Three fiscal lies and myths

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Are you on drugs?
Are you aware that he's correct?
Deficits:
2009: 1400B
2010: 1170B
2011: 1299B
2012: 1100B
The overall trend is improving. It will take a while to get over the 2008 crash.

The budget would be a lot better if our leaders would stop wasting money on endless war. The current projections are up around 6 TRILLION dollars after factoring in interest on debt and long term benefits of war vets. link

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Deficits:
The overall trend is improving. It will take a while to get over the 2008 crash.

The budget would be a lot better if our leaders would stop wasting money on endless war. The current projections are up around 6 TRILLION dollars after factoring in interest on debt and long term benefits of war vets. link

Even better - this year it's projected to be around 900 billion. It will have dropped by over a third from it's peak......

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Republicans never worry about deficits when they cutting taxes, particularly at the top. And they're never shy about govt spending as corporate welfare, particularly when it's the military.

Deficits only matter when they look like a good opportunity to beat down the little people, the down & outers who depend on the govt. It's not like they can rely on big business, on the Job Creators, is it?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Facts say otherwise.

The economy is improving too and the deficit is shrinking. Democrats were right all along.

Do you mean they were right when they said Bush tax cuts were bad or dp you mean when they voted to make them permanent?

Do you mean they were right when they bashed Bush for his out of control spending or do you mean when they said they need all this spending?

Apr 27, 2012
Republicans never worry about deficits when they cutting taxes, particularly at the top. And they're never shy about govt spending as corporate welfare, particularly when it's the military.

Deficits only matter when they look like a good opportunity to beat down the little people, the down & outers who depend on the govt. It's not like they can rely on big business, on the Job Creators, is it?

So we should help these people who essentially want to steal tax dollars from others? Liberal ignorance:D

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So we should help these people who essentially want to steal tax dollars from others? Liberal ignorance:D

We should help those for whom there are no jobs & those who can't really work, yes, no doubt.

That might even be you someday, just like it helped Ayn Rand.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Well let's see they are American citizens. Should our government help it's citizens?

You do realize that ability to care for ones self falls on a bell curve. With on end being people who will make enough money to last lifetimes and on the other end people who'll die without help. Should we help them?

Or are you more of a "decrease the surplus population" kinda guy?

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Deficits:

Why did you leave out the fact that they are counting 40 years of interest to come up with that figure? Why not use 75 years and say it cost $15 Trillion?

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
Why did you leave out the fact that they are counting 40 years of interest to come up with that figure? Why not use 75 years and say it cost $15 Trillion?

Because deep down you know republicans will vote against the tax increase needed to pay for those benefits. That will cause expenses to accumulate 40 years of interest instead of something more reasonable.

Why is it so difficult to get republicans to pay for things? A guy like Romney decides he doesn't want to pay taxes so all of his money is held in the Cayman Islands. You get a bunch of republicans together in government and they collectively decide to make their kids pay the bill instead of owning up to responsibility. See: Bush's giant tax cuts while starting a decade long war and the way Reagan caused the largest spending increase ever without raising the taxes by an equal amount. The GOP slogan should be "weeee free money! make our kids pay for it!"

Apr 27, 2012
We should help those for whom there are no jobs & those who can't really work, yes, no doubt.

That might even be you someday, just like it helped Ayn Rand.

Agree but the difference is you support stealing from the taxpayers to pay for this ie. force. You want the government to steal from one group and give it to another. While I believe in private charity and helping the less fortunate voluntarily without the use of force against me.

I have a good job and make good money and I have enough to live a good life and take care of myself without the government welfare. And what does Ayn Rand have to do with this.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Because deep down you know republicans will vote against the tax increase needed to pay for those benefits. That will cause expenses to accumulate 40 years of interest instead of something more reasonable.

Why is it so difficult to get republicans to pay for things? A guy like Romney decides he doesn't want to pay taxes so all of his money is held in the Cayman Islands. You get a bunch of republicans together in government and they collectively decide to make their kids pay the bill instead of owning up to responsibility. See: Bush's giant tax cuts while starting a decade long war and the way Reagan caused the largest spending increase ever without raising the taxes by an equal amount. The GOP slogan should be "weeee free money! make our kids pay for it!"

There isn't enough money at the top to pay for those things and the current congress and president just signed the Bush tax cuts into law permanently. Tax cuts under Bush, Bad! Tax cuts under Obama, Good!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Agree but the difference is you support stealing from the taxpayers to pay for this ie. force. You want the government to steal from one group and give it to another. While I believe in private charity and helping the less fortunate voluntarily without the use of force against me.

I have a good job and make good money and I have enough to live a good life and take care of myself without the government welfare. And what does Ayn Rand have to do with this.

Looks like you're getting a visit Christmas Eve.