Info Threadripper 3rd gen was already used for the Terminator Movie

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Looks like some had very early access to this new TeRminator 3 platform

Did they wait for release because of motherboard delays?

Reactions: lightmanek

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
So why was there not a T-800 and T-1000?

Proper special editions - equipped with miniguns - capable of Terminating any workload :cool:

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Not bad, but I don't know if the PR is effective as it could be because the movie was a bit of a flop at the box office and has generally been panned by reviewers and fans. I'm not sure if AMD would want to associate their brand with something else that most people view as disappointing. Sure it's not as bad as using Bill Cosby to market their product, but I don't know if they'd want to push this as hard as if the film was good.

• Haha
Reactions: CHADBOGA

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
That's proper seeding there.
Not bad, but I don't know if the PR is effective as it could be because the movie was a bit of a flop at the box office and has generally been panned by reviewers and fans. I'm not sure if AMD would want to associate their brand with something else that most people view as disappointing. Sure it's not as bad as using Bill Cosby to market their product, but I don't know if they'd want to push this as hard as if the film was good.
It's great because they seeded hardware in advanced to people who use the tools. Also its a great demo on the hardware. It might have flopped and while I liked it and don't agree with most of the reasons it flopped, its not a mound I am willing to die for. But honestly the one thing the movie did right was the cgi. For something with fantastical events, outside the new Terminator walking on walls like a spider, most of the physics was really well grounded and the effects pretty seemless with reality. Great demo for performance and cost there. It being a flop might help if the CGI artist have to move around and can sell their new companies on the help of a properly setup thread-ripper system is over similar Intel.

In the end anyone who cares about what this is selling isn't going to be like "Because it was a flop nothing related to it is worth talking about". Things like this good movie or not will survive whatever creative culling happens because the movie didn't do well.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
The marketing isn't really aimed at movie goers. It's aimed at CGI professionals, and the tools they use. So, hit or flop doesn't really matter.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
The marketing isn't really aimed at movie goers. It's aimed at CGI professionals, and the tools they use. So, hit or flop doesn't really matter.

I guess this isn't, but if this movie were a huge hit then AMD probably would try to do more mainstream marketing. Maybe a commercial talking about how the same technology in Ryzen (that you can buy for your own computer at home!) was used by the special effects artists that made the movie.

It reminds me of an old commercial for a Mac book that used Independence Day to push the product because one of the characters in the film used a Mac.

Reactions: Thunder 57

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
This thread about CGI reminded me about this article (and how far we've come with CPUs like the Threadripper):

https://www.theverge.com/2015/3/17/8229891/sxsw-2015-toy-story-pixar-making-of-20th-anniversary
the Pixar team initially thought they could render the film over 20 months using 53 processors. Each of the machines in the render farm was named after an animal, and when it completed a frame it would play the corresponding animal’s sound. The number of machines eventually grew to 300, but even that pales in comparison to the computing power Pixar wields today. Susman said that the company now has 23,000 processors at its disposal — enough to render the original Toy Story in real time.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I can't wait for the crazy kinds of technology we have in the future where someone's phone will be able to render Toy Story in real time.

You may might laugh at that, but even the SoCs we have in phones right now are more powerful than some super computers if you go back far enough.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
In 2002, I turn in a roth IRA worth $5000 to get a dual Opteron system. It was 2, 2.2 ghz single cores, and I think 2 or maybe 4 gig of memory, a 1 one gig SCSI hard drive and a Lian-Li case.

Fast forward to 2019. I am putting together a 64 core, 128 thread EPYC system with 256 gig of ECC and a one TB NVME for $3600.

So for 2/3rds the price (not even counting for inflation) I have 128 times the memory, at least 32 times the cores (but like 128 times the horsepower) and 1000 times the hard drive space, not to mention its like 100 times faster.

Times change tooooo fast.