TI-83+....Places with good prices ??

brunswickite

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
i would try for a ti-89

its alot better, if you are in engineering or take higher then calc 1 math classes

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: brunswickite
i would try for a ti-89

its alot better, if you are in engineering or take higher then calc 1 math classes
depends on your uses. i prefer 83 since i'm mostly stats.

-Case

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
i would try for a ti-89

Second and Thirded.

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
I bought mine for $35, also got a TI89 for $20. My friend gave them to me one day... im not terribly sure why they were so cheap. He assured me that they wern't stolen, so whatever :)

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
i would try for a ti-89

Hehe, I'm still in highschool. Next year I take Algebra 2. If the TI-89 does every thing the 83 does, then it is fine. I am just looking for a place with a good price.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: amdfanboy
i would try for a ti-89

Hehe, I'm still in highschool. Next year I take Algebra 2. If the TI-89 does every thing the 83 does, then it is fine. I am just looking for a place with a good price.
THe Ti-89 does pretty much everything that the 83 does, and for the things it doesn't (obscure things you prolly won't care about) there are easy workarounds. Plus the Ti-89 has man, many, many more functions that it can do than the 83.

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Marauder911
i would try for a ti-89

THe Ti-89 does pretty much everything that the 83 does, and for the things it doesn't (obscure things you prolly won't care about) there are easy workarounds. Plus the Ti-89 has man, many, many more functions that it can do than the 83.

I just need it for calculations with graphs.(i.e. finding intersection points and zero)

Edit : Prices ??

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
i would try for a ti-89

I just need it for calculations with graphs.(i.e. finding intersection points and zero)

The geek gadget lust here is too high, put your shades on or something. If that's all you need (what you wrote above), some flavor of TI-83 will suit you just fine. I got mine on fleaBay (need it to teach a class!). The extra features of the TI-89 seem like serious overkill for Algebra 2. If you ever get around to calculus, then, maybe, the TI-89 would really shine. FYI, I believe there's a replacement for the 83 line coming out, called the 84 (not surprising). Check out TI's site to read-up.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
If you are still in HS, TI-83+ is the way to go and AT FS/FT is the way to go to get one.:beer:

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
i would try for a ti-89

ti83 will be fine.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The best calculator IMO to buy is the 86. If you aspire to attend college, most of them disallow use of TI-89 or TI-92 on tests at the Calc level or higher, due to the fact that they can symbolically solve most derrivatives and integrals (that are solvable).

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Prices ??

Dunno if you know anyone around a college campus, but people are selling these things off cheap all the time. I had one that I sold a couple months ago, to a friend on campus.

Might be worthwhile to go to a college campus and put up an ad saying that you want one, and how much you'd be willing to pay. Maybe get a call on it.

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
the 89 is so sweet. comes in handy for a lot of things: for example it can factor polynomial functions for you :)

jacob0401

Platinum Member
Jul 31, 2001
Algebra 2...no need for TI-89, get a TI-83+...

There have been a few over on FS/FT for aorund $50.

As for calculus 1 you don't need a calculator if you really want to learn the material.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
I plan on pre-cal in 11th and calc as a senior.

In that case don't waste your time here: ask a calculus teacher at your school which calculator(s) they use / allow in the class. That should solve your problem faster than we can. Well, other than suggesting where / how to buy. I still recommend eBay. There are tons of decent dealers selling new, sealed TI's below retail (figuring in shipping, too).