Tip for takeout?

Delita

Jan 12, 2006
So me and a buddy got in an arguement about tipping for takeout. He does and I don't. Tipping is for service, not for them making the food. I asked if he tipped at McDonalds. He said it wasn't a comparable situation (It started from AppleBees takeout). He brought up the arguement that you tip for beer in a bar. I said that it common practice to tip at a bar, otherwise I probably wouldn't. It was never settled on who won. I'll let you decide.

EDIT: One last thing. I asked him who got the tip when you tipped for takeout. He said either the bar or hostess. But probably the bar. Why would you tip if you have no idea who the hell it goes to.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
When you tip for service in a restaurant do the food service workers get a cut of it? Are tips split or does the person who served you get it all?

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
Places that are sit down kind of joints I tip them to make sure my order is straight. I don't tip like I would if I were inside but a few bucks depending on how much the order was.

EDIT: My note was meant for the ones that bring the food to you like Applebee's. If I have to go inside to get it hell no Im not tipping.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
So you are going into a take out place, buying food and tipping? LOL, no effing way.

Tipping scenarios:

- You bring me my food to my door
- I sit in your establishment and you cook, serve food and clean up after me.

Delita

Jan 12, 2006
Person who served usually get the tip. Their base salaries are lower, whereas the cooks get paid a larger base salary.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
So you are going into a take out place, buying food and tipping? LOL, no effing way.

Tipping scenarios:

Yep, I think that about sums it up.

Edit: There are exceptions obviously, but for restaurants, this is what I go by.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: Delita
Person who served usually get the tip. Their base salaries are lower, whereas the cooks get paid a larger base salary.

bus staff gets a cut, as do kitchen in some restaurants. tipping is not only for service, its for the quality of the meal. of course, i dont subscribe to this nonsense, and i was a waiter for a lot of years. pay people a good wage without making them rely on a bunch of self important people out for a meal.

i dont tip take out either.

you tip for a beer at the bar to make sure the bartender notices and serves you quicker the next time youre getting a drink... another thing i hate about the whole tipping fiasco

Delita

Jan 12, 2006

Tipping scenarios:

Do you tip for beer at a bar?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I swear I've answered this question here before.

Anyway, I will tip on takeout if:

1. I had a very large and complicated order.

2. I am a regular (or plan to be a regular) at the place.

Otherwise no.

KT

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001

Tipping scenarios:

Do you tip for beer at a bar?

In the UK, no. In the US, yes.

Delita

Jan 12, 2006
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

Otherwise no.

KT

Order was for 4 meals and an appetizer. Total was roughly 60 bucks

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
bus staff gets a cut, as do kitchen in some restaurants. tipping is not only for service, its for the quality of the meal. of course, i dont subscribe to this nonsense, and i was a waiter for a lot of years. pay people a good wage without making them rely on a bunch of self important people out for a meal.

Agree. Tipping for the quality of the meal is over the line. The food should be best quality from the start... because if it's not, I'm getting it removed from the bill.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
I have friends that work takeout. The actually get a large portion of their pay from tips. I think it's rediculous. I don't tip takeout even if my friends are working. I did all the d$%n work to get the food. They took my phone call, wrote the correct thing down and then handed it to me. That's just as bad as tipping at McDonalds.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Otherwise no.

KT

I'd probably leave a small tip, maybe $5.00.

KT

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade
When you tip for service in a restaurant do the food service workers get a cut of it? Are tips split or does the person who served you get it all?

when I waited tables we had to tip out the busser/foodrunner/bartender/hostess. It was usually a set percentage. about 30-40% of my tips were shared with the above.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004

Otherwise no.

KT

KT

Are you joking? "4 happy meals and a side of fries...btw here's an extra $5.00 for being able to work a cash register"

Even if he ordered for 40 people it's their freaking job. All they did was write down what he said over the phone. Hell, if he showed up with it all written down he could walk his order to the kitcken and pick it up himself.

The trend of tipping servers has got to stop; even waiters. If anyone needs a tip it's the chefs in the back that make the food. They are the ones that actually take some skill to do their job.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Lazy8s
I have friends that work takeout. The actually get a large portion of their pay from tips. I think it's rediculous. I don't tip takeout even if my friends are working. I did all the d$%n work to get the food. They took my phone call, wrote the correct thing down and then handed it to me. That's just as bad as tipping at McDonalds.

Agree. The entire reason I'd get takeout is because I don't want to spend money on a tip.

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
The trend of tipping servers has got to stop; even waiters. If anyone needs a tip it's the chefs in the back that make the food. They are the ones that actually take some skill to do their job.

Well chefs tend to make more than $2.13/hour and usually get benefits like vacation time and health insurance

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002
I could only see myself tipping for a curbside service, and even then no more than 2 bucks, regardless of order. The 5 minutes it took to put in a Styrofoam container and place in a bag and carrying it 20 feet warrants no additional amount than 2 dollars. 2 dollars per 5 mins = $24/hr!

