Tired of paying Verizon $100/mo/phone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I think it's actually $75/line plus phone insurance, taxes, etc.
Which you said comes out to about $100. Wasn't trying to needle you, that's just a very big amount in 2024.

Back in the late 2000s, I had one of the OG iPhone 3G unlimited plans. That was about $80/month and we were happy to pay it back then for "high speed" mobile data. It wasn't until LTE arrived that speeds actually got fast and prices also got much better with competition.

I do hope you find a solution. Besides switching to prepaid wireless, one of the best decisions I once made was to get rid of cable TV long before people started "cutting the cord." Many American consumers have conditioned themselves to have a large cell phone bill, and a large cable TV/Internet bill as well.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Many American consumers have conditioned themselves to have a large cell phone bill, and a large cable TV/Internet bill as well
So true. I've been free of those since 2015. Savings has made up for my tech expenses multiples over by now.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022

Both of these should add up to ~$30/mo with the admin fee.

The key to the lowest bill is the # of people in the group being the highest out of 12 slots.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

The key to the lowest bill is the # of people in the group being the highest out of 12 slots.
Thanks!

Mar 11, 2004
Turns out I wasn't getting downrated, my one work location is just a Verizon dead zone (my work phone which is on actual normal Verizon plan also has atrocious service there). T-Mobile used to have full 5 bar 5G there so its not even the building that's the issue. Go like 500 ft down the street and you get like 3 bars of 5G even on Visible too.

I don't see how that for $32/mo is a good deal.

Buy a 5G modem for $100 and a USB adapter for it for $30 and grab an unlimited TMO sim from circledin.com and boost your speeds.

I'm paying $38.50/Mo for unlimited + 40GB of hotspot because I use it in the car through the phone. There are cheaper plans without hs data that should come in around $30/Mo and speeds much higher. I get at least 250/70 and the highest is 400/100 but on the phone 600/100.

That's unlimited Hotspot but limited to 10Mb speed cap (I'd absolutely take actual unlimited data over higher speed, 10Mb would be enough for streaming 1080p and web browsing). The normal cell phone isn't capped to 10Mb. And I don't think even the carriers themselves offer actual unlimited Hotspot unless you pay like $200 a month for a single line for the "actually unlimited" plan. Granted, many people might not need more than 50-100GB Hotspot that you get with their plans at somewhat reasonable prices (if you have like 3+ lines at least), and I have a hunch Visible will either tell you take a hike or throttle you if you're using tons of data. Looks like the carriers are starting to institute data caps on the 5G Home services (that used to be "actual unlimited", now they're like 1200GB/month).

But no other MVNO offers even the option for actually unlimited Hotspot unless you pay per GB and you'll be paying ridiculous like $1/GB level for it. Many are atrocious (5GB, or capped at like 2G speeds), with the better ones just making it count towards your normal monthly allotment of "premium data".

Am I missing something? You think up to 30GB of Hotspot (max that I saw out of the ones that were showing for offer) for basically equal or more than Visible is a better deal?

Also, if I'm understanding that correctly, you're joining someone else's family plan? If you care about privacy at all that's an absolutely no-go, and frankly that sounds like a nightmare, even if this other company is doing a lot to handle it (and I believe you'll need to add $5/mo for their fee for being the middleman?). And you're at the whim of people cancelling (or having to give notice if you want to cancel).

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Am I missing something?
Yes.

I pay under $40/mo all in and get unlimited 5G + opted for 40GB of HS data for use in the car for tethering.

The modem uses normal 5G data and not the HS allotment. Some modems though work in a different mode though that get tagged as HS data which obviously would be an issue if using for a traditional ISP replacement.

SIMCOM is my primary modem and uses regular data

I picked up a Fibocom modem as well for under $50 as a backup and that one doesn't allow me to tweak the configuration to make it work as just a data connection and does get rated as a HS. It's also significantly slower.

There's only a handful of modem makers though to pick from when it comes to picking a vendor.

you're joining someone else's family plan?
Basically. It's a group discount on the lines. Since i route my voice/SMS through Google the line only sees / shows as data use. Privacy isn't an issue at that point since it's not being billed through TMO or tracked by the billing system.

Instead of paying $90/mo for a phone line it's under $40 and I get internet instead of paying someone else for that on top of it or being stuck with a home internet plan that can't be used on my phone outside of the house. I had the TMHI plan until they stated playing billing games and such. I tested out the modem I got with the TMHI SIM though and it worked better than the box they provided and was able to lock down the bands to prevent it from connecting to the slower ones that provided 1/2 the speed.

And you're at the whim of people cancelling (or having to give notice if you want to cancel).
I suspect the main account holder basically ends up getting free service with all of the additional lines anyway with the additional perks they get or the additional lines. I haven't really looked into the other side of it.

1728394757177.png

I've used most of the MVNO options as well over the past few years trying to save a buck wherever possible. It all kind of depends on how you want to use the SIM though. If you need an actual voice line for your phone then you'll likely need 2 lines if you also want internet to be available when leaving the house. If it's just you then you can do a single SIM like me and just move it to your phone as needed.

Since VZW seems to be a coverage issue in your case then it's going to lead you to either TMO/ATT and ATT isn't all that impressive when it coms to speeds. However, since CI isn't showing TMO plans it's an option for the ISP side

Anyway, the motive for me over the past few years was to quit giving away money to multiple providers and reassess whether I really needed that gigabit plan for DL's, Sure it takes a few minutes longer to get a finished DL but, no data cap and higher UL speed make up for it. The data cap thing was the big factor though for me when I'm paying ~$90/mo it shouldn't be a thing. Phone./voice / data became the next target and having worked for a couple of providers I already knew about the MVNO game and heavy discounts for stripped back plans. Figuring out how to combine them into a single plan became the goal more recently.

I took what was costing over $100/mo for 2 services and chopped it to ~$38/mo.

1728396016991.png

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Are you one of the “owners,” or just a member?

Dec 10, 2005
I think it's actually $75/line plus phone insurance, taxes, etc.
Drop the phone insurance? Usually it's kind of a waste of money. If you want it, you might consider just using a credit card that offers it as a free benefit to pay your bill.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
just a member
I don't like phone line pricing and never / haven't paid full price for service. It's a racket with them all wanting ~$90/mo/line at this point. Even back in the day when things were more tempered at $50/mo it was still too much.

Even my car ha a 3G modem in it and the dealer / carrier pricing was a $15/mo add on after the initial free period. I picked up a PTEL SIM and went per KB at IIRC $0.02/kb instead and spent a whole lot less. I might have had to reload $10 every 3-6 months since the data was only being used for live maps/traffic it didn't amount to much as things got cached for the maps.

The car company though eventually killed the 3G option and disabled live maps which prompted switching the display to an Android unit and tethering to the phone instead. There's a modem built into the display though as well as a sim slot but, it's a pain to deal with and not worth dedicating $xx/mo to leave a sim in it. If I went that route though then I'd probably just use US Mobile for $2/mo + data.

Nov 17, 2019
'Bout $15/mo on TracFone.

Verizon bought the whole schlemeil unfortunately and will be pushing everybody onto their system. Great if you live where their signal is good.

Not so great if you live where their signal is weak.

They just changed all of the plans at all price points to include tethering and I was able to use it for the first time a couple of days ago to try it out.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I saw these visible plans on slickdeals. No idea if these are normal prices or not.

Visible Prepaid Wireless Plan by Verizon - Unlimited Monthly Plans - $20 or $35

For a limited time, you can join the Visible plan & lock in 24 mos of service for only $20/mo. Use code SAVE24.

Visible+ is also on sale for $35 a month (plan I would choose)