Ti 4600/Radeon 8500 Got'em both. - turned soap opera

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Benchmarks shmenchmark.

Bought both, intended to return the one that didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling. Problem is, got the feeling from both cards. Looks like I'm keeping both cards and building yet another system. Wouldn't want to orphan a 8500 now would we!?

Uh oh, wife's calling.... says she wants to go looking for a swingset and sandbox for the kids... \Sketcher says "yes dear" and lets go of warm fuzzy feeling.

-Edit-
Please, read this whole thread BEFORE posting!!! The Soap Opera's a bit farther down... Thanks,

-Sketcher

:p

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
<--- has a willing foster rig for the 8500.

shall i send u a postage prepaid box? ;)

SmackdownHotel

Golden Member
May 19, 2000

<< Uh oh, wife's calling.... says she wants to go looking for a swingset and sandbox for the kids... \Sketcher says "yes dear" and lets go of warm fuzzy feeling.
>>

Hehe....doh. :)

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001

<< <--- has a willing foster rig for the 8500.

>>

Heh heh, Spanky

We'll first need to do a "quality of lifestyle" assessment and do a criminal and abuse background check. Essentially, have you fried any CPU, Mobo or GPU's lately!? :)

Thanks for the offer :D

-Sketcher

BMW330ci

Apr 4, 2001

<< Benchmarks shmenchmark.

Bought both, intended to return the one that didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling. Problem is, got the feeling from both cards. Looks like I'm keeping both cards and building yet another system. Wouldn't want to orphan a 8500 now would we!?

Uh oh, wife's calling.... says she wants to go looking for a swingset and sandbox for the kids... \Sketcher says "yes dear" and lets go of warm fuzzy feeling.

-Sketcher
>>

Did you finally choose which one to keep? I'm interested in knowing how both compared with each other. I'm thinking about going for the Radeon 8500 128MB.

Thanks-

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Well, finally decided to return both cards.

Ti 4600 was definitely the more powerful/capable card in gaming FPS at resolutions 1024x768 and up with all the game effects enabled. And I didn't personally note a substantial difference in image quality between the Ti and the 8500. But the Radeon 8500 didn't dissappoint, especially considering the difference in price!!

I already have 3 solid gaming rigs, 3 workstations and a server running, so I'm not lacking for a usable system... which led me to having returned both cards in anticipation of saving some $$ for a new build this fall. By then, motherboards, cpu's gpu's and RAM will all have refreshed and be worth arguing about anew.

So, looks like the kid gets a sanbox and the Wife gets to plant some flowers for Mother's day :)

Sorry for taking so long in getting back to the PM's... RL speed bumps.

-Sketcher

Instagib

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2002

<< <--- has a willing foster rig for the 8500.

>>

digim0rtal

Feb 19, 2001

<< Well, finally decided to return both cards.

Ti 4600 was definitely the more powerful/capable card in gaming FPS at resolutions 1024x768 and up with all the game effects enabled. And I didn't personally note a substantial difference in image quality between the Ti and the 8500. But the Radeon 8500 didn't dissappoint, especially considering the difference in price!!

I already have 3 solid gaming rigs, 3 workstations and a server running, so I'm not lacking for a usable system... which led me to having returned both cards in anticipation of saving some $$ for a new build this fall. By then, motherboards, cpu's gpu's and RAM will all have refreshed and be worth arguing about anew.

So, looks like the kid gets a sanbox and the Wife gets to plant some flowers for Mother's day :)

Sorry for taking so long in getting back to the PM's... RL speed bumps.

-Sketcher
>>

Morons like you are the reason vendors have to charge more for items. If you don't want something, don't order it.

TapTap

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2001

<<

<< >>

Morons like you are the reason vendors have to charge more for items. If you don't want something, don't order it.
>>

Geez, bad day at school?

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Morons like you are the reason vendors have to charge more for items. If you don't want something, don't order it. >>

Agreed. I am SO tired of jerks who buy items with no intention of keeping them. SOMEBODY has to pay for that crap - which usually means the rest of us.

*hoping your kids learn their ethics OUTSIDE the home*

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Morons like you are the reason vendors have to charge more for items. If you don't want something, don't order it. digim0rtal
Digim0rtal, ya know... "generally" (And I'll use that word loosely) I would tend to agree with your sentiment. In fact - I might even say you have a good intention there. But you preface your assertion with "Moron" and then make a generally incorrect statement regarding supply and demand economics that any first year corporate business acolyte would dismiss. Calling me a Moron without knowing me is simply not nice. I do not know you, nor have I followed any of your threads - so I do not think it would be nice or appropriate for me to state that you are a socially challenged, insecure, self-impressed prick of questionable integrity. I think you would agree that I have no right to call you that.

