Tim Cook: Apple won't merge iOS and OS X

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
The next question would be will they make a device that will merge iOS and OS X...something that will run both. I am guessing we wouldn't get an answer from Tim on that. :)

-KeithP

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I doubt they'll ever make a dual boot device because that doesn't fit in with Apple's design philosophy.

OS X could be adapted for a touch or at least stylus interface easily enough. It can run full screen apps, has Launch Control. When I've brought up the concept of a Surface Pro like Mac before though, a lot of Apple fans have been quick to poo poo the idea. So maybe there's just no demand for it.

I'm hoping the iPad Pro will at least get some Pro apps like a proper version of Photoshop.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
An iPad Pro running OSX would've been awesome. That's what I thought the iPad Pro was going to be.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
An iPad Pro running OSX would've been awesome. That's what I thought the iPad Pro was going to be.

True, but it probably would have eaten into their mac book sales. Why get a macbook when the ipad pro would eliminate the need for one? Actually, an ipad pro running osx would nearly eliminate the need for any mac laptop and some desktops!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I doubt they'll ever make a dual boot device because that doesn't fit in with Apple's design philosophy.

What's interesting is that if you use Chrome, you can get ARC Welder to run plenty of Android apps. I've got my Wink smarthome Android app running on my Mac that way for controlling the lights & stuff that way. Would be interesting to see Apple add support for apps in a similar fashion to OS X.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
True, but it probably would have eaten into their mac book sales. Why get a macbook when the ipad pro would eliminate the need for one? Actually, an ipad pro running osx would nearly eliminate the need for any mac laptop and some desktops!

Not if they price it at $1500+. That way the Air would start to look like a bargain. ;)

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Apple will either reverse on this, kill one, or they'll add the ability to run iOS apps to OSx. Its kinda of inevitable that mobile and desktop platforms are going to merge to some extent. Win 8 obviously wasn't the right recipie, but the idea of one OS, multiple UIs is a solid concept with SOCs hitting desktop levels of performance.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
IMO Apple will only reverse direction on this if their "we want you to collect the set" logic goes out of the window. The only way I can see that happening would be if another device is created that renders all three lines of products (laptop, desktop, tablet) obsolete.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Apple will either reverse on this, kill one, or they'll add the ability to run iOS apps to OSx. Its kinda of inevitable that mobile and desktop platforms are going to merge to some extent. Win 8 obviously wasn't the right recipie, but the idea of one OS, multiple UIs is a solid concept with SOCs hitting desktop levels of performance.

Windows 10 hit out of the park on that regard. It's just too bad they shoved all that adware crap in there.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
Windows 10 hit out of the park on that regard. It's just too bad they shoved all that adware crap in there.

Well - I've installed Windows 5 computers at home so far. I've been fairly happy with it for desktop usage, but it is annoying to use on my tablet. The App store generally still sucks (I've mostly given up on Apps altogether) and it still seems like there is a huge disconnect between tablet and desktop mode. it's extremely annoying that when I'm in desktop mode, the Edge browser will not bring up the on-screen keyboard. Luckily Google chrome will, so I have to use that. I'm constantly switching back and forth between tablet and desktop mode to get things done. Sometimes I'll be working in an App and have to switch to desktop mode for something else, and then the on-screen keyboard will simply stop working when I go back to the App. So I still think Microsoft has a long way to go.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Yes, the same non-ideal experience on all devices :biggrin:

Teething problems. No reason why it has to happen. You could probably perfectly emulate iOS on OSx for example. The real challenge is getting devs to polish apps that run in multiple modes.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
Teething problems. No reason why it has to happen. You could probably perfectly emulate iOS on OSx for example. The real challenge is getting devs to polish apps that run in multiple modes.

From my own experience, your average app dev has a hard enough time getting their stuff to work properly on ONE platform. You can forget multiple modes. :D

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000

I agree it wouldn't dual boot, that wouldn't be very Apple-like. However I think the idea the only way such a device would work is to "dual boot" is incorrect.

I think a system where the switch would seamlessly happen and not require a restart would be Apple-like and if they were to come up with something like that, it would make for an interesting convertible.

I am not saying they will do it. Apple loves to sell people as much hardware as possible and such a design wouldn't be conducive to that goal. But I don't see the logic in saying Apple won't do something because it doesn't fit their design philosophy. Obviously, they would do said thing in a new way that would be inline with what Apple is all about.

-KeithP

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I agree it wouldn't dual boot, that wouldn't be very Apple-like. However I think the idea the only way such a device would work is to "dual boot" is incorrect.

I think a system where the switch would seamlessly happen and not require a restart would be Apple-like and if they were to come up with something like that, it would make for an interesting convertible.

I am not saying they will do it. Apple loves to sell people as much hardware as possible and such a design wouldn't be conducive to that goal. But I don't see the logic in saying Apple won't do something because it doesn't fit their design philosophy. Obviously, they would do said thing in a new way that would be inline with what Apple is all about.

-KeithP

Yah. Buy a IPP. Works in iOS mode on its own. Connect a keyboard (maybe a docking stand?) and it changes into UI that recognizes keyboard shortcuts, etc. Connect a mouse and it shifts to a OSx like UI. I think the win 10 tablets can do a similar thing. iOS already has a continuity feature were you can shift your work between iOS and OSX on certain apps.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Yah. Buy a IPP. Works in iOS mode on its own. Connect a keyboard (maybe a docking stand?) and it changes into UI that recognizes keyboard shortcuts, etc. Connect a mouse and it shifts to a OSx like UI. I think the win 10 tablets can do a similar thing. iOS already has a continuity feature were you can shift your work between iOS and OSX on certain apps.

Yeah, my dell venue pro works that way.