"Thousands in NJ cheered on 9/11 when the Towers came down"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Carson was earlier backing up Trump on this, he claims to have seen it on tv as well.

http://therightscoop.com/ben-carson-backs-trump-says-he-saw-muslims-cheering-911-tower-collapse-too/

Now he's not...

Rival Ben Carson got in on the conversation, telling reporters after a rally in Nevada on Monday that he saw it, too. “I think that was an inappropriate response," he said. "I don’t know if on the basis of that you could say all Muslims are bad people — I really think that would be a stretch.” Carson added that he saw “the film of it.” Asked what film he was referring to, Carson said "the newsreels."

His campaign later apologized, saying Carson was thinking of footage from the Middle East, not New Jersey, according to ABC News. "He doesn't stand behind his comments to New Jersey and American Muslims," said campaign spokesman Doug Watts. "He was rather thinking of the protests going on in the Middle East and some of the demonstrations that were going on in celebration of the towers going down."

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
In fairness to Trump (not a way I typically start a sentence), I distinctly remember reports on 9/11 of this happening in Jersey City or one of the other Jersey towns facing lower Manhattan. I certainly never saw any footage of it, though, and I have no idea whether the reporting on this happening was even accurate.
There were tons of reports. Much like there are tons of Bigfoot sightings and alien abductions. There was a persistent story about a local deli until the owners pointed out that they are Lebonese Christian. These are the rumors that get people murdered.

Won't make any difference for Trump because his popularity is 20% position and 80% not being part of the problem.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
He's probably senile. Reagan was senile while president and people still consider him a great president.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
There were tons of reports. Much like there are tons of Bigfoot sightings and alien abductions.

Apples to asteroids.

The Twin Towers fell dude, and at least a bunch of extremists were cheering, which makes what Trump said plausible, at least, though I don't believe him myself.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Apples to asteroids.

The Twin Towers fell dude, and at least a bunch of extremists were cheering, which makes what Trump said plausible, at least, though I don't believe him myself.

Yes, people in some parts of the world were cheering, but there is no evidence that they were cheering in Jersey City. More importantly, Trump claims he saw this on the news, which makes it a pretty easily falsifiable claim. If he saw it on the news, that means footage of it exists somewhere or a story of it exists somewhere. Lots of people have looked, and there's nothing.

The best he's been able to do is a news snippet that says a few people were detained and questioned for allegedly celebrating on their rooftops, a situation that bears absolutely no resemblance to what he described.

To me the most plausible answer is that in his head he mixed up scenes with protests overseas with urban legends that were circulating at the time about Jersey City. We all do that sometimes and there's no shame in it. His shtick relies on never admitting fault though, so he feels like he has to keep digging in on this I imagine.

gururu2

Oct 14, 2007
There are a lot of Americans that believed it was a U.S/Israel conspiracy (a la the Putin initiated Chechnyan war) to ignite the war in Iraq/Middle East. Those anti-gov't sentiments are worse than cheering for the destruction.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Now he's claiming he saw people jumping from the towers from his apartment, despite living about four miles away.

That's some amazing vision he has there!!

He probably watches a shirtless Putin on horseback from there as well. Because Putin is a swell guy and a strong leader.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Apples to asteroids.

It's no secret that "some groups" somewhere were cheering on 9/11. Most people know that.

It's how this and now in particular the 9/11 jumpers are used and twisted by Trump in a more than obvious, primitive way to fuel his racism/fascist politics.

But it's correct, it's a total waste of time when the smarter people make efforts to either debunk or confirm those tales - because the LAST people who are interested in the truth are Trump supporters. (Same waste of time to "argue" with some of those nutcases whether Obama is a Muslim, birth certificate etc..etc... )

Few of those people are rational, they are emotion driven, the entire conservative "voter catching process" is based around emotional topics. When those topics stir emotions, the goal is already achieved. Whether the story is "true" doesn't matter.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If anything, I bet a whole bunch of neocons were cheering as the towers came down.

As well, with a population of 300+ million, I'm sure thousands of others were cheering in the privacy of their own homes for all kinds of different reasons.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Yes, people in some parts of the world were cheering, but there is no evidence that they were cheering in Jersey City. More importantly, Trump claims he saw this on the news, which makes it a pretty easily falsifiable claim. If he saw it on the news, that means footage of it exists somewhere or a story of it exists somewhere. Lots of people have looked, and there's nothing.

The best he's been able to do is a news snippet that says a few people were detained and questioned for allegedly celebrating on their rooftops, a situation that bears absolutely no resemblance to what he described.

To me the most plausible answer is that in his head he mixed up scenes with protests overseas with urban legends that were circulating at the time about Jersey City. We all do that sometimes and there's no shame in it. His shtick relies on never admitting fault though, so he feels like he has to keep digging in on this I imagine.

To anyone that was in or near NYC when the attack occured, a large celebration in Jersey City is highly implausible. The entire area was near panic because no one had any idea if the attacks were over yet. Remember that after the towers were hit, there were the reports of the Pentagon and and the plane in Pennsylvania. There were Air Guard F-16s patrolling the skies, and a huge smoke plume rising from ground zero that lasted for days (weeks?)

A huge portion of any neighborhood in JC would have known someone in or around lower manhatten, and a celebration would have sparked an angry backlash.

My problem is less with the lie itself than with the narritive Trump is trying to push.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I've seen a few of these videos myself. But of course they dont matter and you should vote for hillary. Because facts obviously dont matter. I cant wait for one of these idiots to say "It wasnt thousands of people it was only 700" bla bla bla.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I've seen a few of these videos myself. But of course they dont matter and you should vote for hillary. Because facts obviously dont matter. I cant wait for one of these idiots to say "It wasnt thousands of people it was only 700" bla bla bla.

Those videos are from Palestine.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
And yet, through all of the nakedly obvious tall tales that Trump has been spinning 'round his fireplace story telling circle, his poll numbers are pulling away from the rest of the herd of pachyderms in the running.

He is, above all, and quite obviously so, a messenger, a harbinger and THE true symbol of what the base of the Repub Party has evolved into.

Let that sink in and fully realize the consequences thereof.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

So you saw "a few" videos of thousands of people cheering in NJ on 9/11, even though apparently no news outlet, archivist, or individual can locate even one? Are you magic?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Gawker is offering $5,000 currently for one of those videos, so you're in for a nice payday.

After you get your cash, be sure to post the links here too. When can we expect them?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I love how he says its a fact because he saw it. This is literally doublethink and Orwellian revisionist history.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Why do you hate America?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
fear is the easiest way to control man. sm625 literally think death is waiting for him and its all the liberals fault.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Trump adviser says it doesn't matter whether it was "thousands, many thousands or even just one".

This should tell you all you need to know. For those folks, lies and fantasies are ok as long as they fit into their agenda. I mean he says it right there.