*THX EAKERS!!! :)* anyone studying at U of Toronto, Guelph or Waterloo? (all Canadian)

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
ive received offers from UoT and a scholarhip from UoG and most likely will receive an offer from UoW too...

just wondering if anyone here can help me make a decision... needless to say im swayed towards Guelph cuz of the scholarship but i like big city (toronto) but Waterloo has the best program...

waterloo and guelph are both tiny towns arent they? its there stuff to do there? ie bars/pubs, nightclubs, cybercafes, etc?

thx!

Wizkid

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Kitchener/Waterloo is not tiny ;)

I know people in all three schools and they all like it ;)

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
You never told us what program you're trying for! I'm going on the assumption you mean comp. sci. or engineering.

Eakers attends U of Guelph and has the busiest nightlife of anyone I know, but it IS a small town. Waterloo is definitely said to have the best engineering department and is great for computer science, but same deal as Guelph; it's small. This works for and against you - you'll need a car or a friend with a car to go pretty much anywhere decent, but housing costs if you're off campus will be a hell of a lot cheaper than in the city.

Toronto is a safe bet for a great nightlife and easy public transportation around but you'll get majorly creamed on rent if you stay anywhere near the city core. That is a given. Engineering is fantastic and so is computer science. But frankly if it's a rather large scholarship you've been offered, I'd be heading off to Guelph and making acquaintances with people with transportation. Good luck with your decision.

Bluga

Banned
Nov 28, 2000
Which program are you going into? (I had offer from Waterloo but i didn't go because i've never heard of it, note i'm an international student)

Comp Eng: U of T
Comp Sci : Waterloo

Nightlife : Toronto
Middle of nowhere: Waterloo ;)
Engineering: Forget about "night life"
Artsie: Have fun all day.

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
I wanted to go to Waterloo when I used to consider CS as my major.

I have a friend who goes to University of Toronto and he seems to be busy with his social life there. I haven't kept in touch with him.

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Guelph - population of over 100,000 people
Waterloo (and Kitchener, all one big city) - over 300,000 people (I believe).

Relf Lauren

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< Eakers attends U of Guelph and has the busiest nightlife of anyone I know >>

Western has the best nightlife.....by far :)

You haven't been anywhere until you have been to Western...

Relf Lauren

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000

<<

>>

You sound like you moved school often. :)

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

<<

<<

>>

You sound like you moved school often. :)
>>

<----- went to U of G. (Go Gryphons!)

Guelph is a great school, but if you are a city boy you probably won't like it. There are bars and pubs and nightclubs galore, but most are on a smaller scale than what you are likely used to.

Waterloo is a wonderful school for math, computers and engineering. The nightlife there is a little more intense, as the entire strip by the university is lined with bars and small clubs. There is only one BIG club within walking distance of the university, and thats Revolution which would be right up your alley if you grew up in a larger city. Also, a short bus ride (10 mins) away is downtown Kitchener which has a couple more large clubs.

Toronto is your typical large city.

If it was my choice, I would choose Guelph again. (especially if I had been offered a FAT scholarship. :))

Oh, and Western sucks. ;)

joohang

Lifer
Oct 22, 2000
Guelph seems to be good at offering nice scholarships. Is this true? :)

I considered going there, but I believe that they didn't offer the programs/courses I wanted.

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

<< Guelph seems to be good at offering nice scholarships. Is this true? :) >>

I didn't get one. :(

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Most of you already guessed it: I'm applying for Comp Sci...

I guess i totally stand corrected about my initial assumptions regarding the cities of kitchener/waterloo and guelph... :eek:

My scholarship for Guelph is of C$3,000 (or however u write canadian dollars), which is a good fraction of the C$14,000 or so id pay per year as an international student.

Waterloo has the best program by far for me but the others are all good too i hear.

Problem is i AM a big-city boy... live all my life in glorious 26million ppl (and growing ) sao paulo... i think even toronto will be a huge difference for me ...
rolleye.gif

guelph seems to be at the trade-off between good course and good city IMO... maybe eakers will back this up??

if i get offered a scholarship for waterloo i might consider them but thats unlikely as i think i totally flunked the descartes maths contest :eek:

Downside to toronto by 0sully is soo true now that i think about it and i would like to move off campus for 2nd or 3rd year...

