Time sensitive problem: Help me pick out a DVD burner from Newegg

hurtstotalktoyou

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2005
Hey, all. I know this isn't *that* important, but I sure could use some help. I've got just a few minutes to pick out a DVD burner from Newegg. I've got $30 credit. I may be able to spend $10 or so more, but my max budget is $40. Here are my requirements:

1. It must be reliable! That's my #1 concern! In other words, it's got to read and write to all DVD+/-R/W and CD-R/W media, and do so without spitting out coasters.
2. I'd really like it to at least read DVD-RAMs, and writing DVD-RAMs would be nice, too.
3. I'd like SATA. But I can live with EIDE, if SATA is too expensive.
4. A retail box with Nero is a plus, but not necessary by any means.

What don't I care about?
1. I don't care about lightscribe. Not one bit.
2. I don't care about speed. 20X is no different from 16X as far as I'm concerned.
3. I don't really care about the color, although I guess if I get to choose for less than a couple dollars I'd prefer a dark-colored drive.

Please help me out, guys. The clock is ticking!

Thanks in advance!

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
You know if you go to Newegg and search their DVD burners with the requirements you posted, you'll come up with a few that you can choose from yourself. :)

hurtstotalktoyou

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2005
Let's see... Here are base model SATA drives from various manufacturers...

$28 - Sony - w/DVD-RAM, OEM
$33 - Lite-on - w/DVD-RAM, OEM
$33 - Asus - w/DVD-RAM, OEM
$35 - LG - w/DVD-RAM, OEM
$36 - Samsung - w/DVD-RAM, OEM
$37 - Pioneer - no DVD-RAM, OEM

I will *not* get Philips, as I have had major problems with their drives.

Looking at these drives, I think I'm most interested in the LG and Lite-on. All drives have negative reviews, but the LG and Lite-on models (including other models than the ones above) seem to have the least trouble. Which do you folks think is best? I'm leaning towards the LG. Does that sound okay? Or should I go with something else entirely, like the Samsung or Asus?

Dec 30, 2004
You know in my last Dungeons and Dragons session my friend's dad (the DM) kept telling us while we were playing smashbros that "Time is of the essence!"

We got the final room 15 minutes late, but he let us in anyways even though the door of binding had technically shut.

The lesson you can take with you today: it's ok to be 15 minutes late. The universe will wait.

hurtstotalktoyou

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2005
On second thought, I think the Lite-on might be best. What do you think?

So, I'm about to pull the trigger, here. This is the drive I plan on getting:

$32.99 Lite-on LH-20A1S OEM BK
20X max DVD burning speed, DVD-RAM write capable, OEM, SATA, black color
-$30 credit = $2.99 (free shipping)

Sound good?

I hope so.

Arcanedeath

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2000
I've had good luck w/ the Asus Sata drive linked above, I bought a couple to replace a liteon I had issues w/ and have been happy. Main thing is they are quiet compared to most other drives I've had. Excellent quality burners too.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
$28 - Sony - w/DVD-RAM, OEM
$33 - Lite-on - w/DVD-RAM, OEM
$33 - Asus - w/DVD-RAM, OEM
$35 - LG - w/DVD-RAM, OEM
$36 - Samsung - w/DVD-RAM, OEM
$37 - Pioneer - no DVD-RAM, OEM

i have a feeling such behavior does not displease Newegg.

why doesn't ZZF get a clue ? the Egg has pictures, and forums for every product. these little things that make shopping at the Egg a little easier. another example being, the Cust. Choice awards.

is choosing a "Cust. Choice" DVD-RAM a reasonable option ? one or 2 of those 6 links has to be a Cust. Choice DVD-RAM.

hurtstotalktoyou

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The drive has been purchased. You're welcome to continue the discussion, of course, but please keep that in mind.

However, I'm still curious what y'all think of DVD burner manufacturers. Which do you have the best luck with? Here's a list of the optical drives I and my close family have owned:

1. unknown 16x CD-ROM; still working perfectly after eight years
1. Sony 40x CD-ROM; started malfunctioning after a month or two

3. unknown brand (possibly Mitsumi) 16x DVD-ROM (installed in HP Pavilion 734n); died after a year
4. Memorex 16x DVD-ROM; worked perfectly for two years, then I sold it

5. HP 4x CD burner, still working perfectly after eight years
6. HP CD Writer Plus 8290 4x CD burner, still working perfectly after four years of my use, and probably a few more years of use by the previous owner
7. Philips 8x CD burner, died after a year
8. Philips 8x CD burner, worked perfectly for a year, then I sold it
9. Hi-val 24x CD burner, worker perfectly for three years, then I sold it
10. Mitsumi 40x CD burner; began malfunctioning after a year

11. NEC ND-1100A 4x DVD burner; started malfunctioning after three years of use
12. Lite-on LDW-411S 4x DVD burner, still works perfectly after two years of my use, and probably a couple more years by the previous owner
13. Lite-on SHM-165H6S 16x DVD burner; worked perfectly for one year, then I spilled soda pop into it, and it began to malfunction
14. Philips SPD2513BD 20x DVD burner; malfunctioned from day one

In summary, here's the track record for my optical drives:
2-0 HP
2-0 Lite-on
1-0 Hi-val
1-0 Memorex
1-1 unknown
1-2 Philips
0-1 Mitsumi
0-1 NEC
0-1 Sony