Three 23" LED 1080p in Eyefinity or Catleap?

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
If you had to choose a way to spend $350 would you get three 23" 1080p LED screens in Eyefinity config or a 27" Catleap at 1600p? Ignore the video card requirements, just looking to see what you guys feel gives a better gaming experience? I play everything out there. Currently using a 28" I-Inc at 1920x1200.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Well, the three monitors you get for $350 won't be as high quality and will undoubtedly be 60hz. I'll just leave it at that.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
You'd likely enjoy going to a higher rez single monitor. Fewer headaches and solid experience. And I LIKE Eyefinity...

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Assuming the other 3 x monitors @ 1080 are NOT IPS... I suggest going with the one monitor that is 2560x1440p with 16.7 million colors... plus you won't have to deal with the bezel boarders...

thetuna

Nov 14, 2010
I've got a catleap.
Btw it's 1440p, not 1600p, so you'd be going from 16:10 to 16:9.

I have two 24" 1080p screens on the sides of the catleap, and to be honest, I almost never use them.
I just throw my background programs on them and use the catleap for everything else.
The extra res is awesome, BUT it took a while to get used to for games.
It's hard to explain, everything just felt far away.

So, in conclusion, I would not trade the catleap for 3 1080p's; in fact, I'm saving up to buy two more.

One last thing to remember, of the six my friends an I have bought, two each had a dead pixel, and three have backlight bleed on a full black screen.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I see you probably meant 1440p instead of 1600p, but man if there is ever a catleap or equivalent overseas 1600p 30" I would be all over it!

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks for the input. I actually already have the three 23" monitors but they're sitting in their boxes. Here they are:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824176198

I picked them up for a steal at Staples about 8 months ago in anticipation of my basement being finished. I'm hanging drywall this weekend and should have the rooms carpeted and ready to go in about a month. The plan was to get a big desk and finally get a chance to use them but now I'm not so sure I want to go the Eyefinity route. I said $350 because I could probably Craigslist them for that amount.

So, go through the hassle of selling them to get a Catleap or take them out of their boxes and try out Eyefinity? I'm sure I could get $100 each if opened so it may be worth the experiment.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks for the input. I actually already have the three 23" monitors but they're sitting in their boxes.
So, go through the hassle of selling them to get a Catleap or take them out of their boxes and try out Eyefinity? I'm sure I could get $100 each if opened so it may be worth the experiment.

I don't think you'd lose a whole $50 just for opening the box. I mean on Craigslist, if I saw you post an ad with sealed boxes vs. just opened/closed like-new condition, I think I would expect to pay about the same amount and I would somewhat expect a person to have just re-glued the boxes shut and I'd want to open the box anyway before I accepted them to verify there weren't bricks inside the box.

So assuming that's true and opening the box is not going to hurt you financially, open them up and try eyefinity before you decide!

Like I posted in another thread, this article on TheVerge summarizes nicely the intangible benefits to eyefinity that people who haven't tried it just can't understand:

Triple-monitor gaming is simply amazing. A sensory revelation. You still spend the majority of the time with your eyes anchored on the middle screen, but the sense of atmosphere that comes from the two auxiliary displays is spine-tinglingly good. After a while, you may even learn to look at things with your own neck rather than the mouse. In truth, this is how any sort of visual simulation is supposed to operate. The tight horizontal field of view of a typical monitor, no matter how resplendent its color reproduction may be, is just unnatural — human beings have peripheral vision which has gone (mostly) neglected, and it’s only once you move to this sort of surround view that you’ll understand what you’ve been missing.

Excerpted from: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/3/3076197/geforce-gtx-680-radeon-hd-7970-graphics-card-upgrade

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Knowing you have the monitors and those look like decent quality, I'd say try Eyefinity. You'll probably know pretty quickly if it 'feels' right for you.

And ignore the bezel-criers. It's a good gaming experience.