Threadripper BUILDERS thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I'm glad I held off upgrading my 6700k to Ryzen. Had I upgraded I would have skipped TR. The initial bugs put me off and with x299 being such a disaster, I was so happy to see AMD announce a HEDT platform. This will be my first AMD rig since the Athlon days.
Well, I learned a lot from Ryzen, being an early adopter. Thats why I feel so good about my choices now, its just a double Ryzen.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
Waiting for more info before I dive in. I'm likely to get a 1950X, but not unless there's a motherboard supporting ECC ram available. I'm getting into virtual machines a little more and I'm interested in trying unraid on Threadripper.

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015
Waiting for more info before I dive in. I'm likely to get a 1950X, but not unless there's a motherboard supporting ECC ram available. I'm getting into virtual machines a little more and I'm interested in trying unraid on Threadripper.
I believe all boards support unregistered/unbuffered ECC.

TahoeDust

Nov 29, 2011
I will be using it as my work and personal machine. My work requires I have a lot of simultaneous VMS running plus multiple instances of visual studio and other database programs so it will be nice to have some extra horsepower. Personal will be gaming and some streaming.
I will be very interested to see what your gaming performance will be like.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I will be very interested to see what your gaming performance will be like.
It looks like most of us here will not be using this for gaming as a primary use. I think it would be a waste of 32 threads Check the benchmarks when they are out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick and ajc9988

BradC

Apr 24, 2017
It's available for pre-order from my local retailer, but having been burned with Ryzen being unable to compile a large codebase without crashing, I'm not likely to plonk $2100 down for a sTR4 & Motherboard just to get another buggy cpu. C'mon AMD, fix the damn bug!

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
    • 35-186-180-Z01.jpg
You're not allowed to copy my build Mark... LOL
Quick questions :
Why the Artic Cooling Liquid freezer vs say a Corsair or other water cooling solutions?
Why not air?
Is this your first time going water cooling?
I'm horrified of a cable coming out and damaging components/data.. Do these things come with a warranty against damage beyond the cooler itself?
Why the 360 (3x120mm) vs going w/ the 240(2x120mm) Artic?

I had a different board choice going into this. However, I seem to have settled on the Taichi. Amazing feature set for the price and (unironically) the best -balance-.

I see you're gunning for 3600 and see that it's supported on the mobo. What allows this to be achieved/advertised on Threadripper but not on Epyc and ryzen ?

ub4ty

Jun 21, 2017
It's available for pre-order from my local retailer, but having been burned with Ryzen being unable to compile a large codebase without crashing, I'm not likely to plonk $2100 down for a sTR4 & Motherboard just to get another buggy cpu. C'mon AMD, fix the damn bug!

When is this occurring? I thought this was sorted w/ the latest AGESA bios update...

someEEguy

Jun 5, 2013
I believe all boards support unregistered/unbuffered ECC.
ASRock seems to always officially support ECC when they can (x399 Taichi and Fatal1ty Pro Gaming), gigabyte not so much...

X399 AORUS Gaming 7:
Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)

Rayniac

Oct 23, 2016
What do you guys plan on using 16 cores for, lol?
I could see serious streamers going for a Threadripper build. Leaves a lot of nice headroom for not just the game and video encoding but also all kinds of other background tasks one might need done simultaneously. Gaming and content creation can go hand in hand.

Reactions: ZGR and ajc9988

Markfw

May 16, 2002
You're not allowed to copy my build Mark... LOL
Quick questions :
Why the Artic Cooling Liquid freezer vs say a Corsair or other water cooling solutions?
Why not air?
Is this your first time going water cooling?
I'm horrified of a cable coming out and damaging components/data.. Do these things come with a warranty against damage beyond the cooler itself?
Why the 360 (3x120mm) vs going w/ the 240(2x120mm) Artic?

I had a different board choice going into this. However, I seem to have settled on the Taichi. Amazing feature set for the price and (unironically) the best -balance-.

I see you're gunning for 3600 and see that it's supported on the mobo. What allows this to be achieved/advertised on Threadripper but not on Epyc and ryzen ?
One the Artic freezer, I know there is a bracket that comes with the 1950x that is compatible with most AIO coolers, and Tomshardware specifically mentioned artic freezer, so I went with them. I choose the 360, as it seemed to provide the most cooling.

As for the memory, Ryzen, EYPC and TR all LOVE fast ram, the CCX's talk to each other at ram speed, so faster ram=faster system, regardless of OC level. 3200 was the fastest supported by the X370 Taichi, but X399 Taichi says 3600, so thats why that speed.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I have read that in certain circumstances that can happen, but I have 2 Ryzens, and after the latest bios update, the few and far between problems I have had, disappeared.

Reactions: Drazick and ajc9988

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
you could be right I don't know... there's a lot of dates flying around at the moment in regards to AMD products