Three-Year-Old Boy Dies After Accidentally Shooting Self

MatSm

May 24, 2015
AUSTIN, Texas, July 6 (Reuters) - A 3-year-old Texas boy who shot himself at a Houston-area home over the weekend died on Monday from the wound, officials said.

The boy's grandparents were babysitting him and had put him down for a nap. They later heard a gunshot and found the boy had shot himself, police said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/06/3-year-old-shoots-himself_n_7739380.html
Too many parents bury their kids. Such a madness. I don't think that even the risk of punishment would have made these folks hide the gun better. The situation is so out of control. Very few cases of legally-owned guns successfully used in self-defense against criminals. But more and more innocent children die. Limiting accessibility to guns would be a good thing.

Last edited:

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
High estimates for children accidentally shooting themselves/others are around 100 per year. Low estimates for successful self-defense are well in excess of 100,000 per year.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
That's a horrific way for folks to learn to safely secure their LOADED? firearms when naturally curious tykes are roaming about the house in discovery mode.

I find it difficult to feel sympathy for the parents of the deceased if they were the ones leaving a loaded pistol around their house where a small child could get at it. And those grandparents? They should be charged with negligent homicide if the child was in their home and not the parent's.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
AUSTIN, Texas, July 6 (Reuters) - A 3-year-old Texas boy who shot himself at a Houston-area home over the weekend died on Monday from the wound, officials said.

The boy's grandparents were babysitting him and had put him down for a nap. They later heard a gunshot and found the boy had shot himself, police said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/06/3-year-old-shoots-himself_n_7739380.html
Too many parents bury their kids. Such a madness. I don't think that even the risk of punishment would have made these folks hide the gun better. The situation is so out of control. Very few cases of legally-owned guns successfully used in self-defense against criminals. But more and more innocent children die. Limiting accessibility to guns would be a good thing.

That isn't working out so well in Chicago....

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2438400

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Doesnt this happen every fuckin month? Does it not always make the top of the news?

WHEN THE HELL ARE PARENTS GOING TO LEARN!????/

:mad:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The situation is so out of control.

Based on what exactly?

Very few cases of legally-owned guns successfully used in self-defense against criminals. But more and more innocent children die.

Care to provide statistics backing up the "more and more innocent children die" statement?

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
This is why I own a gun safe and pistol safe. My wife, children, and grandchildren do not know the combination to open the gun safe nor have the fingerprints required to open the pistol safe. They have all been taught gun safety and that all weapons are to be considered loaded until proven otherwise.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
This is why I own a gun safe and pistol safe. My wife, children, and grandchildren do not know the combination to open the gun safe nor have the fingerprints required to open the pistol safe. They have all been taught gun safety and that all weapons are to be considered loaded until proven otherwise.
Your wife does not know the combination to your gun safe? How the hell is she supposed to defend herself from people breaking in if you are not home?

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
I don't think that even the risk of punishment would have made these folks hide the gun better.

Bullshit. The owner of that firearm should be up on charges. Manslaughter, and specific firearm charges that probably don't exist yet on the books

Some people will never learn, but trust me - When you jack up the penalties for being irresponsible and ENFORCE them, you will find people comply. I say that as a gun owner.

Analogy could be made for DUI... We don't hold people truly accountable... Therefore they continue to drive under the influence.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
It's already illegal for 3 year-olds to buy guns. This is just proof that gun control laws don't work.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
That isn't working out so well in Chicago....

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2438400

That's because people can go over to another state and get their firearms.

Look at places where an area or state or country has limited access or strict rules about how they handle their firearms which are bordered by similar areas...

that being said the ship has sailed on firearms in the U.S. I like to shoot I don't have anything against firearms in general except that too many people who are too stupid to own them do... and unfortunately there isn't a way to know who they are before an incident like this happens.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Bullshit. The owner of that firearm should be up on charges. Manslaughter, and specific firearm charges that probably don't exist yet on the books

Some people will never learn, but trust me - When you jack up the penalties for being irresponsible and ENFORCE them, you will find people comply. I say that as a gun owner.

Analogy could be made for DUI... We don't hold people truly accountable... Therefore they continue to drive under the influence.

I agree.

but bleeding heart 2A supporters choose to go easy on people whose negligence costs a human life because they must feel "so bad"... well maybe if they weren't complacent with their firearm another person wouldn't be dead and they wouldn't have a reason to feel "so bad"...

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Doesnt this happen every fuckin month? Does it not always make the top of the news?

WHEN THE HELL ARE PARENTS GOING TO LEARN!????/

When the local D.A.s in those areas grow some stones and prosecute people who cause the deaths of others with their negligent choices like leaving a firearm near a child or driving under the influence.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

What good will putting a parent whose child was killed in prison do?
"Oh i've learned my lesson alright, i won't let my next child near a gun ever again!"

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
"Oh i've learned my lesson alright, i won't let my next child near a gun ever again!"

Duh, we put people in prison to teach everyone else a lesson. That's why the death penalty has been a proven deterrent of horrific crimes!

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014

How about because people who leave a loaded gun within reach of a child who then kills themselves or another should be punished for their negligence with a deadly weapon? The death of their child or grandchild, etc, is not punishment for their negligence, it's the result of their negligence. It's not punishment if a child can access your weapon and blow their brains out with it.

It's a crime.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
If a 3 year old could even get to a loaded gun it's the parents fault period.