Thread for trading steam summer sale cards

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
anyone know if you can idle multiple games at once to get more card drops?

I don't know if it results in a faster rate of cards/time, but multiple games open will allow for drops from all of the games. I do that whenever I'm not at my computer.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I have extras of

Swarm GSB
Mantis Cruiser FTL
Bismark Civ5
Scout TF2

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
I didn't think Steam would allow two games to run at once, but I just tried it and it worked.

I didn't leave it going long enough to see if they both dropped cards but I don't see why they wouldn't.

So I just tried this, and it does work, but the catch is card drops are at about the same rate or maybe even less, and spread over how many games you have running.

Right now I have 4 games open, and I have only gotten 1 drop from each game except for one. If i had just one open, i probably would have 3 or 4 drops just for that individual game.

I like this whole trading card business, but i just hate the ways you have to acquire them. I dont see why they didnt just make acheivements into cards instead of play time, this would actually encourage people to PLAY THE GAME instead of just doing what im doing. FYI I actually played all the games Ive done it with so far, but im sure ill continue to do it with games I havent played yet, if only just to make a few bucks.

If they wanna reward playtime and give random drops, fine then reward those with common cards mostly. Give better cards out for actually doing something in the game. Ex: beating civ on deity gives you a pretty rare card. makes way more sense.

WildW

Oct 3, 2008
evilpicard.com
It looks like when you collect a set of cards you can make them into a badge (which is just a shiny pebble for your "profile"), though you do get some worthless looking backgrounds and emoticons for Steam. I say worthless looking because the market prices for them appear to be much lower than the cards used to create them.

Getting the badges does give you XP to increase your "Steam level", which unlocks a few astonishing things like being able to have more stuff on your profile, and being allowed to have more friends. (Astonishing because, wait, they limit how many friends you're allowed?!?)

So, I have just been selling my cards as I get them, because the value is just dropping and dropping. Potentially there is the opportunity for some kind of stock market style trading on these, but we seem to be firmly in a bear market right now. I have enough in my wallet now to buy a new game or two.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
So.... do you get anything good for crafting these badges?

I've just been selling cards for cash...

For every badge you get :

- an icon for that game to use in chat, everything from a pill to a turret
- a background image to use on your profile from that game
- summer sale card (previously was coupons, might be so again after sale)

Also, at certain Steam levels, you get :

- added things for your profile, like being able to have a screenshot showcase
- expanded friend list
- % increase to the chance you get booster packs

Turns out I was right; the summer sale cards are now down to $.15-.17. Sold most of mine from $.40-$.80 as soon as I got them. Was able to make a lot of badges, by buying up cheap ($.12-$.15) cards. I'm 4 exp from lvl 19, and will easily hit lvl 20 (and the 40% booster pack increase) when I make my summer sale badges.

Another tip - after the sale, unless you can get a level that gives a booster pack increase, save all your cards until the Winter sale. Day one winter sale, create all your badges, get (probably) winter sale cards, and sell them on day 1 for $.80 each - profit.

Plimogz

Oct 3, 2009
I'm still trying to craft my Summer Getaway badge here...

Have: Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Torchlight & Skyrim

Need: Tomb Raider, Kerbal Space Program, Reus, Dead Island & Prison Architect.

PM me so we can trade on Steam.

Last edited:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Looking for Civ 5 cards. Have some Reus and Defender's Quest to trade.

Oct 20, 2005
XxeYS8i.jpg

Looking to trade some extra summer cards I have for ones I don't.

Extras I have:
1x - Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
2x - Torchlight II

Need:
Bioshock
Kerbal Space Program
Skyrim
TombRaider

Send me a PM if you want to trade!

snoturtle

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2001
Looking to trade for some of the ones I need

Have
Dead Island Riptide
Reus

Need
Football Manager 2013

Send me a pm if you want to trade

Last edited:

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Have a bunch of these in my inventory as well but really not sure what to do with them.

How many cards do you need to craft a badge? Do you need all 8 or will just 5 do?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Okay, guys, all I need is Elizabeth to craft my Civ 5 badge. Someone's got to have her just sitting in their inventory...lonely...waiting to be reunited with her friends...send her my way so I can help dear Elizabeth.

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
I just read that whole page and still don't get it. What's the best thing I get from these cards that I make into badges? A cool gun in borderlands 2? Or extra damage? Or are they just baubles for your friends to look at?

People who want all the the little badges, emoticons and profile glitz can buy/sell the cards to complete their sets and Valve gets a cut of the money (fees). As far as I can tell it's basically a micro transaction based revenue stream for Valve which is why I think they've gone to such great lengths to create and promote this convoluted trading card silliness. I guess they see more money in stuff like this and TF2 hats then in developing games anymore.