Threadripper mATX motherboard in the near future ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
No I haven't yet decided. I am thinking to go for an x299 MSI mATX board pay 700$ more for the 16 core i9 and give the finger to AMD :)
Well, that'd be one way to do it... Seriously though, why is physical size SO important to you, especially that you're willing to spend $700 extra per PC over it? Didn't you say you were running a business and needed several of these systems or somesuch...? So that'd be $700 per rig, which would add up fast.

Seriously, the FD Define C is a smaller ATX case than some uATX cases. You can fit 1000W power supply, 5 drives (3x 2.5", 2x 3.5") plus whatever M.2 drives your mobo has slots for, 5 case fans, huge tower cooler and twin huge GPUs in this case. And it is REALLY small. Really, it is. You can't appreciate its tiny size in pictures, but because lack of traditional drive bays in the front it is remarkably tiny.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I wouldn't call the Define C tiny by any stretch of the imagination. It's about the same size as my NZXT S340 which I love but tiny is not a descriptor I'd use when talking about it.

cmvrgr

Mar 29, 2017
Well, that'd be one way to do it... Seriously though, why is physical size SO important to you, especially that you're willing to spend $700 extra per PC over it? Didn't you say you were running a business and needed several of these systems or somesuch...? So that'd be $700 per rig, which would add up fast.

Seriously, the FD Define C is a smaller ATX case than some uATX cases. You can fit 1000W power supply, 5 drives (3x 2.5", 2x 3.5") plus whatever M.2 drives your mobo has slots for, 5 case fans, huge tower cooler and twin huge GPUs in this case. And it is REALLY small. Really, it is. You can't appreciate its tiny size in pictures, but because lack of traditional drive bays in the front it is remarkably tiny.
I need to make smaller workstations for taking less space in office that is crucial for the design and esthetics and a mobile version with a chassis like this http://www.ssiportable.com/products/portable-solutions/spark-s5/

The mATX version is small to curry it in an airplane cabin the full ATX version can not comply with size and weight requirements for getting it in the cabin.

For the office workstations I show that a mini ITX x299 MB is available so can be fitted in even smaller case.

All need 1 GPU 32gb to 64gb of ram and as many core count available. Overclocking is not allowed by the company.

There are many enthusiasts that need is smaller size higher core count. That game is lost from AMD.