Tips and being a cheap ass

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: amoeba
Originally posted by: fredtam
IF you're a waiter/ess, you'll are requireed by law to be paid at least minimum wage if your tips do not equal what you would have made earning minimum wage.

Oooh ... minimum wage. Please multiply the current min. wage by 40 and subtract your rent asshat.

Actually your math is off. I assume by multiplying by 40, you mean 40 hours worked per WEEK. since rent is calculated per MONTH. This equation does not work. A more accurate sentence would be "multiply minimum wage by 175 and subtract your rent asshat ".
Lets work through this.

$5.15/hr x 40hr/wk x 4wk = $824

Assuming 20% total tax that leaves $659.20 to spend on rent, food, insurance, and other expenses.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Fausto
20% of whatever the total was. Being a delivery driver is a crappy job (and is a second job for a lot of these guys) and a few extra bucks is no skin off my nose.

I concur. 20% and round up to the nearest dollar.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
by no means was I implying that minimum wage was a lot. I was just saying that his choice of 40 is mathematically off.

also, 20% tax seems a bit high for that income bracket.

The fact of the matter is, jobs which involve tipping in most cases pay more than minimum wage jobs at fast food places. This is why people work as waitress/pizza delivery. The only minimum wage jobs are fast food /grocery baggers, which are predominately high school/college students getting some work experience/pocket money.
Generally minimum wage is not meant for you to be self sufficent on.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
by no means was I implying that minimum wage was a lot. I was just saying that his choice of 40 is mathematically off.

The fact of the matter is, jobs which involve tipping in most cases pay more than minimum wage jobs at fast food places. This is why people work as waitress/pizza delivery. The only minimum wage jobs are fast food /grocery baggers, which are predominately high school/college students getting some work experience/pocket money.

Um, nope. Every delivery driver at my store makes minimum wage. Only the driver who are full time, and can do much more than just drive, make more. Hell, I can practically take over as manager if I wanted - I've worked there for two years and only make $6.03 an hour! Everyone else (store insiders) start off at minimum wage and get a quarter raise every three months, after their performance is reviewed by a few managers.

Hell, my sister has worked 4 waitressing jobs and she only made around 2.75 an hour with them. Maybe it depends on where you live - in CA you're definitely going to make more, but the cost of living is ridiculous there. Here in FL, almost all service industry jobs start at minimum wage ($5.25).

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
If you don't tip the pizza guy when he gets your correct order to you, hot, on time, you are an ass. End of story.

Also..Repost x1000000

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Originally posted by: Trevelyan
Originally posted by: Kanalua
Nobody tips me for doing a good/mediocre/horrible job at work. Why do delivery guys, bus boys, waitresses, etc. deserve more?

No tip for you!!!

Too bad - I guess no good service for you. If I'm delivering to a known cheapskate/no tipper, I tend to have to stop at the gas station and fill up my gas tank (well, it's got to be done some time), maybe take a couple of detours, or some other orders before yours because it's obvious other customers will be paying me for my better service.

You sir, are an ass. Just because you don't anticipate a tip, which is NOT required, doesn't mean you can slack off on your REQUIRED duties.

I do what's required, I'l get there within the quoted delivery time (in my area, it's always 45 minutes to an hour). I'm required to get there within an hour, and that's when I'll be getting there if I'm delivering to know "gipper".

This is the exact reason why I tip about $1 for every $3 I spend at a pizza place. If the bill comes to $11, I pay $15 and sometimes more depending on the situation. The local pizza place we order from knows this and I know a couple of the drivers. They get me my food right away. rbloedow has the right idea. In my opinion, there are people out there that don't tip and that is a travesty.

Case in point...

I was over at a friends house and we ordered pizza. When it came, the bill was $14.87. My friend hands the guy $15 and asks for change. Now, I laughed because I thought he was just kidding. The driver did too...but my friend was serious. He got his change back and just told the driver, "Have a nice day" and shut the door. About two months later, he bitches because all the pizza places that deliver in his area won't deliver a hot pizza to his door like he wants because he doesn't tip. He has to use pickup.

Anyway, moral of the story is....tip or don't expect good service.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003

Um, nope. Every delivery driver at my store makes minimum wage. Only the driver who are full time, and can do much more than just drive, make more. Hell, I can practically take over as manager if I wanted - I've worked there for two years and only make $6.03 an hour! Everyone else (store insiders) start off at minimum wage and get a quarter raise every three months, after their performance is reviewed by a few managers.

Hell, my sister has worked 4 waitressing jobs and she only made around 2.75 an hour with them. Maybe it depends on where you live - in CA you're definitely going to make more, but the cost of living is ridiculous there. Here in FL, almost all service industry jobs start at minimum wage ($5.25).

What I mean is, tips plus your regular wage usually surpasses minimum wage as does your sister. There are stipulations that if your tips plus 2.75 is lower than minimum wage, then it is adjusted to minimum wage. How much money you bring home per month surely surpasses the 16 year old working Mcdonalds.

