thx for the input! - ftp server

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ftp servers arent processor dependant, they're i/o dependant. May i suggest a 300-500mhz cpu, scsi hard drives AND linux :)

Impact55

Platinum Member
Feb 16, 2000
DesignDawg

<< Why are you only asking peple from Oklahoma? >>

??? SOME people might take offense to that ;).

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
shabby
i'd love to use scsi...but it would take me way over my budget.
just for the amount of storage i need- 60 gigs plus

a 50gig scsi hd, by itself, would cost over $950
oh well :(

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
one last thing i'm worried about.
at 2500KB/s (every second, every day)...think i should maybe opt for some more ram?
stick in another 128megs and make the total 384 instead of 128?
or is the 256 sufficient?
or is 128 good enough?
thx

keep in mind this server will not be doing anything else except FTP.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
OK -

Some basic math here for those of you arguing SCSI for this type of server -

Let's say he has 300 GB a day - which translates to 300 x 1000 = 300,000 megabytes of transfer a day.

Assuming that you are not having spikes in activity and the server is equally busy throughout the course of the day (not likely but it suffices for now), you are transferring:

12,500 MB/hr
208 MB/min
3.5 MB/sec

That doesn't seem like so much traffic. Yet, these numbers are irrelevant since you will probably have 15x as much activity at some times in the day as in others.

At which point I fail to see why a RAID0 array would not work. If you have the money, RAID 0 + 1 on a modded promise controller would be the best; you would have the redundancy plus the striping.

If your server is of any importance, the mirroring is important, but striping may be able to help you out when you have massive request queues going.

And since these servers are not procsssor dependent, the software-based RAID on the Promise cards would be fine.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
beautiful, just beautiful :)

thx elemental, cleared that dern scsi stuff up :cool:

last few comments about ram...?

Daniel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Cool, a buddy of mine goes there, don't you think the school admins will catch on with that much daily traffic or has that already been considered?

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
May I ask what kind of line you have thats gonna be able to sustain 2.5 MB/Sec 24/7?
I mean 2.5, thats over 20 Mbit/sec, and thats not taking into account having to share the line with others.

Anyway, you have plenty of suggestions for hardware, so Ill just throw in a vote for either Linux, Solaris x86, or some BSD flavour.
Also, try Proftpd for the ftp server itself, IMO its way better than wu-ftp.

You would risk a Cornell education for a stupid warez server? Dude, get a clue!

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999

<< You would risk a Cornell education for a stupid warez server? Dude, get a clue! >>

must i even answer the question? before i even get the server together i will check to see what the ramifications would be.
i am just checking everything first to make sure i have everything straightened out, should i decide to go ahead with it.

i am not planning on having the server running at 2.5MB/s 24/7. i only said so as to gain some perspective on the hardware i would need (and more so because more people would reply that way :))

welp, thx for the help doods...