Time for the stupidest post of the evening

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
How to stop a hurricane...

Let me predicate this with: This is probably the single most idiotic thing I've ever posted here and I know how stupid this is going to sound but it was just one of those fleeting thoughs that is so rediculious.... well, you know... so here goes.

I was weedeating out in the yard when the though dawned on me, has anyone ever tried to stop a hurricane? How would you do it? Basically you'd need some kind of braking mechanism to stop the rotation right? Dont' ask me why, but I thought of that stupid scene from "The Core" where they're lighting off nukes to jump start the planet.

Again, I said tighten your tinfoil hat, but what if we tried that with conventional weapons on a hurricane only in reverse? Or what if we just bombed the living hell out of the whole thing all at once. Maybe super-heat it, or dissipate some of the moisture? There'd have to be some turbulance from the bombs that might interrupt the storm. I know, how retarded, right?

But seriously, what would you need to stop a hurricane dead in its tracks? Anyone ever thought about that before? Let your imagination go on this one and lets have one of those stupid dreamer mad-scientist discussions like we did when we were kids and see if we can figure out what it would take to stop a hurricane. The rules are that the solution has to be within the scope of today's technology.

[zips up flamesuit just incase / dons 'vilage idiot cap' voulintarily];)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Hurricanes are hundreds of miles across. Even a couple hundred MOABs wouldn't be more than a trail of smoke in comparison.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The amount of power needed to have any effect would require atomics, which are much more practical(!) inside the core than in the atmosphere where the radiation would cause massive damage to life.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
:shocked: I'll be DAMNED! I just saw FiLeZz thread Here

So obviously I'm not the only one thinking along these lines!!!

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
has anyone ever tried to stop a hurricane? How would you do it? Basically you'd need some kind of braking mechanism to stop the rotation right? Dont' ask me why, but I thought of that stupid scene from "The Core" where they're lighting off nukes to jump start the planet.

Stop no, weaken yes. There are public and private firms who have tackled this. The US air force had a program for awhile but it was shut down as it's really hard to prove it had an effect and certain countries (read Cuba) accused us of intentionally directing hurricanes away from the US towards them.

Concepts range from dropping an oil like slick over water to prevent absorption to space mirrors to target solar energy into the storm to cause the eye to collapse.

Convential and nuclear weapons won't do a thing, they are usefull against structures, not air itself...

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: bsobel
has anyone ever tried to stop a hurricane? How would you do it? Basically you'd need some kind of braking mechanism to stop the rotation right? Dont' ask me why, but I thought of that stupid scene from "The Core" where they're lighting off nukes to jump start the planet.

Stop no, weaken yes. There are public and private firms who have tackled this. The US air force had a program for awhile but it was shut down as it's really hard to prove it had an effect and certain countries (read Cuba) accused us of intentionally directing hurricanes away from the US towards them.

Concepts range from dropping an oil like slick over water to prevent absorption to space mirrors to target solar energy into the storm to cause the eye to collapse.

Convential and nuclear weapons won't do a thing, they are usefull against structures, not air itself...

No kidding? Do you have some linkage to any of these projects? I would be interested in reading about them.

I wonder why the space mirror idea was stopped?

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
i know that people in the early 1900s tried to stop tornadoes by disrupting them with dynamite.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JoLLyRoGer
Originally posted by: bsobel

No kidding? Do you have some linkage to any of these projects? I would be interested in reading about them.

I wonder why the space mirror idea was stopped?

If the mirror is off it's aim by even a tiny bit, it's going to be heating the ocean water. Instead of weakening the hurricane, that could lead to strengthening it.

I don't know if that is why it was stopped (didn't know it was being tested) but that makes logical sense to me.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Why don't we try diplomacy? We could work out an incentive program to halt development of the storms and to dismantle the ones already produced before they make landfall.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Now if you'll read the OP, I never mentioned nukes in this thread.. Now there are some other interesting ideas and bsobel's link had some interesting content (I'm still reading it). So lets stick with conventional weapons where bombing the hurricane is concerned.

Anyway, I've got to go but I'll be back in a few hours. I'll check in then and see what direction this thread has taken

Have fun!

JR..