My second point is that, as you stated yourself, you are barely able to scrape by on your higher than minimum wage pay ( as defined previously). Thus, it would be almost impossible for the guy working the Mcdonalds counter to be self sufficient.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Pizza guys, do you write down who doesn't tip? I probably would, and then when they order, I would make no effort to get them their pizza early. If they were quoted 45 minutes, I'd get it to them at 44:59. If they were rude about it, i'd probably be even later, or i'd violate their pizza.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
Pizza guys, do you write down who doesn't tip? I probably would, and then when they order, I would make no effort to get them their pizza early. If they were quoted 45 minutes, I'd get it to them at 44:59. If they were rude about it, i'd probably be even later, or i'd violate their pizza.

NO, I won't ever mess with a customer pizza(s). Making them wait is justice enough for me :p I usually can remember people who don't tip, or people who give you liek a quarter and a dime, so no need to write their addresses down (been working there for over 2 years, I know this town like the back of my hand).

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Nightfall
Originally posted by: Trevelyan
Originally posted by: Kanalua
Nobody tips me for doing a good/mediocre/horrible job at work. Why do delivery guys, bus boys, waitresses, etc. deserve more?

No tip for you!!!

Too bad - I guess no good service for you. If I'm delivering to a known cheapskate/no tipper, I tend to have to stop at the gas station and fill up my gas tank (well, it's got to be done some time), maybe take a couple of detours, or some other orders before yours because it's obvious other customers will be paying me for my better service.

You sir, are an ass. Just because you don't anticipate a tip, which is NOT required, doesn't mean you can slack off on your REQUIRED duties.

I do what's required, I'l get there within the quoted delivery time (in my area, it's always 45 minutes to an hour). I'm required to get there within an hour, and that's when I'll be getting there if I'm delivering to know "gipper".

This is the exact reason why I tip about $1 for every $3 I spend at a pizza place. If the bill comes to $11, I pay $15 and sometimes more depending on the situation. The local pizza place we order from knows this and I know a couple of the drivers. They get me my food right away. rbloedow has the right idea. In my opinion, there are people out there that don't tip and that is a travesty.

Case in point...

I was over at a friends house and we ordered pizza. When it came, the bill was $14.87. My friend hands the guy $15 and asks for change. Now, I laughed because I thought he was just kidding. The driver did too...but my friend was serious. He got his change back and just told the driver, "Have a nice day" and shut the door. About two months later, he bitches because all the pizza places that deliver in his area won't deliver a hot pizza to his door like he wants because he doesn't tip. He has to use pickup.

Anyway, moral of the story is....tip or don't expect good service.
Wow. Your friend is a complete c0ck.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003

NO, I won't ever mess with a customer pizza(s). Making them wait is justice enough for me :p I usually can remember people who don't tip, or people who give you liek a quarter and a dime, so no need to write their addresses down (been working there for over 2 years, I know this town like the back of my hand).

Heh. I probably wouldn't mess with anyones pizza either. Too easy to notice, and could get you in some real trouble. I think people who tip stupid things like a dime or some pennies are worse than non-tippers.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
IF you're a waiter/ess, you'll are requireed by law to be paid at least minimum wage if your tips do not equal what you would have made earning minimum wage.

Oooh ... minimum wage. Please multiply the current min. wage by 40 and subtract your rent asshat.

Actually your math is off. I assume by multiplying by 40, you mean 40 hours worked per WEEK. since rent is calculated per MONTH. This equation does not work. A more accurate sentence would be "multiply minimum wage by 175 and subtract your rent asshat ".

Thanks for the correction Math Master. Everyone new what I meant.
secondly you said 20% seems high for that tax bracket.. Maybe he should have said after Federal,State, Medicare, and Social Security where you wouldn't overanalyze.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003

Thanks for the correction Math Master. Everyone new what I meant.
secondly you said 20% seems high for that tax bracket.. Maybe he should have said after Federal,State, Medicare, and Social Security where you wouldn't overanalyze.

Hey, I have to make it an accurate assessment. If you would read the rest of my message, I never said that tipped employees are overpaid. Having said that, I still believe that there is a wide disparity between a person working in a restaurant with tips vs one working mcdonalds. Is the person working mcdonalds really entitled to that much less?

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I usually try to tip 12% to the closest dollar plus change...i.e, if the order is $8.49, I'd tip $1.51. If it's $12.69, I'd probably tip $2.31

Nov 5, 2001

Heh. I probably wouldn't mess with anyones pizza either. Too easy to notice, and could get you in some real trouble. I think people who tip stupid things like a dime or some pennies are worse than non-tippers.

I tip a penny or dime, etc. when the service was awful. That lets them know that you didn't forget, but made it a point to do so. If service is okay, I usually tip about 15%, great service gets you 20% or more. Once gave a guy at Carlos O'Kelley's $10 on an $18 check. He was awesome! For pizza delivery, I usually tip $1.50 or so, sometimes more.

Last month when it was pretty cold, the Chinese delivery guy got $5. (Chinese as in food, not ethinicity, although he WAS Chinese.)