MoBo: ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0,
GFX: ASUS ENGT240 Silent/DI/1GD3 GeForce GT 240 1GB DDR3,
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB DDR3 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800),
CPU HS: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler,
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3
Data-HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5",
OS-HDD: WD Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
ODD: Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner AD-7261S-0B LightScribe,

Its time to upgrade, i need a new system.
I am a musician, a lot of Sound engineering and Sound programming tasks. Some of you might be familiar with
softwares like Cubase, Kontakt, Reaktor, Wavelab and else...i also do quiet a few things with Photoshop or with
Video editing softwares. And once in a while i like to sit and Play COD, BF and few similar games, nothing extreme.

What can i use from my existing rig if i decide to dissasemble it instead of selling it, as i experienced i dont
really like the Antec case, too messed up for cables. Budget 1500$, i already have Monitor and Operating System.
If i sell it i will make a few hundred bucks if not it still dont matter, budget stays the same.

The question is what is it worth to upgrade to where i can actually see improved performance.
This time silence is not as important as it was when i was building my first Rig, not that it will change location,
it will be on the same spot again but i experienced with these components that is not as bad as i thought it was
and of course i do not want a tractor trailer in my studio but i wont be as picky as i was.
I am between:
Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Processor
(10M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)
Intel® Core™ i7-2700K Processor
(8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)
Is it worth going on Bridge-E or staying at 26-2700?
X58 or X79?

I dont know, lets start with some ideas please?

Thank You All!

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Do you feel your current CPU isn't fast enough? Video encoding or other sorts of processing take too long? Being a 2.8Ghz hyperthreaded quadcore, i7-860 is a pretty fast processor. Clock for clock, it's not far from a modern $300 i7-2600K. You should overclock it if you haven't already.

The only weak links I can see are
1) the slow GPU (for 1080p, a 7850 2GB would be appropriate)
2) the lack of an SSD. The SSD would set you back $160 (M4 128GB)
3) only 4GB RAM (2x4GB 1600mhz for $45)

Last edited:

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
3820 is pointless. You can't overclock it, and it doesn't significantly beat a 2600k.

You could go with a 3930k, but with mobo that would eat 2/3 of your budget. Doesn't leave much room for a new GPU - although it looks like you don't care much about a GPU.

When do you want to upgrade? Can you wait for Ivy Bridge? Do you want to overclock? It seems like [thread=80121]I've seen some of these questions before[/thread]. (Hint, hint. ;))

BasariStudios

Nov 7, 2009
www.basaristudios.com
Thanks Guys, i think i can leave with this PC, i can do the preferred upgrades from above
but i dont know how to overclock...with little help maybe i can go another year with this:

This is my current WE Rating:

Thanks

BasariStudios

Nov 7, 2009
www.basaristudios.com
Ken, i wanna upgrade next 2 months the most...to have it ready in 2 months.
GPU i can upgrade if need it i dont care, i can add 8GB RAM and throw away
what i have is not a big deal...HDDs i will probably change for SATA 6/gbs
and also add a small SSD for System. Yes i do wanna overclock it but i dont
know detailed overclocking, i have it at 3.1 GHZ the automated one in BIOS.
Is overclocking a good idea on this Rig? Are my components able to handle?

Thanks

Last edited:

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
You should overclock it if you haven't already.
This. It looks like you're only using the turbo feature. And you already have a nice, big heat sink. I'd give it a try.

Here are some pages of overclocking info:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2663/2
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2712
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=230509

Generally keep your core voltage low on 32nm 3-digit i7 processors (1.25V-1.35V max) - they burn out easier than other processors at high voltages. Edit: You have 45nm, so you can push voltages a bit higher.

I like to keep my CPU under 65C under load; some are less cautious. Test with [thread=2195063]these programs[/thread] to verify stability, and check your temperatures while doing so.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
BasariStudios said:
HDDs i will probably change for SATA 6/gbs
That is a pointless upgrade since HDD's don't even saturate the 3gb/s bandwidth. And even more pointless once you get the SSD to install your OS on.

Yes i do wanna overclock it but i dont
know detailed overclocking, i have it at 3.1 GHZ the automated one in BIOS.
Is overclocking a good idea on this Rig? Are my components able to handle?Thanks
Yes. You have decent cooling and capable power supply. Read up on it as much as you can from as many sources as you can so you'll know what you're doing :). To start with, here's a Guide to Overclocking Lynnfield on Asus P7P55D Deluxe.

Ken g6 said:
I like to keep my CPU under 65C under load; some are less cautious.

This is achievable on a moderate OC. My CPU runs at about 65C with an overclock from 2.66GHz to 3.2Ghz or 20% increase. I'm using a Scythe Mugen 2 which is roughly equal if not a bit better than your heatsink.

Last edited:

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
It looks like your current board can support that amount of RAM, yes. I suppose it might be useful for some of your software; though I think 12GB (8GB + your existing 4GB) would be almost as useful.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Do you feel your current CPU isn't fast enough? Video encoding or other sorts of processing take too long?

OP, given that you have a pretty powerful system already, we really need to know the answers to these types of questions before we can make good recommendations.

What exactly (excepting the case) don't you like about your current build? What is it doing (or not doing) that you would like to improve?

BasariStudios

Nov 7, 2009
www.basaristudios.com
Ok, time to clarify:
1. On some stuff it gets slow, not to extremes but maybe in my own expectations
2. RAM is out of whack i already know that, its too litle
3. Video wise i havent notice any lack of performance, i use PS, PowerDirector
4. Not too Extreme Gaming, mostly Call of Duty and Civilisation kind of games
and never had a problem with any of those
5. Disks are a little slow but that can be fixed

As everyone says i should just update this one and then OC.

Thanks

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
1. What stuff? I'm asking because we need to know if this is disk performance or CPU performance related.
2. Do you know that for a fact, i.e. have you monitored your RAM usage (using task manager)?
3. This would suggest your CPU is fast enough as expected.
4. For your uses, your GPU seems to be fast enough. Don't upgrade if there's nothing wrong with the framerates in the games you play.
5. Yes.

What if i get 2 pairs of those? 4x4.
8GB should be enough

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
1. What stuff? I'm asking because we need to know if this is disk performance or CPU performance related.
2. Do you know that for a fact, i.e. have you monitored your RAM usage (using task manager)?
3. This would suggest your CPU is fast enough as expected.
4. For your uses, your GPU seems to be fast enough. Don't upgrade if there's nothing wrong with the framerates in the games you play.
5. Yes.

8GB should be enough

:thumbsup: