Tiger Direct

redass1876

Jan 6, 2004
Ok, what does everyone here have against tiger direct?

I dont get it, ive bought 3 or 4 things from them and everything has been great? so what is wrong with them that i havent figured out (except their high shipping)

---

Moved from Hot Deals by AnandTech Moderator.

redass1876

Jan 6, 2004
obviously i need asking, so why? i keep hearing that no one should use them, but i never hear why?

kwo

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2002
Umm..we may perhaps want to move this thread......

But, since I'm wasting bandwidth posting this....I might as well say:

I've bought a couple of things from Tigerdirect..shipping was a little high..and many many people have had problems with rebates.

I, however, just received my $30 rebate for buying a Visiontek Xtasy 64MB 9100 Radeon..so, I'm quite happy!!! :cool:

So, I'm 2 for 2 with them.

Ran

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
I think a big portion of it started about 2-3 years ago. There was thread here in the hot deals about a good deal. Later in the thread as I remember it. Someone noticed that upon checkout they asked it you wanted a free 100 minute call card. A couple of weeks later lots of people started seeing charges to their credit card and didn't recognize the company. It was later traced back to the so called free calling card from tiger.

Their prices aren't that great but I did buy 25 dvd-r's cases ulead studio with a couple of ulead proggies and dvd xcopy express for $59 about a month ago without problems. It is now $50 BTW

rasputinj

Diamond Member
May 15, 2001
I have had pretty good experiences with them. I would not purchase refurbs, and watch out on the dates on the rebates. There prices are pretty good on some items, Wireless, LCD, memory. They will charge you shipping, but no tax in most states.

ChrisCramer247

Platinum Member
Dec 6, 2001
My biggest piss of was them charging my card for some sort of phone thing that i did not sign up for or want. They did this to A LOT of people and it was like $20 a pop. Also, their shipping is high, support is null, and prepared to be spammed and mail box stuffed with junk.

jodhas

Aug 5, 2001
In my opinion, they tend to sensationalize their prices and later hit you with a high shipping price and horrible customer service.

My answer to people who are satisfied with their couple of orders with TigerDirect is that....

Even Tigerdirect can't screw up on EVERY order... The problem arises when the screw ups are frequent and the fact that they cannot handle the problems well. Their warranty and satisfaction policies are sub-par of the industry and their CSR's are simply horrible. The direct contrast of Tigerdirect would be Newegg.com.

My horror story....

I've ordered a Wireless Access point from them. They sent a refurbished one. It was missing the installation CD. Now, I do not care much for the installation CD but I was upset that I payed for a new access point but instead got a used one. So I went and checked the product link and no where did it say that it was a refurbished one.

I complained to the CSR and the CSR gave me "things happen" explanation and was very nonchalant in his attitude. I was so upset and I told him that I wanted to cancel my order and just return the product.
He told me that I couldn't return it for the money back. He said that he'll only exchange it for a new one.

This is where the story gets worse...

He said that I would have to pay for my own shipping to ship the refurb access point. I argued with him that I should not have to assume any shipping charges because the whole problem occured because of their mistake.

After much arguing, I decided to hang up and try another CSR.

I called again and got a different CSR but with same results...

I called the third CSR and this time, after threatening to sue the bejesus out of them, the CSR manager said that they would send out a box for return.
I was moderately satisfied and I asked that they send out a NEW replacement ASAP. However the CSR put me on hold and after 10 minutes he came back and told me that they don't stock the NEW Access Points...

Now at this point, I was at a boiling point... The fact that they didn't stock the new access points and falsely advertised it as a new one was really upsetting. Even the price wasn't that low for common sense to kick in and remind me that it was a refurb product.

Anyhow. The CSR kept on apologizing for the error but kept on saying that there is nothing he can do. I asked for the manager but CSR would put me on hold and come back to tell me that the manager wasn't there.

I was so upset and so pissed, it was unbelievable... I couldn't stand the fact that I got scammed....

Anyhow, for the next 5 minutes, CSR kept on saying that I couldn't return my product but only exchange it for the same item.... OMG... Back to where we started from.....

Anyhow... I was so pissed I just hung up the phone.

I hooked up the Access Point and it worked fine so I just bit my mouth and did not call them back.

SemperFi

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jodhas
In my opinion, they tend to sensationalize their prices and later hit you with a high shipping price and horrible customer service. My answer to people who are satisfied with their couple of orders with TigerDirect is that.... Even Tigerdirect can't screw up on EVERY order... The problem arises when the screw ups are frequent and the fact that they cannot handle the problems well. Their warranty and satisfaction policies are sub-par of the industry and their CSR's are simply horrible. The direct contrast of Tigerdirect would be Newegg.com.

Can't disagree with that.
I have only ordered there a few times but I have had the fubar. It was back when the phone card scam happened. I bought some items form TD for a computer I was building for my sister in law. I recieved a box with partial shipment. I look at the packing slip and says rest is back ordered. About 2 days later I get an email that says these items were back ordered and will ship next week. The next day I get a post card from TD saying same thing as the email. The next day the box arrives with the back order.

Not a horror story but shoddy workmanship. I thought I heard they were getting better. I know that phone card really sent them for a loop. I was thinking someone from TD even responded in the thread that had all of the complaints either here or FW apollogizing for the charge. Apparently they didn't know they were going to charge the card. The thing that gets me is that phone card company didn't just pull a credit card number out of the air. TD had to give it too them. I am glad that I selected no on that offer.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Tiger Direct has been around for years, with the same business practices. Makes you wonder.

Spike

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2001
I have purchased from them in the past but have had no problems, though it was only a few small items. A good friend had a horrible time with getting them to refund the amount he paid for his monitor after UPS destroyed it on delivery. Other than that smooth sailing, but that was 2 years ago.

-spike

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Avoid them at all costs. Terrible customer service. They also spam the hell out of you, and whore out your name to everyone they can.

Jan 31, 2002
The only "horror stories" I've heard from them are about rebates being hideously slow to go through. Haven't had a problem with their products, shipping, or customer service.

- M4H