Time Magazine: Hillary voters should threaten to not pay taxes.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
1st they would have to have their employers stop taking it out of their check because, like most here, they aren't self employed. 2nd An IRS agent can swipe their bank accounts without getting out of their chairs.

Not without a paycheck they wont. Government employees dont do anything out of duty or loyalty. And people holding their money back can hold out a LOT longer than government employees.
The government needs us way more than we need them.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
You are correct. Limousine liberals have been quite effective at avoiding having to pay for the programs they so loudly champion.

Yeah, every time a new tax law is passed theres always some loopholes which people of means can milk like crazy.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Not without a paycheck they wont. Government employees dont do anything out of duty or loyalty. And people holding their money back can hold out a LOT longer than government employees.
The government needs us way more than we need them.
I think you're wrong. I, the IRS agent, garnishes 1000 people's paycheck/bank accounts and I'm paid for a long time to come.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
nice baseless speculation, remind me again which states take the most from the govt and their political party affiliation.

:D Hit a nerve I guess. Many of the illary supporters already probably don't pay taxes so it really wouldn't make much of a difference if they "stopped" paying. lol

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Then by all means proceed with your boycott. It is a lofty idea. Not particularly practical. Liberals demonstrated remarkable strategy in this past election. I expect your boycott idea will be equally strategic in its effectiveness.

Wait, I thought that strategy had already been in place for years. Geithner anyone? :D

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
And much of your farm goods.

I hope suburban liberals can live without their status symbol BMW X3, X4, X5 or X6. All exclusively made in South Carolina.

Same for the 787. Better not fly on any airline buying them as Boeing Charleston continues to pull work from Puget Sound.

Scrap all you Dell contracts.

Stop ordering from Amazon. Many if their fulfilment centers are in reliably red areas of the country.

Feb 16, 2005
:D Hit a nerve I guess. Many of the illary supporters already probably don't pay taxes so it really wouldn't make much of a difference if they "stopped" paying. lol
nope, you just seem to be immune to reality. I'm sure all those fine folks down in the red states on the govt teat aren't leeches, right?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Oh sorry.
Whats the deliberate version of a loophole?

Definition of loophole
  1. 1 a : a small opening through which small arms may be fired b : a similar opening to admit light and air or to permit observation

2. 2 : a means of escape; especially : an ambiguity or omission in the text through which the intent of a statute, contract, or obligation may be evaded
Deliberate or not doesn't really matter, but I agree, the nature of the world is that those with means will always have more ways to skirt laws and regulations than everyone else. The simpler the code, the less room for shenanigans IMO.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
And much of your farm goods.
Well to be fair, California generates a lot of fruits and nuts and dairy and produce. The Kate Spade liberal suburban soccer mom demographic would literally collapse were it not for the self medicating wine that flows from Napa, stocked at a Trader Joes near you right next to the artisanal truffled cheddar.

Reactions: FerrelGeek

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'd have so much more respect for the pot users if they were just honest about it and said "look, it's no different than alcohol, I don't need the nanny state telling me what I can't smoke, so long as I'm not hurting anyone else". The people with actual medical need for pot are such a tiny fraction of the users it's not even relevant, it's not even a rounding error.

What I've always found fascinating is that even though marijuana isn't supposed to be addictive like some of the other drugs, people are willing to risk money, jobs, career, family and even prison to keep using it. Obviously there's a big addiction there, whether psychological or physical.

Not a marijuana user here but I can't come up with any convincing reason that it should be illegal while alcohol and tobacco products are legal. I guess it comes down to having a sufficiently powerful lobby protecting the interests of the latter. Also the prohibition effort against it is an expensive joke on the taxpayer.

Anecdotally I've seen the medical upsides for people with serious illnesses and I'm not in any position to tell them that they shouldn't be able to obtain it because of the hypocritical and illogical professed morality of a few people.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
nope, you just seem to be immune to reality. I'm sure all those fine folks down in the red states on the govt teat aren't leeches, right?

You're going by "red state" and "blue state", but that's inherently wrong because there's no such thing. All it means is a majority of voters in a state voted for one side or the other, but it doesn't tell you a thing about how those voters were split. For example, Alabama is a "red state", but how do we know the 40% of people in Alabama who voted blue aren't also all the non-taxpayers?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Please elaborate on this artisanal truffled cheddar. :D
LOL. They had it at the samples station last week. Take cheddar. Drizzle truffle infused olive oil over it. Instant artisanal truffled cheddar.

I love products from California. I would die if they cut off my access to Ghiradelli.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Not a marijuana user here but I can't come up with any convincing reason that it should be illegal while alcohol and tobacco products are legal. I guess it comes down to having a sufficiently powerful lobby protecting the interests of the latter. Also the prohibition effort against it is an expensive joke on the taxpayer.

Anecdotally I've seen the medical upsides for people with serious illnesses and I'm not in any position to tell them that they shouldn't be able to obtain it because of the hypocritical and illogical professed morality of a few people.

You'll get no argument from me on any of that, just pointing out that the whole "medical need" stuff is a load of crap.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
you'd be lucky to get 65 people to do it. But yea, if 65 million did it, it would do some serious damage

Well, the federal government is already spending more than it takes in. What's another 300B - 600B in deficit spending among friends? <total swag range (round numbers) based on 65M taxpayers @ $5k - $10K in taxes>

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
You'll get no argument from me on any of that, just pointing out that the whole "medical need" stuff is a load of crap.

Watch somebody slowly die from pancreatic cancer and you might change your mind.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
But most of the demographic you cite are libs, so they'll get what they deserve.

Well to be fair, California generates a lot of fruits and nuts and dairy and produce. The Kate Spade liberal suburban soccer mom demographic would literally collapse were it not for the self medicating wine that flows from Napa, stocked at a Trader Joes near you right next to the artisanal truffled cheddar.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Watch somebody slowly die from pancreatic cancer and you might change your mind.

Yeah, considering I recently did just that :(, I can assure you that my opinion hasn't changed one bit. As I already said, I'm convinced there are plenty of legit medical uses and medical need, but the vast majority of users are not in that category.