Regarding the beforementioned economics issue. "Vendors" charge appropriate for their cost of doing business - which in some circumstances involve "restocking fees", "value added" services and "Volume appreciation" cost leveraging. I don't think it reasonable to provide a lesson of business strategy here, but note: Businesses such as CompUSA and Circuit City impose a 15% re-stocking fee on returned non-defective computer equipment - and often re-stock that "opened item" at a discounted price. This fee covers their "Cost of doing business" without price gouging the consumer. Businesses similar in model to Best Buy, cost leverage their re-stocking overhead through sheer product volume and value added services. They keep prices low and count on volume and added service to supply the graft for their cost of doing business. The relatively "No Hassle" Return Policy from Best Buy is actually one of the major factors as to why Best Buy edges out Circuit City and CompUSA on similar product. They count on the fact that most people keep what they buy - and they can absorb the cost of doing business without penalizing the consumer.

If returning non-defective product were really that big of an issue for a Retailer like Best Buy - you'd not be allowed to return a product at the Customer Service counter when the clerk asks you the reason for your return and you say "uh, it didn't perform to my expectations" or "I purchased two to decide which brand provided the best performance" or even "I just decided I didn't need it". Believe me, if they cared as much about the returns as you felt it necessary to label me a moron for, Return policies would bear that out. They don't.

That said, Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is what Retailers base Retail Price "Range" on. Profit and margins regard what they buy it for, what they can get for it. As mentioned above, the cost of doing business is handled in different ways - but for the big retailers, none of those ways DIRECTLY impact the price of commodity product to the consumer in relation to re-stocking expense.

Certainly, it costs to take returns. However, there are more ways to levy the cost of doing business than simply raising retail prices. And obviously there are issues not addressed in the above scenarios. But please, is it too much to ask for some intelligence in posting? Come on now...

Agreed. I am SO tired of jerks who buy items with no intention of keeping them. SOMEBODY has to pay for that crap - which usually means the rest of us. *hoping your kids learn their ethics OUTSIDE the home* Rio Rebel
"SOMEBODY" is already referenced in the above statement, and it does not mean "the rest of us". Really guys, I would tend to blow the same horn as you are if I had to lie to return a product, but I don't. If I had to make something up to push the return through or something. otherwise reference first rebuttal. Oh, and you've never bought an "Open Box" item and bragged that you got it for % less and it works great!? Mabye you haven't, but most have.

Responding to the "kids learning ethics OUTSIDE of home" ignorance. I think, if you read again - you see that I intended to keep one card, then both, then finally returned both having thought that the new expenses would be better applied toward FAMILY than my own self indulgent computer hobby.

*hoping your kids learn their ethics OUTSIDE the home*
I'm in a bad mood today, so I'll go you one step further, "I hope you don't have kids, period."

some people just got too much money Soulkeeper
I downright agree. Some people have too much money. But most people who gripe about people who have money don't go a step further and differentiate whether or not someone has earned their money (sh*t, as if you have a right to say what someone else does with their hard earned money). And you say it with such a "Robin Hood-ish" flair - as though you'd be sharing the wealth with everyone else if you had it.

For the record, I mowed lawns as I kiddie, flipped burgers as a teen, launched Tomohawk Missiles in the Gulf War, performed assembly tasks as a manufacturing technician working my way up to Production Manager, changed career fields and started at square one in the IT Field, put myself through Night School and have now achieved a position as a Systems Administrator for a Medical Device company. The Dot.com crash has thinned out my field and compensation so there's no dissillusionment about lofty pay grades and bonuses - it's a job. I have a budget. As for the extra computers I have, most of them are Corporate items that have extended their lifecycle and or are for personal AND Career use - meaning I also perform Corporate work at home.

if I also repair PC's on the side to pay for my toys and irresponsible pleasures in life, then so be it - it's none of your Damn business to assume your sorry position in life gives you the right to bitch at me for achieving something that you could achieve too, with some hard work.

There, big sigh... My wife says this will fall on deaf ears. Ahh, that's alright though. It's almost theraputic.

