TI 4200 - Too hot to touch, normal?

TJ69

Jun 7, 2001
I have a Visiontek 4200 128MB. The HSF on the GPU is slightly warm, but the back side of the GPU is very hot. I can barely hold my finger there for more than 2secs.

Is this normal for stock speeds just sitting at the desktop w/ no gaming?

whiteboyatcal

Jul 1, 2002
Seems a bit hot to me, the back of the gpu on my Chaintech G4 Ti4200 "GT21" SE is not that warm, and I have it overclocked to 315/620. But the temp doesn't really matter as long as the system is running stable. Do you have any reason to believe your card is overheating or are you just paranoid about the temp?

TJ69

Jun 7, 2001
Paranoid I guess...

Works great at stock speeds, but I was expecting a little more oc potential after reading Shark'y review on this card (maxed out coolbit sliders). I can get to 4400 speeds, but even then its a little unstable with an occasionaly lockup.

Thanks for the help!

Freshbrain

Dec 5, 2001
I think its a little too hot, if you can't keep your finger in the back of the GPU for more than that time the temp must be around or over 60C, and when 3d gaming tems usually climb onether 5 - 8C more. its not a big thing as long as it doesn't give you problems

If the GPU heatsink is warm you could just install a new fan and that will help to cool things down a little, for better temps and peace of mind it might be worth it.

TJ69

Jun 7, 2001
Thanks for the tips. I ended up ducktaping a couple cubes of ice to the back of the chip to keep it cool. Seems to be holding up, but if it burns up within 30 days, I'll return it to Best Buy.

Texun

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2001
My first GF card was the Gainward GF 2MX without a fan. It was the same way... couldn't touch the back of the card for more than about 4 seconds without leaving skin.

Decided to close the case and let it burn so I could warranty it. That was more than two years ago and it is still working just fine in my backup system. But I agree, it seems way too hot for comfort. My guess is that the mfgrs. skimped on the fan to save money, figuring the card would last until the user replaced it with the next latest and greatest thing.