Tipping when I drive there and walk in to get it, hell no. I paid you for the food, nothing more.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: miri

Well chefs do make more than $2.13/hour and usually get benefits like vacation time and health insurance

So should we tip people at walmart because they took a low-paying job? If some idiot is willing to make $2.13 an hour let them. Do you people realize that if tips don't bring them to min wage the restaurant is required by law to pay them min wage? If they make $2.13 an hour and they got 0 tips they would get a check for minimum wage. Lowering their hourly wages is a way to guilt people into thinking they need to be tipped to earn enough.

Originally posted by: Lamont Burns
I could only see myself tipping for a curbside service, and even then no more than 2 bucks, regardless of order. The 5 minutes it took to put in a Styrofoam container and place in a bag and carrying it 20 feet warrants no additional amount than 2 dollars. 2 dollars per 5 mins = $24/hr!

Tipping when I drive there and walk in to get it, hell no. I paid you for the food, nothing more.

Actually (at Applebees at least) the kitchen puts it in the containers and walks it to the take-out table. All these kids did was literally punch into the comp what you said when you called then walk it 10 feet out the door when they saw your car pull up.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006

Well chefs tend to make more than $2.13/hour and usually get benefits like vacation time and health insurance

and its their job to make a quality, tasty meal for people. thats all they do all day. im not gonna leave out a couple network drops on a job because they didnt tip me, or make the graphics all grey if they didnt tip the last time i did work for them, why would a chef make a steak crappy if i didnt give him extra money the last time?

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Otherwise no.

KT

KT

Are you joking? "4 happy meals and a side of fries...btw here's an extra $5.00 for being able to work a cash register"

Even if he ordered for 40 people it's their freaking job. All they did was write down what he said over the phone. Hell, if he showed up with it all written down he could walk his order to the kitcken and pick it up himself.

No I'm not joking, did my post make it seem like I was?

Where I used to work the servers had to pay a portion of ther tips to the kitchen, but it was based on sales, so whether the server received a tip on the bill or not, they still had to payout to the kitchen (I was in the kitchen, so perfectly happy with this). For this reason I am probably more likely to tip on takeout than the average person, even though I know this scenario is not all that common, or at least it shouldn't be. By the way I'm also talking about actual restaurants here, not McDonald's or any other fast food joint.

Oh and if you think being a decent server requires no talent, well then I think you are a little misguided to say the least.

KT

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
I am pretty sure that the server working take out still gets paid something like 2.50/hr. My wife was the one that told me about that. She was horrified when I didn't tip for a togo order at Chili's. Now I tip them the 15% I normally would if I were to go in and eat.

Lazy8s

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2004

Otherwise no.

KT

KT

No I'm not joking, did my post make it seem like I was?

Where I used to work the servers had to pay a portion of ther tips to the kitchen, but it was based on sales, so whether the server received a tip on the bill or not, they still had to payout to the kitchen (I was in the kitchen, so perfectly happy with this). For this reason I am probably more likely to tip on takeout than the average person, even though I know this scenario is not all that common, or at least it shouldn't be. By the way I'm also talking about actual restaurants here, not McDonald's or any other fast food joint.

Oh and if you think being a decent server requires no talent, well then I think you are a little misguided to say the least.

KT

I didn't say it required no talent my best friend growing up's mom waited at the Ritz and made a freaking killing. I'm saying being a to-go worker takes no skill, and it doesn't.

Well chefs do make more than $2.13/hour and usually get benefits like vacation time and health insurance

So should we tip people at walmart because they took a low-paying job? If some idiot is willing to make $2.13 an hour let them. Do you people realize that if tips don't bring them to min wage the restaurant is required by law to pay them min wage? If they make $2.13 an hour and they got 0 tips they would get a check for minimum wage. Lowering their hourly wages is a way to guilt people into thinking they need to be tipped to earn enough.

If you don't wanna tip then don't tip, thats your prerogative and frankly I don't give a shit what you do. I was just pointing out why we usually tip servers for good service and not chefs and that is because chefs are paid based on the fact that they don't get tips.

So, if restaurants lowered the wages of chefs to increase their profit margain you would start tipping chefs? What about people at the show store that fit you and run to get all 100 shows you try on? If the store lowered their wage to $1/hr would you start tipping them? Frankly, the idea that a restaurant lowered their age below min wage means we should tip is rediculous.

Originally posted by: Narse
I am pretty sure that the server working take out still gets paid something like 2.50/hr. My wife was the one that told me about that. She was horrified when I didn't tip for a togo order at Chili's. Now I tip them the 15% I normally would if I were to go in and eat.

/facepalm see reply to above poster...