Thoughts on the 5th gen 4runner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Previously, I'd never given the 4runner much of a thought and even thought it was a bit ugly, but I'm starting to warm up to the 5th gen. It has terrible mileage (I drive a LOT), the powertrain is ancient, it's ride is not very refined, I don't rock crawl or go on intense off road excursions, it's expensive and not luxurious...but for some reason I'm being drawn to it. The interior space, 4wd, resale, and perceived reliability/indestructibility are very appealing. Sure my versa has gotten me most places I'd like to go, but I've been stopped by roads that are a bit too muddy, gravel/dirt roads with pot holes just a bit too deep, and a stream crossing a road before. The only silver lining, cost wise, is that full insurance would be a bit cheaper than a camry/fusion/accord. And if I really wound up not liking it the resale is very good.

Does anyone here own one or has anyone been eyeing one lately?

Evilviking

Jun 2, 2013
They've grown on me too. They look mean. I've been eye balling trucks and suv"s for awhile now. But, I would personally save 10k and buy a Forester. They are pretty capable off roading. (At least for my needs) Check out youtube videos.

The awd 2016 cx5 is another one. 2016 4wd explorer. Or a jeep

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I would go test drive a Lexus GX470...same driveline as a Tundra, V8 4Runner, Sequoia, and 100-series Landcruiser (i.e. indestructible). Far more luxurious than a 4Runner and just as capable offroad, and they're fairly cheap on the used market.

I love mine.
MjwCfSA.png

They come with a normal roofrack, smaller tires and steps, but I don't have any pictures of mine stock...but there's plenty on google. :p

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
I've been looking at the current 4R as well as the '16 Tacoma. Given the wife's desire to do a kitchen reno, my car purchase will take place at some point next year, but really intrigued by it after deciding to branch out from just a 4 door sedan.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
They've grown on me too. They look mean. I've been eye balling trucks and suv"s for awhile now. But, I would personally save 10k and buy a Forester. They are pretty capable off roading. (At least for my needs) Check out youtube videos.

The awd 2016 cx5 is another one. 2016 4wd explorer. Or a jeep

The forester is definitely in the running and is priced (more) right. My parents have one so one benefit is I can get in a real test drive easily if need be. I've pretty much crossed out all mazdas due to the lack of sound insulation. I like the explorers but they seem a bit too mommy-mobile-ish to me. The jeep cherokee would be a shoe-in if it wasn't for the failure-prone 9 speed zf transmission. I'd love to be cruising at 1600 rpm doing 80mph though.

I would go test drive a Lexus GX470...same driveline as a Tundra, V8 4Runner, Sequoia, and 100-series Landcruiser (i.e. indestructible). Far more luxurious than a 4Runner and just as capable offroad, and they're fairly cheap on the used market.

I love mine.
MjwCfSA.png

They come with a normal roofrack, smaller tires and steps, but I don't have any pictures of mine stock...but there's plenty on google. :p

Man that looks nice, but unfortunately I would have to be looking at like 5 year old, 80k+ mile GX460s to get in the same price range as a new low end 4wd 4runner. Great suggestion though, and I'll keep it in mind.

I've been looking at the current 4R as well as the '16 Tacoma. Given the wife's desire to do a kitchen reno, my car purchase will take place at some point next year, but really intrigued by it after deciding to branch out from just a 4 door sedan.

If I do decide to go 4runner I'd be tempted to wait until next year too since that's when the rumored refresh is supposed to be coming. I'd assume it be similar to the Tacoma and come with the new (to the 4runner) but still ancient 6 spd and 3.5l v6 which would hopefully bump it's mileage up about 10%ish.

Last edited:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
The GX470 held out til '09, so if you don't mind going that far back, you should find something for less than a used GX460.

I would at least take a look at them, though. The interior is amazing next to a 4Runner.

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
The question becomes, are you really in need of an SUV. If not, go with an explorer, highlander, CRV etc.. The 4 Runner rides the way it does because it's still a truck where the rest of the field are now suv bodies on a sedan chassis. This was why I actually went with the 4Runner. If you buy it for what it is, you're not going to be disappointed. If you want "smooth and refined," it's not the vehicle for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.