Tiberium Canceled by EA for not meeting QUALITY standards?

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
Following word in July that EA's Command & Conquer-based squad shooter, Tiberium was getting shifted back to 2010, comes word that the game has been officially killed and some staff let go, the publisher confirmed with Kotaku today.

More interesting is the fact that Verdu calls for this decision to serve as a warning for future projects.

"The quality bar has been raised. Now we need to step up our focus on great design and execution, catching any problems early and correcting them quickly."

That's interesting, EA canceling a game for quality issues instead of releasing a buggy unpolished game for a quick buck. It seems EA is somewhat trying to turn over a new leaf?

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Originally posted by: thecrecarc

That's interesting, EA canceling a game for quality issues instead of releasing a buggy unpolished game for a quick buck. It seems EA is somewhat trying to turn over a new leaf?

Doubtful. I bet it's due to something else.

AlgaeEater

May 9, 2006
Red Alert 3 is coming out soon and with the issues with SPORE, they decided to pull the plug on Tiberium until the dust settles. Besides, RA3 is enough to hold the franchise together for now, so they're not in a rush to cash in on the C&C universe as it already is.

My two cents on the issue.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I wasn't particularly excited about that game, so for me it's not disappointing at all, and the C&C series should stick to the RTS genre, I thought that Renegade was awfully boring.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: mindcycle
Originally posted by: thecrecarc

Doubtful. I bet it's due to something else.

My thoughts exactly, EA dosent know the meaning of quality.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I'm guessing that the radiation in the tiberium was interfering with the DRM, rendering it inoperable.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I don't think this is surprising for EA. This is the difference between EA and, say, Blizzard. Blizzard might have pushed the game back and if it was poor quality they would have continued pushing it back and gotten the people some help. EA pulled the plug and fired people as a "warning message". That is a big difference in operating procedure.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: skace
I don't think this is surprising for EA. This is the difference between EA and, say, Blizzard. Blizzard might have pushed the game back and if it was poor quality they would have continued pushing it back and gotten the people some help. EA pulled the plug and fired people as a "warning message". That is a big difference in operating procedure.

Blizzard has pulled the plug on projects that were poorly conceived and would have likely been trash, after delaying them multiple times too. StarCraft Ghost, for example.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
You guys sure are bunch of pessimistic narcists, jeez. I rather have EA cancel a game, instead of releasing it before it's done, crappy as hell.

@skace, pushing it back only works for so long, before everything gets outdated. Looking at previous screenshots, the game allready didn't look very good, for 2010 standards ( which it had been pushed back to ) it would look like complete crap.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
You guys sure are bunch of pessimistic narcists, jeez. I rather have EA cancel a game, instead of releasing it before it's done, crappy as hell.

So do we, but given EA's track record on quality, they are going to take some flak. ;)

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Wow, must have been really crappy considering EA's bar for quality seems to be about ankle high.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
By "Quality" they mean the DRM implementation would not be up to snuff.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Blizzard has pulled the plug on projects that were poorly conceived and would have likely been trash, after delaying them multiple times too. StarCraft Ghost, for example.

Yes but they gave it A LOT of attempts, with different developers even. And I don't recall them firing anyone as a warning that quality must improve.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Modelworks
A game so bad that EA will not publish it ?
I can't conceive of such a thing.

But can you imagine being of the people let go from EA for lack of quality control and going to a job interview elsewhere?

Interviewer: "You were let go from EA? For lack of quality control? Bwaahaahhaaa! Next!"

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: skace

If I was a manager, I would want to cut my losses as well. If the sales weren't going to make up for the operational production costs, then it makes sense to me to cut them loose early.