Tie fighter?

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
Ok, there's been like 3 threads this week mentioning this game and I guess I'm just itching to get back to playing it...problem is I can't find anywhere to buy or download it without signing up to some stupid survey thing or what not...

Does anyone know where to get it or download it? I guess that pretty much sums it up.

thanks

John

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Illegally?
File sharing.

Legally?
Ebay or MAYBE Amazon, but I would expect to get reamed for a clean copy of the legit version.

Also, I'm not sure how well it works even in DOSBox.

Try X-Wing Alliance instead. Its Win98 Direct3D and works fine in Windows XP.

It has pretty much everything all the other games had and a kick-ass skirmish mode as well.

kilnsea

Jun 24, 2002
It should be cheap enough used around the 'net. gametz.com? amazon?
Also, I just found this fix from a google search. Now to drag out Tie Fighter and give it a try.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
Go with X-Wing Alliance. It's better than Tie Fighter and there's an upgrade team for it that's been remodeling all of the ships. Google xwa upgrade or xwau.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I just picked up a pack with Xwing and Tie fighter. It was a pack with those two and a demo of Xwing ?s Ti fighter. I don't remember the exact name off hane of the compilation, but it has full versions of both games with the expansions and the latest code version of them. Still not going to be the greatest thing graphically right now, but still some of the best star wars sim games.

The JC version can probably be had for under 10.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
I just picked up a pack with Xwing and Tie fighter. It was a pack with those two and a demo of Xwing ?s Ti fighter.
Are you talking about the X-Wing Collector Series? I'm thinking of getting the X-Wing Trilogy which comes with X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, and a demo of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter.

EDIT: Nevermind, on Amazon, it's close to $150! :Q
I think I'll take the X-Wing Collector Series and get X-Wing Alliance seperately.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
yeah I saw that trilogy one, but it's priced for the idiot geek.

The collector series usually goes on ebay for $10-30 depending on the condition of the game. I managed to snag a shrinkwrapped copy for about 25.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
Just prepare yourself and lower your graphical expectations. All of these games are extremely dated. If you want to play the best space flight sim ever made, try Freespace 2. It's graphics are dated too but slightly better and the story is fantastic.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
To paraphrase Risky Business- TIE Fighter, there is no substitute.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: lupi
yeah I saw that trilogy one, but it's priced for the idiot geek.

Yeah, I don't get why people pay that much for a game. I could get four recently release PC games for the price of that collection plus shipping. It's a game collection released in 2000 with games from 1994. Yeah, worth every penny. :roll:

The collector series usually goes on ebay for $10-30 depending on the condition of the game.

That's the route I'm taking. First, I have to beat my other PC games.

I managed to snag a shrinkwrapped copy for about 25.
I hate buying older games shrikwrapped. I just want to leave the game alone in hopes of it going up in value, but then I just tear the game out of the box (not really, I take it out carefully) and play it.

Jarska

Jan 30, 2008
Lucky enough to have a Collector's Edition in my shelf, with all those nice Missile Gunboats and whatnots, I have a question. How well does a Tie-fighter handle with a DualShock? My original joystick, faithfully serving me during the Galactic Civil War, with too many notches on it to count, gave out some time ago....

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
LOL, here I got it and now I find out you "NEED" a joystick to play it...i tried downloading an emulator for the joystick but I can't figure out how to get the thing to work, so now i'm just stuck with the cd :( go figure.

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Build it Myself
LOL, here I got it and now I find out you "NEED" a joystick to play it...i tried downloading an emulator for the joystick but I can't figure out how to get the thing to work, so now i'm just stuck with the cd :( go figure.

I played TIE Fighter with a mouse and kb years ago, and it was awesome without joystick.

Cougit

Jun 21, 2006
You can also pick up a new copy of Star Wars: X-Wing Collectors Series at Gogamer.com for
$29.

Build it Myself

Oct 24, 2007
Originally posted by: beat mania

I played TIE Fighter with a mouse and kb years ago, and it was awesome without joystick.

...how? I don't even own a joystick anymore :( what do you need to do to play with just the mouse and kb?

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000
Originally posted by: beat mania

...how? I don't even own a joystick anymore :( what do you need to do to play with just the mouse and kb?

Are you playing in DOS or what?
IIRC just load the mouse driver and off it went, didn't need a overly complicated config.sys ...

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I bought an old LucasArts Star Wars archive series off of Amazon. It had Dark Forces, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and a few others including Yoda Stories. It wasn't exactly cheap.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I don't have a copy of tie fighter, but I have the follow up (forget the name, something rebel alliance). It's basically the same game, but you get to fly the millenium falcon.