TightVNCserver wont work by running at startup

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
So my boss tells me to set up unattended access on a linux box at work(UbuntuMate running on an "odroid"(like a RasPi)) with both SSH and VNC. SSH not a problem. VNC...I download it and configure. "tightvnc" I run it. I VNC into it. It works. All is well. Boss says make sure VNC runs at startup so we can remote in at anytime. You would think this would not be a problem. There are many ways of running a program at startup, systemd, crontab @Reboot, adding to shell script etc. So I try a few of these and they seem to work, but I cant get in. It tells me there is an instance of tightvncserver running when I check, so it looks like running it at startup works, but I can then never connect to the box. THEN I cant kill the vncserver process. IT literally wont go away. SO I uninstall tightvncserver. Reboot. Install again. manually run it. it works, I can VNC to the box. I try to make it launch at start up. Same issue. lol.
Im at a loss. Im not a linux expert so I assume there is something Im overlooking. hep meh.

LPCTech

Dec 11, 2013
So...turns out. I was doing it correctly the whole time. My boss tries to login with a different program and it works. The problem was the program I was trying to connect with. Used "VNC Viewer" and it works no problem.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
If you use ssh, and go a bit further and beef up the ssh key and forward a port like external 22000 goes to internal 22 on your lan ip, security is not as much of a concern.

If you run vnc without ssh, and use the default port, yea...you're begging for problems