Ticket, contest it?

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
So I just got a ticket for "Traversing a Flare Pattern". Is there anyway I can contest this if it looked like the cops were signaling me through? This just happened and it was dark. Is there a chance I can contest this?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Can you contest it? Sure, it's your right.

Will you win? Well..are you guilty?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
What exactly did you do ... drive through a construction zone against the directions of a Police officer?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Your word against his, you will win

.0000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the time

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
So there were flares, and like I slowed down and I looked at the officer and he pointed in the general direction of keep going straight. So I did, slowly through the flares, and then I passed some other guy and he looked like he was pointing to keep going straight.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ChAoTiCpInOy
So there were flares, and like I slowed down and I looked at the officer and he pointed in the general direction of keep going straight. So I did, slowly through the flares, and then I passed some other guy and he looked like he was pointing to keep going straight.

if the cop gave you the ticket, it's his word against yours, you will lose

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Fight it. The worst that can happen is you pay the fine anyway (maybe 6 months from now when they finally hear your case).

Best case is that you win, pay no fine, and get no insurance rate hikes.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Wow, any tips? I can upload all the pictures and stuff that I'm going to be using to contest it.

just bring it to court, if it's like any other court that I have been to, they just want your money and could really care less about what you did.

Usually if your record is mostly clean, it's pay court cost and that's it.

I went in for a speeding ticket and the guy in front of me had an expired tag, no insurance and an expired license. He gave the judge proof of everything and the judge just waived him through....$120 court costs....same as me.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Wow, any tips? I can upload all the pictures and stuff that I'm going to be using to contest it.

Yeah, do that. This should be good.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
For this kind of infraction, the only tips are come prepared (practice your argument beforehand), nicely dressed, use as many figures and illustrations as possible, and most importantly: act 100% confident of your position, even if you're not. In your case, it is your word versus the officers; the judge will hear both sides and judge in favor of the better argument.

Although I don't advocate lying, don't leave any holes or doubts in your argument. Say everything with 100% certainty, even if you're not 100% sure. For example, don't say "I think I saw the officer wave me through". Instead, say "the officer unmistakably waved me through".

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Fight it. The worst that can happen is you pay the fine anyway (maybe 6 months from now when they finally hear your case).

Best case is that you win, pay no fine, and get no insurance rate hikes.

I agree

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
For this kind of infraction, the only tips are come prepared (practice your argument beforehand), nicely dressed, use as many figures and illustrations as possible, and most importantly: act 100% confident of your position, even if you're not. In your case, it is your word versus the officers; the judge will hear both sides and judge in favor of the better argument.

Although I don't advocate lying, don't leave any holes or doubts in your argument. Say everything with 100% certainty, even if you're not 100% sure. For example, don't say "I think I saw the officer wave me through". Instead, say "the officer unmistakably waved me through".

You are advocating lying.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Nitemare

just bring it to court, if it's like any other court that I have been to, they just want your money and could really care less about what you did.

I went in for a speeding ticket and the guy in front of me had an expired tag, no insurance and an expired license. He gave the judge proof of everything and the judge just waived him through....$120 court costs....same as me.

WTF $120 Court cost? Even if I win?

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Hmm. I think you might rethink what happened. Maybe they were directing you to pull over - you had already committed the infraction when the first cop directed you to go straight, thru the flares.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Baloo
Hmm. I think you might rethink what happened. Maybe they were directing you to pull over - you had already committed the infraction when the first cop directed you to go straight, thru the flares.

Exactly, I committed the infraction after the first cop direect me to go through.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Nitemare

WTF $120 Court cost? Even if I win?

unless it gets dismissed, yet to really see a traffic infraction dismissed though. Might be more and might be less, but in NC it's $120

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: JLee
You're right.

Perjury is a Class B Felony in my state.

FWIW.
It's a case based on opinion and interpretation. Chances of a perjury conviction: 0%.

This isn't an episode of Law & Order.

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
You're right.

FWIW.
It's a case based on opinion and interpretation. Chances of a perjury conviction: 0%.

I'm not lying. Everything is based on what really happened.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

You're right.

FWIW.

Knowingly making false statements under oath is a bad idea. But hey, it's your integrity, not mine..

You're right.

FWIW.

Then take it to court and testify to what really happened. :thumbsup:

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006

You're right.

FWIW.

Knowingly making false statements under oath is a bad idea. But hey, it's your integrity, not mine..

You're right.

FWIW.

Then take it to court and testify to what really happened. :thumbsup:

I'm just making sure that you know that everything I have said is the truth and everything I will say is the truth. I wrote everything down when I got home so everything was still fresh in my head. I have repeated the same story 3 times to 3 different people.