Time for a new Video Card... Which one for me?

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Here is the back story, please skip down to the question (in bold) if you don't care to know the history.

About 15 months ago I made a post asking what I should upgrade next (http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2097990). I always do a piece by piece upgrade rather then a whole new system since I don't have a ton of money to spend at one time (for my PC, that is). It was down to a new Monitor, Video Card, or Operating System. Boy, a lot has happened in that time.

I up buying a new monitor and O/S. I can't remember which came first. I got a 24" HP IPS monitor (ZR24W). I love the monitor. Good screen size and wonderful colors. I also have upgraded from Win XP Pro to Win7 Home Premium. At the same time I bought the O/S, I got a 96GB SSD. I still play BFBC2 and it still plays well. I don't run the highest settings, but it is more then fine for me. I do remember seeing more details since in BFBC2 since the upgrades. I don't know if it was from the upgrade from DX9 or if it was going from a TN panel to a IPS. I remember being stunned at how much better the smoke looked (during the loading screen on Panama Canal).

Recently, I upgraded from 2x2GB to 2x4GB of ram. I know that for what I do with my PC it won't make a big difference, but I also know that for current ram prices it was probably worth the $35 or so. The odd thing is that my pings seem to have lowered. Maybe it was that I had the modem and router unplugged for a while, when I had pulled out my PC to install the ram. If not, the only reason could be the more memory (everything else stayed the same)

OK, here is the question:
Now I'd like help in choosing what video card to get. I am still nobodies fanboy. I'll go with ATI or Nvidia depending which offers me the best product at the best price. But, I am also looking for a good warranty. It might matter a little bit less given that some companies have gone under lately (ie: BFG and someone else who used to offer a lifetime warranty). I think that limits me to a XFX or EVGA card (does EVGA still offer a 'real' lifetime warranty?)

Here are my PC specifications:
Windows 7 Home Premium
Asus M4A79XTD EVO mobo (using onboard audio now)
AMD Phenom II BE 555 (unlocked to quad core + O/C'd to 3.6Ghz)
Contac 29 heatsink with 120mm fan
2x4gb of Gskill ram (can't use the other 2 memory slots due to my CPU heatsink)
OCZ modxstream pro 700w PSU
96GB Kingston SSD
BFG 8800GTS 640MB
HP ZR24W 1920x1200 IPS Monitor

I don't have a 'hard' budget in place. I'd like to spend around $200, but I could go higher if things are worth it.

I surf the web (including car and PC forums), I game a bit (currently BFBC2), and I occasionally watch movies on my PC. I am thinking that I *might* want a ATI card because that would leave the possibility of Crossfire open for later on? But recently I remember reading somewhere that Nvidia is offering SLI on AMD motherboards (I have no idea if it is accurate or if it will work on my motherboard). In case it matters, I bought an 'upgrade' version of Win7. I believe that means that I am locked into using that O/S on my current Mobo.

I am considering buying BF3 (I might tell my family to get it for me for X-Mas). If I wasn't considering that, I probably wouldn't be considering upgrading my Video Card. That 8800GTS still does everything I ask of it. Would waiting another month or two make a difference? I honestly don't know what memory size I'll need on the new card. I don't know if going from 1gb to a 2gb card would make a difference for my PC and what I plan to use on it.

I apologize for such a long post. I tried to be complete and accurate. I also tried to make skipping the back story optional. I would greatly appreciate suggestions and advice on what is considered a good choice for me.

For what it is worth, I just saw a XFX 1Gb 6950 card on Newegg for $210 shipped ($180 AMIR). I'd think that is close to the best that ATI is offering at the moment. Again, I don't know if I'd want more then 1gb, if the 'extra' Compute Cores, Stream Processors + Texture Units are worth the price premium, etc...

One other thing I've been wondering about:
Should I consider getting a used card? I've heard that people were buying tons of video cards for bitcoin mining. I assume that any of those cards would have been run 24/7. *If* I could find a used one for sale *that still has a lifetime warranty* is there any reason I shouldn't get it? IIRC, XFX offers a 'double lifetime warranty' which *I believe* means that it is a lifetime warranty that is transferable once.

-Thanks, Ken

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
SInce you only have a 8800gts 640 mb, I would just grab a 6870 2gb card, it will be 3x faster than what you have, has the extra memory you need, and is in your budget at 179$ AR on Newegg.

IGhzI

Nov 6, 2011
Just wait till the 7 series hits the market.. you'll have a better choice of cards and the 6 series will drop in price

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
happy medium said:
... just grab a 6870 2gb card ... has the extra memory you need...

Could you please explain why you say that I 'need' a 2GB Video Card? Even the BF3 'Recommended Specs' don't suggest a 2GB card. The 'minimum requirements' section state a 512MB card while the Recommended section state a 1GB card.

-Thanks, Ken

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Could you please explain why you say that I 'need' a 2GB Video Card? Even the BF3 'Recommended Specs' don't suggest a 2GB card. The 'minimum requirements' section state a 512MB card while the Recommended section state a 1GB card.

