Ticketmaster tips / tricks?

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
So, whats the best way to work ticketmaster?
Call in and get tickets on the phone?
On the internet?
Show up at a ticketmaster center when they open?

What has your experience been?

Legendary

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2002
Getting World Series tickets I just started attempting to get in line for them over the internet about 5 minutes beforehand. Worked very well, just keep refreshing.

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
cheapest to buy it at the box office. if you have time, do this option
2nd best option is online. you can see the seats and they have a seating chart online. you can 'temporarily' reserve seats, no obligation. i think they give you like a minute or two to decide before you confirm. i was able to get 'better' seats doing this than calling in.

ticketmaster sucks. greedy bastards.

rival

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2001
i think its best to buy tickets in person, at a venue here they let you select your seat if they are available

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Best way is to NOT use ticketmaster for anything unless you absolutely have to. Any time you are seeing something at a venue near where you are, go to the venue itself and buy from their box office. That way you aren't using ticketmaster at all and you don't have to pay any of their stupid fees.

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Best way is to NOT use ticketmaster for anything unless you absolutely have to. Any time you are seeing something at a venue near where you are, go to the venue itself and buy from their box office. That way you aren't using ticketmaster at all and you don't have to pay any of their stupid fees.

While definitely good advice, here's my question -

Do you know if the box office holds certain seats that Ticketmaster can't sell? If my options are, to pay via Ticketmaster now, or wait a day or two to go to the box office, which is better? I'd like to think that Ticketmaster would get me the better seats, since I'm buying from them earlier than I could get to the box office, but I can't say I know this for sure.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I'm about to spend $140 for 2 tickets for 2 events (Weird Al in Baton Rouge and Iced Earth in New Orleans). If traffic wasn't so bad in BR, I'd go to the boxoffice. Instead, I'll get some vaseline and let ticketmaster have it's way with me.

:(

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
AFAIK, even if you go to the venue box office your ticket will still be issued through Ticketmaster. At least, that is the case I've noticed at the hockey venues I've gone to.

I've never understood Ticketmaster's "Convenience Charge" for online orders as anything other than a way to bend people over. It's convenient for Ticketmaster too, so why are they charging me for making their job easier and reducing their overhead?

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Balt
AFAIK, even if you go to the venue box office your ticket will still be issued through Ticketmaster. At least, that is the case I've noticed at the hockey venues I've gone to.

I've never understood Ticketmaster's "Convenience Charge" for online orders as anything other than a way to bend people over. It's convenient for Ticketmaster too, so why are they charging me for making their job easier and reducing their overhead?

I'm with you. I order tickets through the box office at a venue I frequently visit for concerts and choose will call as my ticket option. I still get TicketBastard charges applied.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just looked at some tickets yesterday for a concert. They have a new option now where they'll email you your tickets and you can print them out. And guess how much they charge for that.... $3.50!!!!!!! Three dollars and 50 f&cking cents to send me an email. Three dollars and fifty cents to get the equivalent of an online order receipt. Goddamn does that piss me off.

Nov 5, 2001
now they have an order processing fee on top of everything else. Bought tickets for Aussie Pink Floyd at HoB in Vegas over the weekend....4 tickets the fees were a total of $40.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Become a broker or a corporation. They sell them the good tickets before the public has a chance to get any, and they are promptly resold by the brokers for $700 each. (not an exaggeration depending on what show it's for)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I usually like to go in person but these days I'm too lazy to get up and drive. Basically, the trick is finding an outlet that isn't in an area where people are likely to want to see that show. For example. Want to see Tom Petty? Goto a Ticketmaster outlet in a black/latino area. There will be no line and you'll get good seats. I think the fees at outlets are less then those online.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Hand over your wallet and tell them to take whatever they want.

I hate ticketmaster worse than the RIAA

isasir

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Triumph
I just looked at some tickets yesterday for a concert. They have a new option now where they'll email you your tickets and you can print them out. And guess how much they charge for that.... $3.50!!!!!!! Three dollars and 50 f&cking cents to send me an email. Three dollars and fifty cents to get the equivalent of an online order receipt. Goddamn does that piss me off.

Yeah, f-that-sh*t, I have 'em just mail the damn tickets to me for free.

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
I'd feel a lot better if Ticketmaster didn't fancy up their fees. I'd be more comfortable with the following:

Ticket: $50.00
Profit: $12.50
=============
Total: $62.50

At least it's honest.

-geoff

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Originally posted by: RishiS
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior

While definitely good advice, here's my question -

Do you know if the box office holds certain seats that Ticketmaster can't sell? If my options are, to pay via Ticketmaster now, or wait a day or two to go to the box office, which is better? I'd like to think that Ticketmaster would get me the better seats, since I'm buying from them earlier than I could get to the box office, but I can't say I know this for sure.

Like other have said, I think it's all comes from the same pool. But because you go do it in person, you don't get socked with any of the TM charges at all. The box office and TM use the same system to issue the tickets, you just aren't actually going through TM to get it done which is where their rediculous fees come in. If you have any question, just call the box office and ask them how the seating works... I'm sure they can tell you.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ggavinmoss
I'd feel a lot better if Ticketmaster didn't fancy up their fees. I'd be more comfortable with the following:

Profit: $50.00
Ticket: $12.50
=============
Total: $62.50

At least it's honest.

-geoff

Fixed your post