Question Threadripper Pro 5000 announced

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Wondering if there will be new Motherboards available for these and will they need the new DDR5 or are they drop in compatible with current TRX40 Boards and DRR4?? I would love to get a new gen Threadripper and Mobo but I am broke now after purchasing a 5950x :p
Maybe In a couple of months if prices come down a little and I have a little more cash. All though I am also eyeing up an 7601 Epyc CPU as they are getting to be pretty cheap these days.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Wondering if there will be new Motherboards available for these and will they need the new DDR5 or are they drop in compatible with current TRX40 Boards and DRR4?? I would love to get a new gen Threadripper and Mobo but I am broke now after purchasing a 5950x :p
Maybe In a couple of months if prices come down a little and I have a little more cash. All though I am also eyeing up an 7601 Epyc CPU as they are getting to be pretty cheap these days.
TRX80 Only.

These are Rebranded 1P EPYC processors with full 8 Channel Memory

1646764444994.png

Last edited:

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
TRX80 Only.

These are Rebranded 1P EPYC processors with full 8 Channel Memory

View attachment 58346
Is it called WRX80 or TRX80??

Edit: good grief ,if they are the WRX80 boards that is out of my league price wise.. $850 is the starting point prices wise just for the motherboards alone and it goes way up into the thousands price tag. that is just insane. Sure wish I was rich LOL... but don't we all!!

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Is it called WRX80 or TRX80??

Edit: good grief ,if they are the WRX80 boards that is out of my league price wise.. $850 is the starting point prices wise just for the motherboards alone and it goes way up into the thousands price tag. that is just insane. Sure wish I was rich LOL... but don't we all!!

They are actually Surprisingly Cheap for the work they do.

1646765180126.png

These are rebranded EPYC processors for all intent and purposes

Last edited:

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
They are actually Surprisingly Cheap for the work they do.

Maybe in 2021, before AlderLake shipped pcie5 and ddr5. This is a pretty big commit to an aging tech stack if it's really going to be (more widely) released in 2H2022. It smacks of a release that had to be done because Lenovo paid for exclusivity. I'm sure there are people that have this kind of need and are willing to pay these kinds of bucks, and good for them, but it doesn't strike me as an intelligent investment to or for me. YMMV.
Clearly AMD has come to the conclusion (wrongly imho, bwtfdik *) that connectivity is not nearly as important as memory. But if memory is one of the important axes, it explains why only Pro is going to see a launch.
We'll have to see, but honestly they can afford to make mistakes given that their strategy is to mine the cloud providers for as much money as possible.

(*) I believe the icelake xeon D is interesting because of the sfp28 connectivity and integration, though the fairly significant increase in power consumption gives me pause. I suspect I'm going to sit on the sidelines for yet another year while everyone gets their ducks back in a row. :sigh:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Clearly AMD has come to the conclusion (wrongly imho, bwtfdik *) that connectivity is not nearly as important as memory. But if memory is one of the important axes, it explains why only Pro is going to see a launch.

I think Non Pro is dead because AMD doesn't have any wafers left for it. I suspect TR Pro is selling real well right now... the theoretical Intel competition right now is basically Skylake and Cascade.

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
It's probably even simpler, it has no sense whatsoever to have two parallel niche products as Threadripper and Threadripper Pro. That is, basically covering very similar, if not identical, market targets. So they kept the Pro line (which may have more sense as people looking for a workstation based on Threadripper would likely want also vendor support for it).. About the delay, it's clear that Threadripper is not a priority, and competition was nonexistant in that niche.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
When put in a good motherboard, will these TR pros be overclockable? I wouldn't mind having a nice motherboard with all those lanes and ports, with the IPC of the 5000 series and 16 cores. But I would worry it might not boost enough for games, and thus I would like to be able to OC the CPU, and memory too of course.

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
Doubt these would be overclockable, as they are meant to be professional products. But, real boost should be quite high nevertheless due to the insane TDP (280W) which is the same for all the SKUs. So lower end parts (16/24 cores) should be interesting on that regard.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
When put in a good motherboard, will these TR pros be overclockable? I wouldn't mind having a nice motherboard with all those lanes and ports, with the IPC of the 5000 series and 16 cores. But I would worry it might not boost enough for games, and thus I would like to be able to OC the CPU, and memory too of course.
All of them Will boost to 4.5 Ghz, they have a Hefty L3 Cache and should game as good as the best of them.

1646839821260.png

1646840369671.png

Last edited:

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Not the best idea to use server CPU for gaming. While boost clock might be OK, memory latency will lag behind due to 8 channel mem. It will also have typical drawbacks of server CPU like horrible idle and low load power efficiency.

These are for home VM labs, compiling massive projects, running massive I/O in multiple Optane cards etc.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Not the best idea to use server CPU for gaming. While boost clock might be OK, memory latency will lag behind due to 8 channel mem. It will also have typical drawbacks of server CPU like horrible idle and low load power efficiency.