-Thanks, Ken
and the recommended gpu for Far Cry 2 is an 8600gts so let me know how that works out. :D

recommended requirements are usually the real world minimum and are just a baseline for acceptable performance at modest settings. you actually want to enjoy a modern game at 1920 with settings turned up then you better blow away those recommended requirements in most cases.

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
and the recommended gpu for Far Cry 2 is an 8600gts so let me know how that works out. :D

recommended requirements are usually the real world minimum and are just a baseline for acceptable performance at modest settings. you actually want to enjoy a modern game at 1920 with settings turned up then you better blow away those recommended requirements in most cases.

My question still stands as to why I 'need' the 2GB card. I'm not against buying it, but I'm confused as to what his reasoning is. I'm wondering is he saying that I need it because of screen resolution? Because the amount of textures BF3 has? Or what? I'm interested in learning why I need it.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
SInce you only have a 8800gts 640 mb, I would just grab a 6870 2gb card, it will be 3x faster than what you have, has the extra memory you need, and is in your budget at 179$ AR on Newegg.

My question still stands as to why I 'need' the 2GB card. I'm not against buying it, but I'm confused as to what his reasoning is. I'm wondering is he saying that I need it because of screen resolution? Because the amount of textures BF3 has? Or what? I'm interested in learning why I need it.

He's recommending the 2GB version because it's more future proof. You cannot run ultra settings in BF3 on a 1GB card.

That being said, you can't run ultra settings on a 6870 2GB either, because it's not fast enough. Honestly, for your system and your needs, the cheaper 6870 1GB is probably fine. If you think you might crossfire down the line, I'd get the 2GB version, though. A 6950 1GB for $180 would be great, but I don't see that at Newegg right now. Anyway, once you get into that kind of card, the 2GB might be worth the extra cost regardless of whether you're going to do crossfire. More and more games will need the extra VRAM for textures and AA.

Last edited:

TheAdvocate

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2005
HP ZR24W 1920x1200 IPS Monitor

That is why you'll want a 2GB card. Or at least a GTX 570. Modern games will easily use all that VRAM, especially at that resolution. (That's a nice monitor BTW. I want one).

I'd be sorely tempted to wait for the Radeon 7xxx series at this point. Depends on how eager you are to upgrade right now. Get a 6950 2GB if you can't wait. Buy a 2nd one later when theyre cheap and xFire.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I am thinking that I *might* want a ATI card because that would leave the possibility of Crossfire open for later on

Thats why I suggested a 6870 2gb.

The new gtx560ti 448 core will be out next week, I would wait to check that out.

Last edited:

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Thank you guys for the replies and explanations. I didn't realize that the 7 series / new gtx560ti are being released so soon. I think I will wait and see what prices are in the next week or two.

I'll be watching to see if anything super hot is offered around Black Friday. I'm leery of buying anything electronic in the week or two before Thanksgiving.

Might I ask what you guys think of a used card? IIRC, Bitcoin mining was best done by an ATI card and I figure when the 7 series comes out, there might be a flood of used 6 series cards for sale. Though, I don't know if any of those cards will be 2GB versions. Is the larger memory preferred by miners? I don't know if there would be a downside to a used XFX card with the double lifetime warranty?

Again, thanks for all of the information / help so far. I always learn a lot in here. The pace of information surrounding Video Cards always amazes me. The fact that you guys can keep up with that pace leaves me in awe!

Wow, that 6950 that I was looking at for $180 is now $200 two days later...

-Ken

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
A nice benefit of getting a crossfire-likely card is that really helps later if you decide to resell the card. if you get a 6950 2GB, I bet more people will be looking for that card on craigslist later on when they go to crossfire their own, so you can more easily sell it and upgrade to a 7xxx series card.

I just recently sold my 5870 to a guy who wanted to crossfire his own 5870. I guess the math made sense to him, but I'm going to hold off and buy a 7XXX series later. Luckily I'm only playing Starcraft II, so I can get by using a $20 HD 5450 with settings turned down (and actually, the low settings can simplify gameplay and make it easier to focus on strategic clicking/decisionmaking without eyecandy distractions). Anyway, I'm also using a Phenom II 555, so Starcraft II was limited by my CPU and not the 5870 when I used it. Interestingly, although my CPU easily unlocks to all 4 cores, I choose *not* to unlock all 4 cores and run only 2 cores because Starcraft II doesn't really benefit from more than 2 cores. That way, I can achieve a higher overclock on dual core, save electricity and heat, and still get a pleasurable gameplay experience with a super cheap video card due to the specific game I'm playing with intentionally low settings to focus on strategy/gameplay instead of eyecandy, and it's CPU bottle-neck.

BTW my computer will idle at 50 Watts at the outlet (using a Kill-o-Watt meter) when I use my onboard/integrated HD4290 graphics, which will also let me play SC2. I plan to set up hybrid crossfire to see how it effects gameplay and if it's worth the extra power consumption.