Tips and being a cheap ass

Einz

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
How much do you guys usually tip delivery drivers? I'm curious.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: poopaskoopa
$2 for 1 large pizza. $3 for 2 larges. Haven't ordered anything else.

$2 for a single pizza. $3 for a larger order.

most i ever tipped for a delivery is $10. we had like 5 pizzas and 3 chicken wing orders heh.

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: poopaskoopa
$2 for 1 large pizza. $3 for 2 larges. Haven't ordered anything else.

$2 for a single pizza. $3 for a larger order.

most i ever tipped for a delivery is $10. we had like 5 pizzas and 3 chicken wing orders heh.

$2 for a basic order. If you think about it, they don't cook the pizzas, and the pizza place is paying them per mile they put on their cars anyways. So anything more than that would be overkill IMO.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
$1 for pizza delivery. They haven't slipped in the secret sauce yet so I guess they're not upset just yet.

Murphyrulez

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Ranger X
$1 for pizza delivery. They haven't slipped in the secret sauce yet so I guess they're not upset just yet.

The secret sauce is called secret because it is a secret.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I'm a delivery driver. At least tip 2 bucks on an order, 3 if you feel like it. (which is pretty much the norm when I'm delivering). If the order is 30+ dollars, consider 4 or 5 bucks. 50+ dollars should be between 6 and 10 dollars. 100+ dollars should be between 11 and 15 bucks.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Nobody tips me for doing a good/mediocre/horrible job at work. Why do delivery guys, bus boys, waitresses, etc. deserve more?

No tip for you!!!

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Kanalua
Nobody tips me for doing a good/mediocre/horrible job at work. Why do delivery guys, bus boys, waitresses, etc. deserve more?

No tip for you!!!

Too bad - I guess no good service for you. If I'm delivering to a known cheapskate/no tipper, I tend to have to stop at the gas station and fill up my gas tank (well, it's got to be done some time), maybe take a couple of detours, or some other orders before yours because it's obvious other customers will be paying me for my better service.

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: rbloedow

No tip for you!!!

Too bad - I guess no good service for you. If I'm delivering to a known cheapskate/no tipper, I tend to have to stop at the gas station and fill up my gas tank (well, it's got to be done some time), maybe take a couple of detours, or some other orders before yours because it's obvious other customers will be paying me for my better service.

You sir, are an ass. Just because you don't anticipate a tip, which is NOT required, doesn't mean you can slack off on your REQUIRED duties.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

No tip for you!!!

You have obviously not worked in food service. At the last resuraunt I worked at waitresses made $2.35/h plus tips. If it were not for tips they would be broke. Luckily not everybody thinks like you and those girls averaged $125- $200 a night. I have worked as a bartender and dj/ bouncer for tips only. The only reason your pizza doesn't cost $5 more now is because of people tipping. Most delivery drivers make a very small wage, don't get reimbursed for gas, and depend on people like you not being assholes but since there are so many like you I now have to pay a delivery charge for my pizza.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Trevelyan

No tip for you!!!

You sir, are an ass. Just because you don't anticipate a tip, which is NOT required, doesn't mean you can slack off on your REQUIRED duties.

I do what's required, I'l get there within the quoted delivery time (in my area, it's always 45 minutes to an hour). I'm required to get there within an hour, and that's when I'll be getting there if I'm delivering to know "gipper".

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
TIPS = To Insure Prompt/Proper Service

When the delivery guy leaves the shop with 6 orders and one of the customers is a known good tipper, guess who gets the hot food?

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
usually we round to the nearest 5. if its too close to the nearest five we add a tooney or a looney

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I actually delivered pizzas for a while back in the early '90s. I tip them 10% of the order minus the delivery fee (if any).

edit: tipping is optional. If the driver screws my order and makes no attempt to make amends, shows up an hour late with a cold pizza, or is otherwise an unapologetic ass, then he gets nothing. And I don't care what they get paid, I've worked straight commission real estate finance for 10 years, and we have a saying: if you aren't making enough money, then maybe this isn't the right job for you.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: fredtam

No tip for you!!!

You have obviously not worked in food service. At the last resuraunt I worked at waitresses made $2.35/h plus tips. If it were not for tips they would be broke. Luckily not everybody thinks like you and those girls averaged $125- $200 a night. I have worked as a bartender and dj/ bouncer for tips only. The only reason your pizza doesn't cost $5 more now is because of people tipping. Most delivery drivers make a very small wage, don't get reimbursed for gas, and depend on people like you not being assholes but since there are so many like you I now have to pay a delivery charge for my pizza.

The sad thing is, my chain just started a delivery charge (a buck per delivery), yet I haven't seen any pay increase or extra cash flow :frown: The company is saying that the increase is being caused because their insurance went went up, and because every other chain in town charges for delivery, what's the harm in doing it too?
rolleye.gif

It's liek this with most companies - the delivery charge goes right into the owners pocket, not the drivers, yet most people think that the driver gets it :(

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000

No tip for you!!!

Thats one of the reasons I think tipping is stupid, you get paid to do a job. you are not a waitress or waiter, you deliver the food and get paid to do it. I don't get tipped at work becuase I saved them millions of revenue due to an outage. I do tip and I tip well, I just think its stupid.

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: fredtam

No tip for you!!!

i doubt wages would be that low if tips weren't so lucrative. i'd rather pay more for the food and have the employees be paid a proper amount.

ps. i tip.