These are for home VM labs, compiling massive projects, running massive I/O in multiple Optane cards etc.
You can Enable Game Mode.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Wouldn't multiple channel memory increase memory bandwidth overall? The 16 core with a 4.5GHz boost does sound kind of nice, but it would suck if it cannot be made to boost higher. 5GHz should be possible with a little tweaking, like on 5950X, at least I would think. Of course the biggest drawback to AM4 vs a TR platform is limited lanes and ports. At this point though, given what I already have, it would be better to wait for AM5 at least.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
Wouldn't multiple channel memory increase memory bandwidth overall? The 16 core with a 4.5GHz boost does sound kind of nice, but it would suck if it cannot be made to boost higher. 5GHz should be possible with a little tweaking, like on 5950X, at least I would think. Of course the biggest drawback to AM4 vs a TR platform is limited lanes and ports. At this point though, given what I already have, it would be better to wait for AM5 at least.

ThreadRipper Pro stand alone as the Most Powerful Workstation CPU you can buy Now. You really don't have any other Option. If you are looking at anything else(5950X, 12900K), then you really don't have the need for a True Workstation.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scineram

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
ThreadRipper Pro stand alone as the Most Powerful Workstation CPU you can buy Now. You really don't have any other Option. If you are looking at anything else(5950X, 12900K), then you really don't have the need for a True Workstation.
Like I said, I don't have the NEED perse, but I do have a problem with the limited IO mainstream motherboards. My three m.2 ports on board are used, and all my SATA ports are filled. I also have a 10Gb NIC in my x4. I have another X16, but it shares bandwidth with the slot my 3090 is in. So using it would bump them both down to x8. This is why I liked the HEDT systems back in the day, such as X58 and X99.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Like I said, I don't have the NEED perse, but I do have a problem with the limited IO mainstream motherboards. My three m.2 ports on board are used, and all my SATA ports are filled. I also have a 10Gb NIC in my x4. I have another X16, but it shares bandwidth with the slot my 3090 is in. So using it would bump them both down to x8. This is why I liked the HEDT systems back in the day, such as X58 and X99.
There is always the original threadripper, 1950x , 2970wx, 2990wx. The CPUs have gotten cheap, but motherboard are not as cheep.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
There is always the original threadripper, 1950x , 2970wx, 2990wx. The CPUs have gotten cheap, but motherboard are not as cheep.
True. I remember looking at those a bit back, but they are not suitable for gaming IMO, much less so than a 5950X or even a TR pro 5000 series. Especially the ones that used NUMA. I guess what I would really want, is a HEDT platform, like X99 was. But I guess those aren't really made anymore. X299 was never great in gaming, and is certainly obsolete overall now, arguably the same could be said for the early TRs...Modern Zen 2 or Zen 3 based TR/TR pros are decent for gaming and certainly excell at workstation tasks, but the pros are more "locked" and Zen 2 would be a step back. Now Z690 and X570 do have some great boards, and the CPUs they support would be great for my use case, but they are still limited by chipset design in terms of IO.

Hopefully, with AM5 and beyond and going to LGA, there will be room for more IO on high end boards. I guess my ideal board would be something like the X570 board I have now, but with more lanes and ports. Maybe AMD should bring back a HEDT board for AM5, same socket, but more choices.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
In What World is Alder Lake a competitive alternative to a ThreadRipper Pro?

I didn't mean to imply that. Sapphire Rapids-AP is currently rumored for late 2022 with the golden cove cores from Alder Lake. The fact that Intel actually shipped something that wasn't complete garbage was the wind up, because it means AMD might finally get some competition, but the point of the statement wasn't that Intel shipped Alder Lake, it was that we've got more advanced memory and connectivity solutions available to us, and Zen3 lacks those. It's going to make 2023 HEDT a rough place unless AMD accelerates some of their launches. I know you think every TR buyer has money sweating from their pores, but some of us like to plan upgrade cycles that run less frequently than yearly :> I need to think not just whether the box I'm buying is going to work better than the one I have, but whether I can expand its use over its lifespan.

FWIW, I agree, TR didn't ship because they're selling server parts. Genoa is arriving, AM5 is coming, I just find it interesting how HEDT is going to land. Or whether it is. TR used to be a halo product, unclear if or how AMD will reposition. From my perspective, SR-AP is likely to have many of the features I'm looking for to replace my current TR, but it carries a power draw that's likely too high (Intel is still recovering from underinvestment). Hence the suspicion of being sidelined for 2022+. Which is fine, I'm upgrading the network this year, it's enough to keep me engaged even if it isn't my preference.

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
It's going to make 2023 HEDT a rough place unless AMD accelerates some of their launches.
What makes you think a 56C/112T Sapphire Rapids based HEDT Workstation processor will be competitive with a Zen 3 based 64C/128T ThreadRipper Pro?

Any kind of Lead in performance that intel has on mainstream/Laptop CPUs is nullified at the HEDT/Xeon Level due to many reasons, I will list a few of them: Ring vs Mesh induced latencies, Larger Monolithic dies that need to be cooled and kept under TDP and Substantial Core Deficit at similar IPS

Do you want to know how a Sapphire Rapids HEDT Processor will fair against Ryzen Pro based on Zen3? Just look how Alder Lake 12400F compares to a 5800X Processor

Last edited: