9 390 video card. I've memtested my machine and it passes with flying colors.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
It's worth asking if this is the newly released anniversary edition or not. What client, etc.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It's worth asking if this is the newly released anniversary edition or not. What client, etc.

I will have to check if its the anniversary edition. It's the windows 10 install I did when I updated my windows 7 machine, but I take regular patches. The game is installed off my cd and has both TQ and the TQ expansion pack.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
I will have to check if its the anniversary edition. It's the windows 10 install I did when I updated my windows 7 machine, but I take regular patches. The game is installed off my cd and has both TQ and the TQ expansion pack.

TQ and the expansion IT were combined into one game in the anniversary edition. As such, I'm betting you're still running the old stuff.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I installed the most recent patches and still, crashes completely and restarts the computer. I've tried this about 10 times and every time, boom, crash and restart.
That is a BSOD, and the computer reboots because of it.
Check event viewer for more details, or turn off the auto-reboot on BSOD.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
If I say the anniversary edition is newly released, and you're still going off old CD's, it's a safe bet it's not the anniversary edition.

Seems everyone else has you covered.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
That is a BSOD, and the computer reboots because of it.
Check event viewer for more details, or turn off the auto-reboot on BSOD.

yeah, its a BSOD. I ran whocrashed on it and it was very generic. Can't remember the specific error right now, but it was related to this, or that, or possibly memory error. I ran memcheck and that wasn't it and I have the latest and greatest drivers for my lan/video, etc. This has been a rock solid system for years, the only thing that crashes is this game, so I'm guessing its a game issue. I reinstalled last night but got stuck playing something else for a bit and didn't retry it.

EDIT.. for 5 bucks, I'm going to buy the anniversary edition as suggested above. Thanks!

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
yeah, its a BSOD. I ran whocrashed on it and it was very generic. Can't remember the specific error right now, but it was related to this, or that, or possibly memory error. I ran memcheck and that wasn't it and I have the latest and greatest drivers for my lan/video, etc. This has been a rock solid system for years, the only thing that crashes is this game, so I'm guessing its a game issue. I reinstalled last night but got stuck playing something else for a bit and didn't retry it.

EDIT.. for 5 bucks, I'm going to buy the anniversary edition as suggested above. Thanks!

Before you do try putting in the CD key on steam first, you get a free copy of the anniversary edition if you own the game already.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
hehe I didn't even bother. I just spent the $5 because this game was/is stellar and the $5 spent is worth the support and recognition.

JeffNY35

Dec 16, 2009
related to this I actually tried firing up the anniversary edition today. The game will start as in the main screen. however nothing else I do takes effect very strange.

I go into Video settings, adjust resolution. Says i need to restart. Restart - nothing changed.
I try to start a single player game. I create a char/profile but does not look like it saved. And start game is greyed out no matter what I do....

Running on Windows 10. My drivers are fairly recent as of a couple months ago...

Reactions: shortylickens

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
hehe I didn't even bother. I just spent the $5 because this game was/is stellar and the $5 spent is worth the support and recognition.

I'm hoping steam caches your player data also so that you can come back in another 5 years and play the same character.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Anyone know if the old mods work with the anniversary edition? If it supports the Underlord revamp it might be worth giving it another play.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Some of the mods are currently broken on the AE. I can't tell you which ones, but it's probably worth noting that a large portion of the modding community moved over to Grim Dawn. You might get lucky and find some information regarding the mod(s) you're asking about.

Try this thread as it seems to be dedicated to the old modding forums that went down recently: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38608

If I were you, I'd make an account on the forums and just ask about the mods rather than comb through 36 pages.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Some of the mods are currently broken on the AE. I can't tell you which ones, but it's probably worth noting that a large portion of the modding community moved over to Grim Dawn. You might get lucky and find some information regarding the mod(s) you're asking about.

Try this thread as it seems to be dedicated to the old modding forums that went down recently: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38608

If I were you, I'd make an account on the forums and just ask about the mods rather than comb through 36 pages.

Thanks. It looks like that mod is broken, but popular enough that it might get adapted somewhere down the road. If I wait a month or two hopefully they'll clean up some of the bugs and get some of the mods updated.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I screwed up and didn't get in on the $5.00 deal and now its back up to $19.99.. ARRGH