<-- will hopefully be a guelph gryphon soon!! :)

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
oh, anybody know how bball @ guelph is doing? what are my chances at makin the squad? im a 5'11", 170 pound guard... ?

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
guelph is pretty great :)

its a smaller school but everyone is really really friendly, its a very laid back atmosphere. i definantly encourage you to come and visit our campus and have a walk around downtown guelph!

i love it.

*kat. <-- NOT an aggie :p

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

<< <-- will hopefully be a guelph gryphon soon!! >>

Excellent.

You too will learn to hate "the prep school down the road." (Western) :D

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
ps: i commute to guelph from cambridge so when i go out i often head to the k-dub, one of my favorite clubs is right by waterloo.

i dunno, ive lived in this area my whole life so if you have any questions just gimme a shout via icq or pm.

*kat. <-- all about clubbing :D

edit: for me the clubs are a million times better in kitchener/waterloo than guelph. but im biased cuz my friends throw club nights and events in the area. we are trying to get more stuff happening in guelph besides the palace and boo radelys but its alll about what you want really. if you liek bars and top40 clubs then guelph is alright.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999

<< guelph is pretty great :)

its a smaller school but everyone is really really friendly, its a very laid back atmosphere. i definantly encourage you to come and visit our campus and have a walk around downtown guelph!

i love it.

*kat. <-- NOT an aggie :p
>>

:) i took a campus tour last october and liked it a lot... didnt get much of a chance to see the city tho.... ill be sure to look for ya if i go there tho ;) :D

<<

<< <-- will hopefully be a guelph gryphon soon!! >>

Excellent.

You too will learn to hate "the prep school down the road." (Western) :D
>>

lol im sure this will make more sense once im there ;)

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
hmmm im not so much of a clubbing person but have been known to be smooth as hell when under the influence ;) :p :D

now bars.... thats what im talkin about! :p

a thing i did notice about canada tho is that the ppl are soo much nicer than in america... like it was amazing... im usually pretty shy but got to know a few ppl like during campus tours n stuff cuz everybody just talks loads and is really nice n stuff.... when i mentioned i was from brazil everybody like turned around and was like soo interested n stuff it was funny as hell :D i mean i felt special :D :D lol

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

<< lol im sure this will make more sense once im there >>

When it comes to sports (esp. american football), the rivalry between us and Western IS HUGE. You'll see. :D

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
my best friend goes to western hahahah

one time she came to my school and her exact words were "omg, people wear track pants to class?" "whats with all the hippies?" "is that girl wearing flipflops? its winter for godssake"

hahahaha

i cant imagine having to get all dressed up for class everyday.

*kat. <-- makes fun of the western bitches when she visits :D ;)

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
How fat of a scholarship are we talking here? For example, I received a scholarship to go to a pretty good engineering school as an undergrad, but my parents would have still had to come up with $30K a year so I could go there. I received about the same amount of money to go to a state school, and it only left my parents paying $3K-$4K a year.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the scholarship is really going to help the education expenses, then I believe going to UoG would be best. If not, then I would consider what school would be best for the area you want to go into. However, I will say that in areas of science and especially engineering, it is difficult for one school to be lots better than another school as long as both programs are established and accredited. I feel I got a better education going to the University of Kansas in chemical engineering than the current ChemE undergrads I TA at Notre Dame, and I got away with my entire undergrad costing what one year at ND costs.

Ryan

Bluga

Banned
Nov 28, 2000

since your are in comp sci,
bottom line:

go to Waterloo if you want 50K+ salary after graduation.
go to U of T if you want 45K+ salary after graduation.
go to Guelph if you want <someone insert number here> salary after graduation.

What you pay for is what you get :) (sorry this may sound a bit offensive)

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999

<< since your are in comp sci,
bottom line:

go to Waterloo if you want 50K+ salary after graduation.
go to U of T if you want 45K+ salary after graduation.
go to Guelph if you want <someone insert number here> salary after graduation.

What you pay for is what you get :) (sorry this may sound a bit offensive)
>>

erm somebody plz fill in the guelph number realistically?
rolleye.gif