Thanks for the inspiration! :D

-Sketcher

rbhawcroft

May 16, 2002
returned and resold item do push the price up, but nonmail order retailers dont just compete on price. Other than that he sounds like and egotistm, and I dont like egotists, they usually have it to make up for other deficiencies whether they see them or not.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
He may very well be a moron, but at least he doesn't tell everyone about it in his posts.

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: rbhawcroft
returned and resold item do push the price up, but nonmail order retailers dont just compete on price. Other than that he sounds like and egotistm, and I dont like egotists, they usually have it to make up for other deficiencies whether they see them or not.
And what are you making up for rbhawcroft?

He may very well be a moron, but at least he doesn't tell everyone about it in his posts.
LOL!! uh, thx Sunner ;) yeah, what he said. Interesting stuff about that SSSCA.

rbhawcroft

May 16, 2002
what do you mean by making up for? that i havent achieved what i want to in life, well i havent, but im only 22 and i havent failed at much

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
what do you mean by making up for? that i havent achieved what i want to in life, well i havent, but im only 22 and i havent failed at much
Don't worry rbhawcroft - there's plenty of time :) . Don't worry about it - s'a joke. Don't take offense at the same comment you've made about someone else, especially having little to no reason or explanation given for making your comment.

I will confess, I really have no idea what you meant in your post.
So, perhaps you'd explain a little better. Who are you referring to and why?

And just how does any of this soap opera drivel pertain to VIDEO!? I'm surprised that someone hasn't previously mentioned that this - wait, i've posted in the wrong forum before. Let me check.... Ah HAH!, this IS the VIDEO forum!!!!

-Sketcher

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I ain't mad at ya, Sketcher...hehehe.
If I buy something & change my mind for one reason or another and wish to return it, then I do. Why? Because I can. :D

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Tullphan
I ain't mad at ya, Sketcher...hehehe.
If I buy something & change my mind for one reason or another and wish to return it, then I do. Why? Because I can. :D
And that's precisely why I lick my balls.... er, I mean that's why my Dog licks his balls - because he can! :) I think you've summed it up quite well Tullphan. But a few of these blokes here insist that "because you can", you are inflating the price of retail product - which, is a broad sweeping inaccurate statement that warrants a spanking. And then they had to go and throw in some insults... what is this forum comming to? :D

Because he can... priceless.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sketcher,

People buying products with no intention of keeping them ARE a problem, and the fact that they return nondefective items DOES make the rest of us pay more. Since I am not willing to lie or deceive the retailers, I am operating at a disadvantage. I am buying items at the same price as the people who rip them off, so I am "playing on an unlevel playing field."

*HOWEVER*,

You clearly explained why you do not fall into that category. You bought an item from a place that uses "unconditional return" policy as one of their selling points.

*THEREFORE*,

I jumped the gun, I made assumptions, and I owe you an apology. You explained yourself very well, and I clearly was in the wrong.

merlocka

Platinum Member
Nov 24, 1999
Since I am not willing to lie or deceive the retailers, I am operating at a disadvantage. I am buying items at the same price as the people who rip them off, so I am "playing on an unlevel playing field."

If a store has a return policy, I highly recommend taking advantage of it. You could also reward the store by making actual purchases there, if their prices are low. I try not to buy anything which I cannot return for full refund, no questions asked.

I can't believe Sketch got so much flak for doing something so logical. I've purchased and returned about a dozen video cards from BestBuy. I bought and returned about 5 pairs of speakers (several mail-order) before I decided on one. If I didn't like any of them I would have returned them all. It's smart shopping.

Sketcher

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Rio Rebel
Sketcher,

People buying products with no intention of keeping them ARE a problem, and the fact that they return nondefective items DOES make the rest of us pay more. Since I am not willing to lie or deceive the retailers, I am operating at a disadvantage. I am buying items at the same price as the people who rip them off, so I am "playing on an unlevel playing field."

*HOWEVER*,

You clearly explained why you do not fall into that category. You bought an item from a place that uses "unconditional return" policy as one of their selling points.

*THEREFORE*,

I jumped the gun, I made assumptions, and I owe you an apology. You explained yourself very well, and I clearly was in the wrong.
Thank You Rio Rebel,

I agree with your follow up points (sans specific previous mentioned caveates) and I very much appreciate your consideration and the integrity with which you've followed through. (The *kids* remark still stings a little :) ) But it certainly inspired some conversation!! I apologize for my *kids* reply - but will leave it posted so as not to rip the thread into something unreadable.

Good Hunting Rio Rebel,

-Sketcher