thunder bird versus duron? whats the dirt?, and a funny mobo story

ArkAoss

Banned
Aug 31, 2000
im not sure im getting it right, is the tbird to the duron what the p II was to celeron and what the p III is to copermine? also i have a mobo with slot and socket, is the socket locked to 66 mhz, its a tyan mobo from early this year, where sockets ever limited/locked to 66mhz/ or celery only compatability?? also back to the tbird question, ive heard of 600mhz durons being run at 1123 mhz, (that was with dual phase cooling), but any ways thats nearly double the manufacturers spec, does the tbird have the same scalability, or more so? cause from some minor research, the prices seem the same for equivelently rated chips, , oh and dont yell mobo failure, till you've eliminated case defects, snicker, my bro has this case (i picked out for him thought it would be cool, but its a piece of junk) the clip that heald the power on button had broke so the main button wasnt working right, and he was gonna run out and buy a fancy new mobo

hungrypete

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2000
-durons have less cache
-the cores dont seem to like 1ghz+ (there are exceptions)
-tbirds can usually make it 100-250mhz over their rated speed, durons often 300mhz or so. Mine only made it 225mhz over.
-dont know jack about overclocking celerons, never owned one...
-just unhook that power switch and dangle it out the side....

PlunX

Golden Member
May 26, 2000
Seems as though, to me, a Duron is to a Thunderbird as a K6-2 is to a K6-3. The Duron doesn't perform as well as the Thunderbird, but it's still really good (and an excellent overclocker).

Techwhore

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2000
the duron is the exact same core as the t-bird clock for clock except with less l2 cache, 64 on duron as to 256 on t-bird. The cache is quite a difference in size but only allows for a 100mhz difference, I.E. - duron 900 = t-bird 800... of course this is application specific, sometimes durons are equivalent others they fall farther behind. The difference really come down to "bang for the buck" and the duron is defining that!