Thoughts on TP-Link Archer C7

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
I know it's a little bit older of a router but the price seems about right for my budget, right now it's $90 over on Amazon. I see mostly good reviews of the unit, at least the V2 and on. Anyone here have one? Thoughts? Opinions? I need to get away from my sporadic D-Link DIR-655 as it'll drop the wireless connection randomly throughout the week, sometimes once every couple days, sometimes a couple times a day always requiring a hard reboot. I just want something decent priced that will be solid not requiring regular reboots to be functional.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
I know it's a little bit older of a router but the price seems about right for my budget, right now it's $90 over on Amazon. I see mostly good reviews of the unit, at least the V2 and on. Anyone here have one? Thoughts? Opinions? I need to get away from my sporadic D-Link DIR-655 as it'll drop the wireless connection randomly throughout the week, sometimes once every couple days, sometimes a couple times a day always requiring a hard reboot. I just want something decent priced that will be solid not requiring regular reboots to be functional.

It's probably the best value in AC routers out there. I have had one for almost 4 years (v1) replacing my D-Link 825. I was nothing but pleased. You can buy a more expensive router with more features but this is more than enough for 95% of households out there.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Tested many different ones. It is old, but performance is good, feature set is previous Wave 1 AC. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one. Why? Wave 2 AC routers are far more common in the low $100 prices when on sale.

I got the Asus RT-AC87U ebay refurb for $105. Target and Walmart has clearances on the Asus RT-AC68R for as low as $70. I was able to get one at $80. Additionally a few Target stores has clearance prices on the TP-Link Google Onhub at $140. They are aggressive with clearances too another store in my area has it for $100 and obviously sold out.

By the way, for those trying to solve dead areas the Onhub in 3 of the 4 homes I used it in is FANTASTIC. It's OVER simplified configuration options will frustrate your enthusiast but I got used it. It's future is bright, it is capable of MU-MIMO which is an AC Wave 2 feature, but Google is dragging it's feet even getting IPV6 on it.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Tested many different ones. It is old, but performance is good, feature set is previous Wave 1 AC. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one. Why? Wave 2 AC routers are far more common in the low $100 prices when on sale.

I got the Asus RT-AC87U ebay refurb for $105. Target and Walmart has clearances on the Asus RT-AC68R for as low as $70. I was able to get one at $80. Additionally a few Target stores has clearance prices on the TP-Link Google Onhub at $140. They are aggressive with clearances too another store in my area has it for $100 and obviously sold out.

By the way, for those trying to solve dead areas the Onhub in 3 of the 4 homes I used it in is FANTASTIC. It's OVER simplified configuration options will frustrate your enthusiast but I got used it. It's future is bright, it is capable of MU-MIMO which is an AC Wave 2 feature, but Google is dragging it's feet even getting IPV6 on it.

If you can find something like an AC68R or $70 then you should jump on it, although I have owned both and found no performance difference between the two.

I wouldn't take an AC-87U (new or refurb) over a C7.

Feb 25, 2011
I would probably prefer something newer, but I have an ASUS RT-AC66U (which is pretty similar to the C7) and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade. I wouldn't kick a C7 out of bed for eating crackers, in other words.

If you're on a budget and the C7 is the best you can afford, well, that's not such a bad thing.