Question Threadripper 1950x problem

videoeditor123

Dec 1, 2020
My threadripper 1950x freezes whener its doing heavy workloads in creator mode. when i set it to game mode its all okay. I want to use the creator mode because the performance difference in premiere is huge.

Has anybody experienced this before? how to solve it?

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
Maybe something with the RAM? If I remember correctly, game mode disables half the cores and half the memory controller, so half the RAM (the sticks connected to the second half). Someone can correct me on that.

videoeditor123

Dec 1, 2020
Might be the issue, i have a total of 64gb ram. but when i pull out 2 of the sticks. so im left with 32. there is no problems at all.
I have bought 2 x 2x16 kits. same brand , same speed and everything.

I read that you should buy kits with 4 or more. But in the manual it even says that it is okay to mix Ram speeds. so i cant be that sensetiv to ram sticks?

Any way to fix the problem? by tweaking in bios? or in ryzen master?

videoeditor123

Dec 1, 2020
i just bought a new kit with ram. have been running with 32gb past 2 years.
I thought it maybe occured since the ram sticks i already had was 2x16 2666 (1.2v) and the newer ones was 2x16 3200 (1.35v) then i bought another set of the 2x16 3200 the day after. but the issue is still there.

I can run smoothly with all sticks placed inside - 96gb in game mode. That is all the above mixed. But as soon as i switch to creator mode and do some heavy lifting. the computer freezes. ( also freezes with just the 64gb of the same type inside )

in bios it is set to standard.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Have you tried running the full 64 GB at 2133 MHz? The more slots/ranks you have the harder it is for the memory controller to run at higher frequencies and the first gen Zen memory controller was not particularly strong. I would try running at 2133 MHz and see if you get the same result. If the freezes go away, maybe try 2667 MHz and see what happens.

Reactions: videoeditor123

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Sounds like ram? I started out with two different speed ram from same vendor (Gskill) on was older and like rated at 2600 and the other was newer and fast at 3200 cl14. Could not run it above 2400 or so without errors. Bought another 3200 g skill cl14 set and have been running 3200 at cl14 tight timings for a few years now.

I would start at slowest ram stock timings and speed and check for errors. Even that may not work as most don't recommend mixing any kind of ram brand, speed or timings, especially at 4 channel from what I have read on amd first gen threadripper. After initial ram brand blending and speeds, I am still running my 1950x 24/7 after several years and same brand ram and tight 3200 timings. But only max 32gb in all instances.

Good luck.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
Take your CPU out and check visually socket for bent pins. Reinstall your processor if all is looking good, make sure you are following the numbers on the bracket when fastening screws. Threadripper can be unstable if not secured properly.
Also, what speed are you running your RAM at with new sticks?

I had 1920X before and once had stability issues at random, reseated CPU and that resolved my problem ;)

ajc9988

Apr 1, 2015
Seems like lowering the speed of the memory in bios fixes the problem. doing some testing now.
Ok, first do not run 96GB, please. So the 64GB at 3200 sets.

Second, mixing and matching speed can effect timings, as each set may need different amounts to work as well as different voltages.

Third, if stable at lower MHz, you may just have a weaker memory controller on one of the dies. You also could just have a situation of incorrect timings for Ryzen gen 1 in the XMP settings, so it trips up once in quad channel.

How long do you have that you can take the machine out of commission? What knowledge do you have for ram overclocking? How familiar are you with ram stability testing?

It could even be the SOC voltage set wrong (sometimes lower is better; like if I set over 1.05V on LLC level 2 SOC, I lose stability on my system with my 32GB at 3466 CL14).

So it really is a situation of needing to know timelines, familiarity with the process, etc.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Was this ever resolved OP?

When I setup my 1900X system (4 channel x 8GB), I set RAM speed and timings manually and, I have never ever used auto memory profiles on any AMD Zen1 / Zen2 / Zen3 products, it never passes stress testing for me.