Thoughts on the new 7800 XT

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
Story: I've been holding out from an GTX 1080 (EVGA) for a realistic 100-150% or more FPS upgrade at a reasonable price ($500 ish).

Mostly just play: Cyberpunk, Witcher 3, Skyrim. And play RPG's like ESO, EQ (dependent more on CPU than GPU)

Will possibly play Starfield (but it seems to be the new Crysis).

So honestly is the 7800 XT a decent upgrade of 100-150% FPS?

And if so what's the good vendor on the AMD side?

XFX/ Sapphire/ Powercolor?? what order would you rank em?

Thanks

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The RX 7800XT should be a huge upgrade over your GTX 1080, but as you alluded to, how much uplift you will see will also depend on your other components, mostly CPU and motherboard. What is your current CPU and motherboard? I mention motherboard, because if you have an older setup with no PCIe gen4 support, this might also impact the performance of higher end GPUs a bit.

As for brands, I think Sapphire and Powercolor are always safe bets these days for nice cards, but would also consider ASRock, MSI and XFX depending on deals and the particular model and it's reviews. Though I do think the cards are always going to be Red Devil or NItro+ models.

Reactions: Ajay

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
The RX 7800XT should be a huge upgrade over your GTX 1080, but as you alluded to, how much uplift you will see will also depend on your other components, mostly CPU and motherboard. What is your current CPU and motherboard? I mention motherboard, because if you have an older setup with no PCIe gen4 support, this might also impact the performance of higher end GPUs a bit.

As for brands, I think Sapphire and Powercolor are always safe bets these days for nice cards, but would also consider ASRock, MSI and XFX depending on deals and the particular model and it's reviews. Though I do think the cards are always going to be Red Devil or NItro+ models.

Upgraded to a 12600k last year from a Ryzen 5 1600. That was a huge jump even with the old video card especially in MMORPG's that depend more on cpu than gpu.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Starfield premium comes with the 7800XT if you order before the promotion ends on the 30th. So order before then even if you have to wait for delivery. Right now the models on Amazon are not expected to ship until first or second week of October. I am going with the Powercolor Hellhound since it is only $520 and excellent reviews from techpowerup an Computerbase.

I was eyeing the ASRock Steel Legend on Newegg, but I don't want to pay with a CC.