Tie fighter?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Originally posted by: beat mania
Originally posted by: Build it Myself
LOL, here I got it and now I find out you "NEED" a joystick to play it...i tried downloading an emulator for the joystick but I can't figure out how to get the thing to work, so now i'm just stuck with the cd :( go figure.

I played TIE Fighter with a mouse and kb years ago, and it was awesome without joystick.

...how? I don't even own a joystick anymore :( what do you need to do to play with just the mouse and kb?

Are you playing in DOS or what?
IIRC just load the mouse driver and off it went, didn't need a overly complicated config.sys ...

He's probably playing the windows 95 version it lacks mouse support (I don't have a clue why they would do something like that).

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
LOL, here I got it and now I find out you "NEED" a joystick to play it...i tried downloading an emulator for the joystick but I can't figure out how to get the thing to work, so now i'm just stuck with the cd :( go figure.

I played TIE Fighter with a mouse and kb years ago, and it was awesome without joystick.

...how? I don't even own a joystick anymore :( what do you need to do to play with just the mouse and kb?

IIRC just load the mouse driver and off it went, didn't need a overly complicated config.sys ...

He's probably playing the windows 95 version it lacks mouse support (I don't have a clue why they would do something like that).

yeah, no mouse support, i have no idea what gives because I don't have a joystick and I miss that game...not to mention i play everything with a mouse so i'm actually better with it. The emulators are so complicated to load for me and I don't even know what i'm doing with them...oh well, just gonna let it sit here till i get around to buying some junk joystick

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
I still have the jewel casing and cd for X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter... :) I consider it a collectors item at this point :)

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
Ummm, are we talking about the same game here? The Tie Fighter I played was back on my 486 (easy oc, just press turbo!) and came in a bundle of 7 (I think) floppy disks. My joy stick only had two buttons and I had to uninstall it because my hard drive wasn't big enough to have it and my two Wing Commander games on at the same time. The invisible Kilrathi ships do exist! Ach! They caught me with my kilt down! Ahhhh......good memories. Anyways, back to the OP, if it is the same game, I would pay $50 to be able to play it on Vista. I'd definetely play it again.

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu

Oh yeah I gave up the games after TIE Fighter because they are windows games and had no mouse control. I didn't know they made TIE Fighter into a Windows version though.

Get the DOS version, its better anyway.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
I had the Windows version that had an expansion pack that added a ton of missions, as well as the missile boat.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I think I may have this game rotting in a box upstairs. I'm pretty sure it came as part of a Lucas Arts games collection I bought for the sole purpose of getting Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith. I think it had some x-wing game in it too. I'll have to look when I get home.

brad310

Nov 14, 2007
/me fondly remembers 1994 looking at the medals cases.

I'd like to play it again, but I dont have that $100 joystick anymore :p

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: brad310
/me fondly remembers 1994 looking at the medals cases.

I'd like to play it again, but I dont have that $100 joystick anymore :p

just get a $20 gravis joystick.. those things worked great for tie fighter :D