Tips and being a cheap ass

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: fredtam
Originally posted by: Kanalua
Nobody tips me for doing a good/mediocre/horrible job at work. Why do delivery guys, bus boys, waitresses, etc. deserve more?

No tip for you!!!

You have obviously not worked in food service. At the last resuraunt I worked at waitresses made $2.35/h plus tips. If it were not for tips they would be broke. Luckily not everybody thinks like you and those girls averaged $125- $200 a night. I have worked as a bartender and dj/ bouncer for tips only. The only reason your pizza doesn't cost $5 more now is because of people tipping. Most delivery drivers make a very small wage, don't get reimbursed for gas, and depend on people like you not being assholes but since there are so many like you I now have to pay a delivery charge for my pizza.
One wonders why anyone would put themselves in that position in the first place ? Get a job with structured and stable pay and you won't have to have others feel sorry for you each time they get/finish their meal. At the end of the day, tipping isn't a requirement.

I mean this post in the nicest way possible (because without you, there would be no service).

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
Nobody tips me for doing a good/mediocre/horrible job at work. Why do delivery guys, bus boys, waitresses, etc. deserve more?

No tip for you!!!

You have obviously not worked in food service. At the last resuraunt I worked at waitresses made $2.35/h plus tips. If it were not for tips they would be broke. Luckily not everybody thinks like you and those girls averaged $125- $200 a night. I have worked as a bartender and dj/ bouncer for tips only. The only reason your pizza doesn't cost $5 more now is because of people tipping. Most delivery drivers make a very small wage, don't get reimbursed for gas, and depend on people like you not being assholes but since there are so many like you I now have to pay a delivery charge for my pizza.
One wonders why anyone would put themselves in that position in the first place ? Get a job with structured and stable pay and you won't have to have others feel sorry for you each time they get/finish their meal. At the end of the day, tipping isn't a requirement.

I mean this post in the nicest way possible (because without you, there would be no service).

Honestly, it would be nearly impossible for me to make 500+ a week in any other job, working between 35-40 hours, go to college full time, and still maintain good grades. I've worked for two years delivering pizzas - I will do whatever it takes to maximize my profit, and if I've got a group of 5 orders and I know that one of them is a consitent non-tipper, I'll do whatever is possible to get the other orders to their destination ASAP, without delivering the non tippers pizzas past the quoted delivery times. It's about maximizing my profit. Sorry.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

No tip for you!!!

Your logic is flawed. First you assume waitress/waiter is a low end job. I know people who wouldn't do anything else because the money is so good. I know many people (bartenders,waiters) who average well over $200 a night. It can definately be a career. Also it can be a stepping stone in the F&B business. Most F&B managers I know make over $100K/y (average in the US being 35-40 but that includes fast food etc. . Secondly you are in fact paying for the service. In some places the tip is automatically added to your bill, iin many it is added if there are than four people in your party, and everywhere else it usually says on your bill "gratuity not included" meaning that the cost of your service is not included and you should tip the person who provided it. You get to judge what that service was worth. Yes I have been to places where it wasn't worth anything. They don't take the jobs in hopes that you will feel sorry for them and give them money they take them because tips have become customary in the US and in most cases can be depended on as reliable income.

Waitress $2.15/h

iliopsoas

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2001
Usually, I tip $4-5 for a pizza. Same tip if it's for 2 pizzas so I usually order 2.

These people don't get paid very much by their employer and relies on tips for living.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I wanna know what the customary tip for a whore would be?

KK

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
Whoa I tip the pizza guy but the amounts rbloedow is suggesting is absurd. That's creeping up near 15% (I usually tip twice the tax which is around 18% around here) which is the standard tip for a waiter or waitress who comes back and forth MANY times making sure order's correct, how I can be helped blah blah. There isn't any way in HELL I'm tipping a driver who drives 2 miles that rate.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: rbloedow

No tip for you!!!

Honestly, it would be nearly impossible for me to make 500+ a week in any other job, working between 35-40 hours, go to college full time, and still maintain good grades. I've worked for two years delivering pizzas - I will do whatever it takes to maximize my profit, and if I've got a group of 5 orders and I know that one of them is a consitent non-tipper, I'll do whatever is possible to get the other orders to their destination ASAP, without delivering the non tippers pizzas past the quoted delivery times. It's about maximizing my profit. Sorry.

And that's exactly why I don't tip. :|

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt

No tip for you!!!

But then you get cold pizza... :confused::p

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: CheapArse

No tip for you!!!

But then you get cold pizza... :confused::p

Yeah. Right. I order a nice, hot pizza. And, because the delivery guy thinks I owe him something, I get it cold? Screw that. I ordered something hot. It comes cold and the manager of the store is getting a phone call. :) I expect to be given something that I pay for. I don't expect to have money EXTORTED from me and have it called "tip."

Dec 4, 2002
I usually just double the tax...since im in CA, everything works out.

Dude, I should do that, too. I live in Oregon so doubling the tax will be no problem!

hmm, and I'm the self labeled cheapass.... ;)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I usually just double the tax...since im in CA, everything works out.

Dude, I should do that, too. I live in Oregon so doubling the tax will be no problem!

hmm, and I'm the self labeled cheapass.... ;)

I refuse to tip people who expect to be tipped. Call me cheap, but it's out of principle. I don't have any problem tipping someone who is doing the job that they are employed to do, which is not bust their ass for a tip.

jjyiz28

Platinum Member
Jan 11, 2003
hard work should not necessarily mean greater pay. i bet being being a dishwasher or bus boy is hard, washing dishing in hot water. or being a janitor cleaning restrooms. but thats not the point

a jobs worth should only depend on how many other people can do your job. how many people can do menial labor jobs?? almost everyone over legal working age. how many people can do heart surgery? only people that went through med school. how many people can play sports professionally?? not much.

neilm

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2002
Well I usually get my friend to pay the delivery guy, I just give him my share of what it costs :)

Hm, if I were to pay though, I'm not sure if delivery guys should get any extra after what rbloedow is saying. It's like, give me a tip for YOUR pizza or else. The fact is, if I get a cold pizza that tastes like sh1t, I will simply complain and never order there again.

As here someone said before, I'll give a tip for anyone who deserves it, while not expecting anything. That I gotta agree with.

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
My wife was a waitress in a small family restaurant for 8 years. SMALL mom and pop joint. She brought home about 90-110 cash a night, from a 8 hour shift.
Imagine if she was working in a place where meals cost more than $8.00.... But she also worked her ass off.

:) People who say waitressing is easy are just plain ignorant, and not worthy of a response....

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
20% of whatever the total was. Being a delivery driver is a crappy job (and is a second job for a lot of these guys) and a few extra bucks is no skin off my nose.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Damn, some of you people are so f-ing anal about tipping.

If someone brings hot food to my house, hell yeah they are getting a tip. And a good one. I tip 20-25% on checks usually. More if I feel like it.

amoeba

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2003
IF you're a waiter/ess, you'll are requireed by law to be paid at least minimum wage if your tips do not equal what you would have made earning minimum wage.

Oooh ... minimum wage. Please multiply the current min. wage by 40 and subtract your rent asshat.

Actually your math is off. I assume by multiplying by 40, you mean 40 hours worked per WEEK. since rent is calculated per MONTH. This equation does not work. A more accurate sentence would be "multiply minimum wage by 175 and subtract your rent asshat ".