Tips, Suggestions, Info for Barton 2800+

Yazilliclick

Jun 5, 2003
Just bought some stuff and wondering if anybody could give me any ideas on about what could be acomplished oc'ing wise with this setup and any tips to get there.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton (Detail..)
2 x 512MB DDR400 PC3200 OCZ Ram (Copper heat spreaders) (Detail..)
Vantec Aeroflow Socket A hs (Detail..)
Antex 1040SX Performance II Case with 400W PS (currently only have stock fans in it, likely will be sticking another 80mm in front) (Detail..)
Soltek 75FRN2-L NForce2 motherboard (Detail..)

Thanks for your time.

Abhoth

Nov 13, 2002
O.K., here's what I just put together from some parts and such received yesterday...
A7N8X, 2800+ Barton, 2 x 512mb Corsair PC3500C2, Thermalright SLK800U, fanning it with a Vantec TMD I pulled off the Aeroflow I had been using, Radeon 9700 Pro... blah blah blah.
New parts = The motherboard, processor and heatsink. Had been running and A7V8X, 2400+ rev B and the Aeroflow.
Enough history...
As mentioned, put it together yesterday, last night was twitchin' with it and changed the memory % setting in the bios to a bad thing. No boot, no bios, black screen staring at me... hit off and slept. Had it when that happens!
Reset the bios this morning with the power/battery out/jumper thing and all's good. Here be some #'s
Mult = 11
Clock = 200
So running at 2205mhz & 400 sysbus
MBM reports 40c at the moment, confirmed with several other utilities... under load during the heat of the day here was running 45c under load, SETI for one.
3dMark 2001se, which previously ran around 14500, now runs at 16600

Now, that's the quick and dirty 'stable' setup I've managed, your equipment is a bit different so it's ability may allow more or less... depends.

Don't know much about the Soltek or the OCZ so search this, and other, forums and the manufacturer sites for proper timings and capabilities. I really like the Aeroflow HSF, not sure how far it will take you on the OC'ing so keep an eye on temps.... this SLK800U is really keeping things cool for air power.

Enough yappin' for now... hope that help a bit...

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
As pointed out in another post... your overclocking results may vary. Only way to know for sure is to do it yourself. However... you shouldn't have bought an XP2800 with the intent to overclock... the XP2500's are a lot cheaper and do the same thing. Also... if you want an idea of what you'll be able to get out of it, we need you to give us all the stepping info that's on that black sticker on the CPU.

Abhoth

Nov 13, 2002
Yeah, but are all the 2500+'s good oc'ers? ;-) I did the 2800+ as I got a decent price on it and could afford the bit extra. AQUCA stepping on mine, remember reading the all the 2800+'s had that stepping but don't know for certain at all... it's a week 11.