Time to RMA my 4850?

geoffry

Sep 3, 2007
So I played Crysis, Half Life 2 Ep 2, Portal and TF2 with my 4850 with zero problems, even with the fan at stock.

WiC seems to kill it, the screen turns sort of a checkered grey and the machine freezes, I need to hit the restart button on my puter case.

I thought it might be heat so I used the fan profile fix to have the fan at 40, then 45, then 50, then 55, then 60, and then 65 and it still does this, I get a little further in each session but it doesnt last more than 10-15 minutes.

The GPU can't be getting too hot with the fan that high, and that sucker is getting loud, I don't want to put it much higher.

Do you guys think its a driver issue (perhaps I didn't clean out my NVDA drivers good enough?) or its the actual card going kapoot?

Thanks in advance.

phantom404

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Does it only happen on WiC now? Or does it do it on all your other games as well. If only on WiC i would guess drivers or like you said nv conflict. If it was the card it would seem to do it in Crysis as well I would think. Thats just MO.

geoffry

Sep 3, 2007
Thats a good idea.

I also played lots of Assassin's Creed, I'll try that and some games on Steam...I already uninstalled Crysis...I played through it once and just can't get into it anymore, I really am starting to hate it, lol.

geoffry

Sep 3, 2007
About 30 minutes of AC and not one problem with the fan at 40.

Looks like it is some kind of software problem, not hardware.

Thanks.

geoffry

Sep 3, 2007
I used Driver Sweeper and it still does it, so that rules out NVDA conflict.

I guess I'll need to wait for the 8.8's to give it another try.

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
i have the 4870 and cat 8.7's and i have had two freezes in WiC in the last week.

however, i have played for like 12 hours in a week with two freezes. no freezes in 2142 at all. im guessing its a driver glitch. i check my temps and they are fine.

geoffry

Sep 3, 2007
Originally posted by: idiotekniQues
i have the 4870 and cat 8.7's and i have had two freezes in WiC in the last week.

however, i have played for like 12 hours in a week with two freezes. no freezes in 2142 at all. im guessing its a driver glitch. i check my temps and they are fine.

Ya, I initially got worried but upon some examination of the situation I'm almost positive its the ATI drivers.

I wasn't getting artifacts that would indicate overheating, it would just freeze up. And the temps were around 80 full load with the fan at 45, nothing too crazy.

And AC was fine after as well.