Thread: How much can I overclock an AMD Athlon II Regor 3.0Ghz CPU?

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
The processor I currently have is:

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor

I'm looking to overclock this thing some for gaming purposes, but at the same time I have a concern for burning it out as I can't afford a new CPU at this time. I'm currently using the heatsink that came with the CPU. I do have another one but from what I had read when I purchased the CPU at the time, their heatsinks were getting great feedback and worked even better than some purchased from other companies. To save myself the trouble, I just went with the stock heatsink though I do have another I used to use. Don't have the name off the top of my head but I can get it later if people feel it would be a wise idea to go with something better for overclocking.

Anyway, don't wanna push the CPU too hard, just within a safe range where I will get a performance increase but not at the expense of risking damage to the CPU. Any suggestions from individuals with experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Kevmanw430

Mar 11, 2011
One thing. Why not just unlock the extra cores on it? This would do much more than OC'ing. However, you need a board that allows it.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Without knowing what motherboard you have, or what temp / voltages your current setup produces, then this is more of a guessing game than anything else.

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
Without knowing what motherboard you have, or what temp / voltages your current setup produces, then this is more of a guessing game than anything else.

Sorry, mobo specs along with everything else:

motherboard - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD
cpu - AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core
ram - Crucial 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
video card - EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
hard drive - Western Digital Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM

ascendant

Jul 22, 2011
Alright, just to update...

With asus, I utilized the auto-overclocking feature in its bios. I set it for a 2% overclock for my CPU considering I can't see a 2% overclock which is the bare minimum for this feature to be any concern at all.

As far as monitoring my CPU temp, the program I have is CPUID, but I'm a bit confused as to what numbers are what? There is a tempin0 (currently at 41c), tempin1 (36c), tempin2 (128c) under my CPU information.

Last, my previous heatsink that I used prior to getting this new CPU a while back was: Rosewill RCX-Z940-SL 92mm 2 ball CPU cooler (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200023). I'm thinking that this one would probably be better than the stock but wanted to throw it out there and get feedback to be sure before I pull my comp apart.

Last edited: